GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 06:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?

Well, I've been thinking hard the last few weeks.. I been thinking of retiring my 2nd Gen GS and parting everything out and putting my energy on getting the 3rd GEN Gs.... Times are changing and I am not sure how long the 2nd Gen GS will still have the "appeal" factor it once held so greatly to people.. I am not sure if its "worth" to still mod my GS... I had big plans for the spring 2005 for my car.. I was literally dialing up SRT and asking Mo to make an appointment for me to install the stage 2 turbo, but I hung up the phone at the last second.... I remember when I first got my first GS back in 98 (gs4), I drove that car to death, put 150,000 miles on it then traded it to my brother-in-law for his much less mileage GS3.. Now I want my power back that i had in my GS4, and almost pulled the trigger for the turbo.... After debating to myself back and forth.. I don't know what to do...

What do you guys think? The second gen GS still have that appeal factor once the 3rd gen GS comes out? Once it comes out the price for the 2nd gen gs will plummet and will see more 'ghetto' gs's rolling around with funky bodykits and oh god "add-on spinners"...

This is one of the most current pic I have on my car at HIN last year, I added a few other minor mods to it, but I just don't know if its time to move on....
Attached Thumbnails Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?-dmanhin.jpg  
Old 01-04-05, 06:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Well, I've been thinking hard the last few weeks.. I been thinking of retiring my 2nd Gen GS and parting everything out and putting my energy on getting the 3rd GEN Gs.... Times are changing and I am not sure how long the 2nd Gen GS will still have the "appeal" factor it once held so greatly to people.. I am not sure if its "worth" to still mod my GS... I had big plans for the spring 2005 for my car.. I was literally dialing up SRT and asking Mo to make an appointment for me to install the stage 2 turbo, but I hung up the phone at the last second.... I remember when I first got my first GS back in 98 (gs4), I drove that car to death, put 150,000 miles on it then traded it to my brother-in-law for his much less mileage GS3.. Now I want my power back that i had in my GS4, and almost pulled the trigger for the turbo.... After debating to myself back and forth.. I don't know what to do...

What do you guys think? The second gen GS still have that appeal factor once the 3rd gen GS comes out? Once it comes out the price for the 2nd gen gs will plummet and will see more 'ghetto' gs's rolling around with funky bodykits and oh god "add-on spinners"...

This is one of the most current pic I have on my car at HIN last year, I added a few other minor mods to it, but I just don't know if its time to move on....
I love the 2nd gen but if you do mod your 3rd gen and go to the show cirvuit it will be a rare beast.
Old 01-04-05, 06:15 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why sell, retire your car if you enjoy it. This car has only been around for a few year's the car look's sharp nice clean not to much I say just right but it's your mind,& your $$$$ do it because you want to if that's what you feel I say keep it and get the new G too. Have both after all it's only money.
Old 01-04-05, 06:40 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Andy

i saw you called today ...i need to talk you down of this ledge lol

i really wouldnt be worried about the Ghetto GS's

you have one of the sweetest GS''s on CL

i would give the 3rd gen a couple of years to kick in to see its full potential

be patient

-johnny
Old 01-04-05, 06:56 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends on how you feel about the 2nd and 3rd gen. I am still lukewarm on the 3rd gen and the hybrid is the only part that is truly getting me excited. I will see in a few years when there is a refresh and even then it is not a lock. This is my current thinking but sometimes things do change.

For now I am happy to have my 98 (bought in 98) and modding it.

You'll have to look at how you feel about the products. You will need to like it at the base level. Then if you want to mod, you will have to wait until there is enough support for it so you can have choices. Revisit CL in the early days (pre 01). The support was very sparse. Can you wait that long to mod? Or are you willing to spend $ now and maybe change it up later when there is more?

Good luck.
Old 01-04-05, 07:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you want to do what? Keep it, or buy a GS430 and put all your goods on that and then ditch your GS3 as stock. I don't care for 06 GS exterior at all, and I'd give em a year or two to work out bugs and see if they revise exterior.Besides, your car looks nice & clean now.
Old 01-04-05, 07:13 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i say wait as neo was suggesting for i too was about to jump off the same exact ledge for similar reasons and a couple of TRUE guys from the sc crew talked me out of it .. imagine , i was going to do a turbo sc and they themselves talked me out of it

the attention a fully and nicly modded 1 or 2 gen gs gets is still amazing in fact just today stopped by a nissan dealer (looking for a truck to buy ) stopped by ford stopped by my tmobile cell dealer and the reaction from the sales people running outside to get a closer look is priceless.. how about the reaction you get when you pull up to a lex dealer , i'll bet you will leave grinning from ear to ear..

i say keep on modding and enjoy for thats what i am going to do
Old 01-04-05, 07:27 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Keep the current one as a beater...... I am planning on keeping my until $%*&% god knows when it will break down on me. Even when that happens, I think I will keep it as a beater and buy a "LS"....
Old 01-04-05, 07:38 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with you fully 100% I too had big plans for my GS but now im just tired of the same car. Its like a girl. U get tired of waking up to the same thing everyday. I guess thats why im not married and have no plans to
Old 01-04-05, 07:54 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Whoa Andy, it's rather surprising for me to see you jump into conclusions already I know I've said this many many times, but you have one of the sweetest looking GS's around the NE, and it'd be a damn shame to see it retired anytime soon. Yes I really mean it
Old 01-04-05, 08:13 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

get em both!!!!
Old 01-04-05, 09:19 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I say give the 3rd Gen time to develop aftermarket support, and also work out any minor kinks. During that time have fun with your current vehicle.
Old 01-04-05, 09:44 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Get Off the Ledge!!!!!

Spend your money on the turbo bro. Don't jump too soon. No one can predict how and what will happen after the 3rd gen comes out. At least wait untill the 3rd gen is a couple of years old. Besides, you can show all the ghetto GS owners how to properly hook up a VIP ride like the one you have.
Will
Old 01-04-05, 10:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow........Thats a hard decision. Your GS is definitely one of the top on CL, and probably the best one i have seen in person.
IMO if u can get the new 06 GS430, i say do it, but i wouldn't retire ur GS for the 300. As far as the aftermarket support goes, i doubt it will take a long time for it to develop. At the very least, u will be able to lower it and put rims on right away.

Im in a similar situation as you, my lease is ending in a few months and im undecided whether to keep the GS or get something new.
Old 01-04-05, 10:08 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

d-man...your timing to pop this question could not have been better- i was in a similar situation few months ago. to me, basically it all comes down to these factors:

1. money/value of the car
based the historical value, " usually" when there is a new car model intro, the previous design will take a hit, such is true if the new design model is well received. then again, the opposite argument could hold as well. if this factor does not matter to you, then MOD ahead and try to sell the car later if you find yourself another new car that you GOTTA have

2. look of the car

this is a very very personal taste and decision. now when i see a nicely done GS, it still brings back nice memory as the GS, imho, is one of the best looking sport sedan, bar none

3. my few cents: if money does not play a BIG issue to you, AND you cannot find a suitable car for now(or do not have another car to drive), by all means keep and mod the GS. then pick up the 3rd gen GS few yrs from now when the car price is better with most the mods available from the land of rising sun

Quick Reply: Been Thinking Hard.. Is It Time To Retire My GS?