GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How reliable is "Snow Mode" on my 99GS4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 08:40 AM
RefinedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How reliable is "Snow Mode" on my 99GS4?

Just wonderin how reliable "snow mode" is on the 99GS4, cuz looks like the snow is startin to come down out my office window.

FYI, I am still running my 19's on 245/35 Toyo Proxes4...am I in trouble?

Thanks
RefGS
Old 01-06-05, 08:43 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RefinedGS
Just wonderin how reliable "snow mode" is on the 99GS4, cuz looks like the snow is startin to come down out my office window.

FYI, I am still running my 19's on 245/35 Toyo Proxes4...am I in trouble?

Thanks
RefGS
snow mode does not do a whole lot. It helps to limit wheelspin becuase the car will start in second gear instead of first but thats about it.
Old 01-06-05, 08:52 AM
LStyle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a GS stuck in the snow yesterday. That thing was rolling on 20's. Good Luck! Snow button is good imho. I tried yesterday and it made a difference. It's all about the driver!
Old 01-06-05, 08:55 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

snow mode won't help when you are on big rims

swap back to stock and you should be OK

get snow tires and you'll be coastin like woah
Old 01-06-05, 09:04 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Yup snow mode dont do @$^% so turn it off get some snow tires and have fun power sliding and drifting around all day. I sure do and it is real fun
Old 01-06-05, 09:38 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went throught this a few weeks ago. Snow and iced roads.

I have the fat setup on 19's and had no problems whatsoever in snow mode. Up/down hills, around curves, there wasn't any problems. Now if you gun it of course you'll spin like crazy. But if you drive like you should in snow, you'll be fine.
Old 01-06-05, 10:34 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 400DGRZ
But if you drive like you should in snow, you'll be fine.

there's the beauty in snow tires....you can afford to go as fast as you want w/o traction loss
Old 01-06-05, 10:35 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

The snow button just starts u off in 2nd gear..... guess that would limit the amount of power you have when taking off as opposed to starting in 1st. As for the way these cars drive in the snow.... WITH NO SNOW TIRES.... S***T!!!!!!!!!!! I refuse to drive my car ever again in the snow untill i invest in snow tires
Old 01-06-05, 11:03 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure about the GS, but in the LS, it does more then start you off in 2nd gear. It limits the pedal ratio so that it takes a lot more push to accelerate.
Old 01-06-05, 11:09 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Not sure about the GS, but in the LS, it does more then start you off in 2nd gear. It limits the pedal ratio so that it takes a lot more push to accelerate.
It may have something to do with the year also, 98 manual only speaks about the gearing, but others have told me about additonal features of the snow mode.
Old 01-06-05, 12:13 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

thanks for the responses yall.

I'll have to wait & see for myself. Stopped snowing, but roads might be icy later in the eve. Previously from a different discussion, I've also heard that SNOW MODE starts you off in 2nd gear to avoid the overevving in 1st gear, minimizing wheel spin (same as BigMoNYC's response).

Ride/Slide on, GS'rs!
Old 01-06-05, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BigMoNYC
The snow button just starts u off in 2nd gear..... guess that would limit the amount of power you have when taking off as opposed to starting in 1st. As for the way these cars drive in the snow.... WITH NO SNOW TIRES.... S***T!!!!!!!!!!! I refuse to drive my car ever again in the snow untill i invest in snow tires
Correct, it starts you in 2nd gear
Old 01-06-05, 01:36 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also changes throttle mapping so that a given amount of pedal won't produce as much throttle opening. Everything is designed to decrease the amount of torque available and to smooth/slow throttle inputs that would break the tires loose.

But your biggest problem is wide summer tires on a RWD car with an open differential. Don't know about your Toyos, but my Bridgestone S03s were absolutely useless if there was anything frozen on the road (including slush). And they weren't too hot even on dry roads below 40 F. Of course, I knew that when I bought them but some folks don't realize just how optimized rubber is for it's intended mission.
Old 01-06-05, 01:58 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
there's the beauty in snow tires....you can afford to go as fast as you want w/o traction loss

Yeah, but there's no way in hell I'm risking my $$ modded GS $$ just so I can speed in snow. That's stupid. I'll just leave my house early if I need to get anywhere.
Old 01-06-05, 02:03 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Also changes throttle mapping so that a given amount of pedal won't produce as much throttle opening. Everything is designed to decrease the amount of torque available and to smooth/slow throttle inputs that would break the tires loose.

But your biggest problem is wide summer tires on a RWD car with an open differential. Don't know about your Toyos, but my Bridgestone S03s were absolutely useless if there was anything frozen on the road (including slush). And they weren't too hot even on dry roads below 40 F. Of course, I knew that when I bought them but some folks don't realize just how optimized rubber is for it's intended mission.
Absolutely agreed. You can mash the pedal down in snow mode (on '99 GS) and you don't get anywhere near the acceleration that you would get in normal mode. Tries to prevent you from spinning out when giving a little too much throttle for conditions. Very useful if you have winter tires. Take a cab if you don't. Blizzaks, Michelin Pilot Alpin, or Pirelli Wintersports recommended for Northeast winters, makes a HUGE difference.

Quick Reply: How reliable is "Snow Mode" on my 99GS4?