GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

window tint ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-01, 01:35 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got a window fix-it ticket and i really don't want to take the tint off and put it back on again and i have tried to find some friends that knew so cops to just get it signed off but no luck. so is there anyway i can get this ticket signed off without removing the tint? i'm thinking bout using my uncles GS300 and take that to the cops and sign it off. help please
Old 05-14-01, 01:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by GS3-Kid858
i've got a window fix-it ticket and i really don't want to take the tint off and put it back on again and i have tried to find some friends that knew so cops to just get it signed off but no luck. so is there anyway i can get this ticket signed off without removing the tint? i'm thinking bout using my uncles GS300 and take that to the cops and sign it off. help please

See if that license plate switching trick will work. But that's pretty much illegal and I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe you should consider getting your front tint lighter than the back ones. That's what I did, and I never got in trouble for tint.

Or roll down your windows when you drive.

Or do a really good job on the tint, like cut the tint paper to the edge of the windows so in case you are asked to show the police officer your windows, it won't look like there's tint. (Mine looks like there's not tint. It's cut to the edge.)
Old 05-14-01, 04:42 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

did u put the tint on urself or did someone put it on for u??
Old 05-14-01, 06:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a stereo/tint shop did it for me. Very good quality IMO.
Old 05-15-01, 06:27 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tint

GS3Kid858,

it sounds like you may be SOL. If you do try and bring your uncle's GS and they do their job properly by matching the VIN you are screwed. Not only will they get you for the plate switch, but they'll probably try and get you on some type of forgery or misrepresentation in a court of law as well. There is only one "legal" way of getting the tint ticket fixed, and that is if you have a medical reason for it being so dark. Otherwise I am afraid you are just asking for more trouble than it is worth. You always need to ask yourself what's my risk here and what's my reward. Its a no points ticket and just 2 windows that need to be re-tinted. You can get a lighter shade thats more reflective(mirror look) and that'll acheive what your looking for (no one can see in) or you can do what I (and others) have done and get the 2 front windows done legal and the rears darker - keep the sunshade on the moonroof closed and it'll look darker in the front.

Good Luck!
Old 05-15-01, 07:23 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Actually, I have a very easy way around it....
if your uncle drives a same car as you, then you can just take out your windows and switch it with his, then after they checked it you can then put back your original windows. It may take a little skill to take apart the doors but its really not that hard.

Take care.
Old 05-15-01, 08:25 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Yeah, you have to go to an eye doctor saying you have problems with sunlight and need dark tints. Its a bunch of bull**** you have to do to get "approved tints". You know whats even more messed up? Some cops STILL give you tickets for tints EVEN THOUGH ITS LEGAL TINT. One cop told me that NYC law is you CAN'T HAVE ANY SORT OF TINT on the side of your car EXCEPT for factory.

I dunno about that, I have to check that one.

There has to be a way.....
Old 05-15-01, 09:49 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Hey GS3-kid858

Where are you located in San Diego area? I know a place that would take that tint off for you at no charge. (Tint Devil, at Miramar) You can then have them put it back on with a lighter shade so that you won't be in trouble next time. I have my front window tinted with very light shade for the same reason (no hassle from our law enforcers). You would think that being in San Diego with sooooo much sun that they would understand why some people need a darker tint for their cars.

Definitely do the right way, take the tint off and have your car signed off first before you put a lighter tint back on.

Good luck
Old 05-15-01, 12:33 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

Default Hey Kajukenbo

i'm located near the utc area how bout u? so ur telling me that tint devil will remove the tint without charge? then how much to put the tint back on? thanks
Old 05-15-01, 12:41 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

also why do some prefer the mirror type tint as opposed to the normal dark tint? is it because of the reflection?
Old 05-15-01, 01:11 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

the mirror tint looks cool. if you have a silver car w/mirrored tint, the whole car looks like a speeding silver bullet!
Old 05-15-01, 08:13 PM
got rice?

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
You know whats even more messed up? Some cops STILL give you tickets for tints EVEN THOUGH ITS LEGAL TINT. One cop told me that NYC law is you CAN'T HAVE ANY SORT OF TINT on the side of your car EXCEPT for factory.

I dunno about that, I have to check that one.
In NY, the front can be 70%, rear 70%, back window as dark as you want.

As long as you comply those numbers and can prove it, all you need to do is bring the NY DMV statute with you to the appeal and you should be free to go.

PA has the worst tint law....
Old 05-16-01, 12:39 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

GS3-KID858,

send me a private email, maybe we can hook up sometime. I will show you the tint that I have on my car. I have extra dark (non-reflective) for the back windows. I have the light reflective on the front due to the fact that I did not want to get a ticket

Maybe we can meet at the tint devil place over at Miramar sometime this week, if you want. I am also located in the North county area.
Old 05-16-01, 08:27 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down NY Tint Law

Dieselman/got rice?,

Someone had posted a link to the NY law back on the old CL site, it was updated in 1993 and I'm pretty sure it was changed to no tint allowed except for the back window. Now anyone with a sport utility knows that most SUV's come with the rear backlight and door windows tinted so its a stupid law because the manufacturers are not abiding by it. But like I said I think it was no tint at all (hasn't stopped me though), I'll try and find the link and post it again.
Old 05-16-01, 09:47 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Johnny Mo, I think you are right, I remember a cop saying that only the back windows are allowed tints. He also said that giving tickets for tints is a big money maker for the city. Though if you look at the cars in the city , like 90% of cars have tints. It depends on if the cop likes your face or not

Quick Reply: window tint ticket