GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Snow Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 09:55 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Mode

I was wondering if there is any difference in driving conditions on a GS430 when its in snow mode besides the car speed?
I notice that the car pushes slower but should I feel any ride difference?
any input would be great
Old 01-08-05, 11:38 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Ride difference? Ummm...no. The GS430 doesn't have adjustable suspension tied into snow mode as far as I know. Snow Mode does: Alther accelerator pedal tip in, starts in 2nd gear, alters fuel/spark curve to deliver power "softer".
Old 01-09-05, 08:57 AM
LEXO
Driver

I know for the GS400 the "Snow button" doesn't work , well at least for me it didn't. Last year I was stuck several times in the snow, and I had to call by boys to bail me out. It could of also been some really icey snow....needless to say I never drive the GS400 in even light snow.
Old 01-09-05, 09:07 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXO
needless to say I never drive the GS400 in even light snow.
Me 2 bro... The snow mode just makes the cars power delivery to the ground a little less!
U start in 2nd instead of 1st.

U feel the car is laggy and will not pull as hard(like an old man) and eats way more gas in this mode.

But having said all of this... U still need a LSD and some good winter tires in order to get the most out of the snow mode.

If U got no traction ie: summer tires what can the snow mode do for u? Nothing!

I remember when I first got my Gs4, I couldn't get from one side of my plaza to the next side, it was awful!
Old 01-09-05, 10:56 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

I asked this cause I was just trying out the snow mode when I was on the highway and when i was driving on the highway with snow mode on it felt that my car felt more bouncy and that the steering wheel felt more sensitive. unlike BMWs where the steering wheel is tighter.
Old 01-09-05, 03:26 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

SNOW mode does, as pointed out, start the car in second gear. However, it also changes shift points and, more importantly, throttle mapping so that a given prod of the accelerator does not produce as much acceleration. All this is designed to slow up and smooth out the flow of torque to the rear wheels to help prevent spinning one rear wheel. Of course, traction control still comes into play, but tis better to maintain smoothly applied power than the draconian way in which our traction control works, at least as long as one is interested in forward progress.

It has no effect on steering and CAN'T have any effects on the suspension since we don't have an active suspension system.
Old 01-10-05, 02:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
SNOW mode does, as pointed out, start the car in second gear. However, it also changes shift points and, more importantly, throttle mapping so that a given prod of the accelerator does not produce as much acceleration. All this is designed to slow up and smooth out the flow of torque to the rear wheels to help prevent spinning one rear wheel. Of course, traction control still comes into play, but tis better to maintain smoothly applied power than the draconian way in which our traction control works, at least as long as one is interested in forward progress.

It has no effect on steering and CAN'T have any effects on the suspension since we don't have an active suspension system.
yup, this is right on, this is exactly how the snow mode works. we don't ahve snow here in cali, but i tried it out the other day in pouring rain, it helps, specially that i have the tc and the lsd and my car takes off so fast. but with that it's doing, i really don't see how it's going to help much on real snow

my friend he has gs430 with tc, he put it on snow mode the other day when going to ski. he said it was so hard to control the car
Old 01-10-05, 06:11 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

what's tc?

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, this is right on, this is exactly how the snow mode works. we don't ahve snow here in cali, but i tried it out the other day in pouring rain, it helps, specially that i have the tc and the lsd and my car takes off so fast. but with that it's doing, i really don't see how it's going to help much on real snow

my friend he has gs430 with tc, he put it on snow mode the other day when going to ski. he said it was so hard to control the car
Old 01-10-05, 06:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most the time I notice the snow mode is when moving from stopped and or if your going around a snowy corner, as MT noted, tap the accel to hard without it and your sliding, the snow button prevents it..........
Old 01-10-05, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nyczdave
what's tc?
traction control