GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gas Problems After Replacing Fuel Filter..... Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 09:24 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gas light comes on at about 15.5 gallons.
Old 01-10-05, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
I actually have filled up 17 gallons on my car before and that was with the gas light on awhile and past the last line on the gauge.

Tommy
man careful, you can damage the fuel pump

johnny, it could be true, just some very much left over gas in the tank?
Old 01-10-05, 05:56 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man careful, you can damage the fuel pump

johnny, it could be true, just some very much left over gas in the tank?
Yeah I know. That was only one time when I was really getting my moneys worth with the high gas prices.

Tommy
Old 01-10-05, 11:00 PM
salimshah

Received 1,066 Likes on 960 Posts

I think the issue is not about the capacity... it is about the indicator. I would check the fuel level sensor in the tank. I am not sure about GS, but some cars have the pump/filter and sensor on the same assembly.

Salim
Old 01-23-05, 12:24 AM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys.... Problem SOLVED....

Finally after the THIRD time going back to Luxury Motorworks, my problem is fixed. I filled up tonight and tank and meter are full. Apparently, the hoses were installed backwards and one of the hoses was kinked. Not sure why this was not noticed by them the first two times I went back, but thankfully today, Steve, the Master Lexus Tech, looked at it and fixed it for me free of charge. I'm just kind of pissed because this is the third time that they looked at this problem and they told me that I had bad sensors and were going to sell me 2 gas tank sensors for $150, which I now know I didn't need. I mean, LMW are cool and nice people, but it just seems like this is something the other techs should have caught the first time. In the end the problem is fixed and I didn't have to spend any more money, but just kind of venting frustration that it took so long and was almost charged for parts I didn't need.

Tommy
Old 01-24-05, 03:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

tommy, good to know that the problem is finally solved. nothing beats that feeling afterall
Old 01-24-05, 01:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
Well guys.... Problem SOLVED....

Finally after the THIRD time going back to Luxury Motorworks, my problem is fixed. I filled up tonight and tank and meter are full. Apparently, the hoses were installed backwards and one of the hoses was kinked. Not sure why this was not noticed by them the first two times I went back, but thankfully today, Steve, the Master Lexus Tech, looked at it and fixed it for me free of charge. I'm just kind of pissed because this is the third time that they looked at this problem and they told me that I had bad sensors and were going to sell me 2 gas tank sensors for $150, which I now know I didn't need. I mean, LMW are cool and nice people, but it just seems like this is something the other techs should have caught the first time. In the end the problem is fixed and I didn't have to spend any more money, but just kind of venting frustration that it took so long and was almost charged for parts I didn't need.

Tommy
Glad it got fixed

you have no idea how many places will sell you stuff you dont need

what you should aklways do is ask for the old part

this way you know they put it in
Old 01-12-06, 08:10 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get 17.8 gallons in my tank a few days ago.
I have 255/35-20s on so my odomoter is off a bit but it said I had 367 miles on that tank which isnt bad for a city/highway mix
I figure I had really driven close to 385 or so.
Oh, and yes the needle was below E. and NO guys you are not going to hurt the pump by not having a bunch of fuel in it.Yes the pump uses the fuel running through it to cool itself but if you run out of fuel the engine will die and the pump will shut off way before it would ever be damaged from a lack of fuel.
Old 01-12-06, 08:34 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by LMSguy
I was able to get 17.8 gallons in my tank a few days ago.
I have 255/35-20s on so my odomoter is off a bit but it said I had 367 miles on that tank which isnt bad for a city/highway mix
I figure I had really driven close to 385 or so.
Oh, and yes the needle was below E. and NO guys you are not going to hurt the pump by not having a bunch of fuel in it.Yes the pump uses the fuel running through it to cool itself but if you run out of fuel the engine will die and the pump will shut off way before it would ever be damaged from a lack of fuel.

Are you related to Luxury motorworks? What does your LMS stand for? Luxury motor sport guy?
Old 01-12-06, 08:37 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

My old company was Lincoln Motor Sport. I owned the west coast shop in vegas while my partner had the east coast shop in jersey. He is still open for business, I however have moved on to a different career field.

http://www.lincolnmotorsport.com/
Old 01-12-06, 08:51 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Oh and most of the custom parts that you see on the website were built entirely by me
Other stuff was Cobra stuff that I adapted to make work.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Problems After Replacing Fuel Filter..... Help!!!-4.jpg  
Old 01-12-06, 10:34 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

LMSGUY,
I have to disagree with you about running your car out of fuel. ANYONE can do it once or occasionally, but this should not be a normal occurrence. The fuel pump DOES use the fuel to cool the pump as you alluded to. That is serious enough. But the real damage comes from some potential trash in your tank that clogs the filter and starves the pump. This trash stays at the bottom of the tank most of the time, but swirls around during fill-up and when driving around.

The fuel pump assembly consists of 3.parts, the float and resistor assembly, the PUMP, and the MOTOR. The pump andmotor are connected by a common shaft. The motor has 12 volts going through it, and is insulated from the fuel. A nearly empty tank will cause the pump to suck dirt that is most likely in the bottom of the tank. As the filter plugs up with the dirt and trash, the filter starts to collapse, and eventually the pump will start slowing down. This puts a drag on the motor until it starts to hum loudly. This also affects the fuel pump relay by putting excessive current on the contacts.

It will eventually burn itself out under these conditions, and usually at a very inopportune time. Do as you like, but there are consequences to running your fuel tank low or out of fuel repeatedly, including engine misfires, as the pump fails to keep the proper pressure and flow to the fuel injectors.

I know that the majority of GS owners have their fuel lights come on too soon. That is a float problem, but we know our cars pretty well. I know I fill up sooner than I should because of the fuel light on the dash. I have never run my car out of gas, as I try to fill up as soon as the light comes on or shortly thereafter. The most I have put in is 14 to 15 gallons in this GS. Once I did 16.7 gallons in my first GS. I was terrified because I was on the highway, and due to a traffic jam I was stuck in, I ran it lower than I would have liked. I just don't make a habit of it.

Just m $.02
Old 01-13-06, 03:15 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

I dont think anyone here is going to run their lexus out of fuel continually.Enough said.
Old 01-13-06, 09:37 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Then we are in agreement. There should be no argument. In fact, I will go back and review your post, and if I am wrong, I will retract my whole post and issue you an apology.

My intent was definitely not to inflame you. I may be wrong in this instance, but I know people who continually try to see how far they can go on a tank of gas. Some people are really busy, and think of gas as an afterthought. They don't look until they run out. It is THESE people I was referring to.

I have 23 year old twin daughters who both have cars, and I know that gas is the last thing on their minds. When I saw that they were runnning their tanks low as a regular habit, I talked to them about it. They didn't run out, but ran REAL low more than once. I suspect that they are not the only ones out there doing this.

So please take my comments constructively, because THAT is how they were meant. This IS a forum, after all.

Have a great day!
Old 01-13-06, 11:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually, for the record, i damaged my whole fuel pump (lost pressure) when i ran out of gas on the freeway and the car shut down in the middle of the road. so it could definitely happen. likely or not i don't know, it's definitely not something a lot of people would try

Quick Reply: Gas Problems After Replacing Fuel Filter..... Help!!!