GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

driver side window air leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-01, 11:21 AM
Navidf

I have a 98 GS400 that I bought from Crown Lexus in California and have been fixing rattles/noises since I got it a few months ago. If I were you, I would avoid that dealership completely: the service department is imcompetent, rude, and fairly useless. That story, however, is for another post.
I have been slowly getting my car up to par through Riverside Lexus and they are everything Crown is not. That dealership is a class act!
I am having one problem though that seems to be going no where and I would appreciate any input from you guys.
I have wind noise from the corner of driver side window. The dealership at Crown said it is the normal outside wind noise, but that is not true for the following reasons. The noise is not there on the passenger side at all and when the weather is hot, the noise from my side decreases dramatically (I guess due to expansion from the heat) until I lower the window and then it is there again (and reamins despite closing the window). I know it is the seal where the window goes up (and it is most likely a slight seal issue). We have tried various things including changing the molding on the outside (which helped a little). Now we don't know what else to do short of change the door. I thought about adding a layer of thicker tint to the upper portion of the window where is slides into its groove, but the mechanic said it will just peel off.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Old 05-15-01, 11:35 AM
disc108
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Navidf
I have a 98 GS400 that I bought from Crown Lexus in California and have been fixing rattles/noises since I got it a few months ago. If I were you, I would avoid that dealership completely: the service department is imcompetent, rude, and fairly useless.

I also bought my car from Crown Lexus and i have to agree with you. Their service department sucks big time. They are extremely rude and treat you like an idiot. I had wanted to get my ECU changed because of the 'hesitation problem' and they denied that there was a fix for it. So i brought him the fix # (or whatever its called) and when I went to pick up my car, he gave me back my paper, told me i didnt need it, and walked away quickly. I will NEVER go there again. I also feel this way about Tustin Lexus but since they are 5 min. away, I really dont have much of a choice.

I also think I might have your problem. What I do is that I usually just open and then close your window. You might be hearing windnoise from the side mirror. I sometimes hear window noise and i sometimes dont so.. *shrug*
Old 05-16-01, 10:23 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

You guys should give Longo Lexus a shot. Longo dealership are known for its customer services. I live in San Diego, and my car is serviced through Longo. They come to my house and service my car.....I know, I know, my neighbors think that I am spoiled!

Wind noise has been a problem with GS even with new 01 GS430. There are some old posting by other memebers that had same issues as you guys have.

Hope this help

Kaju
Old 05-16-01, 10:51 AM
Rich

I'm not intimately familiar with the doors of the GS but other makes / models have
mechanisms to adjust the position of the glass relative to the door (and the
weatherstripping). You have to remove the inner door panel to get to it. Since it's
probably not covered under warranty the dealers don't want to spend the time to
experiment. You have to replace the door panel each time to check your work. I've
found that the best way to get preferrential treatment is find out who the shop forman
is and ask for him to work on your car. The foreman should be more knowedgeable, and
if you show your appreciation with nice tips he'll make sure he works on your car
exclusively. Also - don't tell the service writers of a problem such as that - speak to the
mechanic directly. Remember - the poor guy might make $16.00 / hour or so before taxes on the
work, and he has to punch a timecard out and in on your car to track the time. After taxes
it might be as little as $10.00 / hour. That's where the tip comes in - don't you think he'll
be happy to spend an hour fixing something like your leak if you give him a $20.00 bill?

I've did this for years when I had a Mazda. It also made sure my car was worked on
ahead of the others before me - I was usually able to wait for the car. That comes in
handy if it breaks down (who wants to drive an ES300 loaner when you have a GS400?)