GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rims choices!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-01, 08:56 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys,

I have been following this site for the past 2 months, and it has helped me tremendously, and I can just feel the love between all the lexus owners alright, getting overboard, but just want to thank everyone for their individual opinions and suggestions.

My current dilemma, I have narrowed down to few choices for my rims, and I wanted some opinions on them. I am looking at 18x8.5, with 245/40/18 all around, just for simplicity of maintenance. Any opinions on ride comfort, weight, handling, durability, cost..etc, in order of importance. If anyone has experience, can you please give me a neighborhood number on $$$ that I need to save up for ?

Racing Hart C5 (is it the same as katana concept 5 or the Racing Hart C5 evo)
Volk Racing V3
Lowenhart LR5

I tried to put the pictures up, but not sure how the IMG tag works? or I tried attach file, but it doesn't show up in the preview! anyone wants to help, then I can put these pics up

Thanks,
Old 05-15-01, 10:10 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

both the Racing Hart C5 and the VolkRacing AV3s are played out. GS owners on this board have those wheels like RacingAristo with C5 and Mariusz (I think?) with AV3s. Hmmm, go with something more original I guess.

And Concept 5 is really some worthless knockoff which me and MANARAY totally disgusts. Quality is bad too.

LowenHart LR5s only come in 20s. So no 18in LR5 for u.
Old 05-15-01, 11:16 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey or you can sell the house and get some davin's youll be homeless but youd be doing it in style

but in a serious note Ive tride dunlop sp9000 245/45 18"s there awsome tyres but are alittle noisey but the grip the road there pretty spendy too for tyres ($240 a peice) I found that kumho ( who are aperantly made by dunlop ) have a better quiality and are quiter than dunlop thats what I have on my car right now and they cost me ( $135 a piece ) and they are 245/40 18"
Old 05-15-01, 11:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lex 430,

welcome and thanks for the kind words.

RH C5 is a 3-piece rim, c5 evo only comes in 1-piece and if i remember correctly, its largest is 18*7.5. but like globe said, too many out there, including copy cats , like the katana.

cost~less than $3k including good brand tyres as bridgestone re730(good traction AA rated, quiet, long lasting ~$200/ea.) if you want something lighter, yet still retain all the factors mentioned above, get TOYO T-1S, ~$100 more for a set of 4. according to Miguel(gs4power), out tyre weight guru, he loves toyo.

volk av3, too many, still good looking though . but if you really like them go for it. i think the price is about the same as the RH c5. you do not like other volks?

LR5-no 18"

Old 05-16-01, 02:21 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Concept 5? ABSOLUTE GARBAGE! Anyone who puts this on a car (no matter what car is) should be shot dead. Twice. With at LEAST a .45 ACP...using Corbon ammo...

(GlobeCLK )

Lex430, you seem to prefer the 5-spoke, 3-piece, "racer-ish" look judging by your rim choices (except the Lowenhart LR5...not really racer-ish)...3-piece rims are relatively expensive, just keep that in mind, but whatever you don't, don't downgrade your car by install "fake" 3-piece rims (1-piece rims that look like 3-piece rims). If you're going to fix up a Lexus, fix it up like a Lexus...not a Honda Civic.

I'm guessing you haven't had a car with aftermarket rims before (please correct me if I'm wrong!)...anyways, before you go and spend a ton of cash on some rims and tires, consider the following...

1) Are you ABSOLUTELY in love with the 5-spoke, 3-piece look. There are about a million different rims out there and you might want to check some more out before you make a decision. Swapping out rims and tires every time you change your mind on the aesthetics can ruin your bank account, your credit, and possibly, your relationship with your significant other.

2) What is your REALISTIC budget....at what point will HURT to spend the cash on rims and tires? $3000? $4000? $6000? $6000.01?

3) You should come to Club Lexus meet and actually RIDE in other people's GS's to see if you can live with 19" or 20" (18" really is too small for the GS in my opinion). You might be surprised...

4) Have you considered lowering your GS? A stock height GS looks rather high. Once you start putting larger rims on it, the wheel gap starts to really look PAINFULLY obvious.

Like I said, I would come to the Club Lexus meet and check out all the different rims that people have. Check out the different sizes, the lowering jobs, etc., etc...it's hard to imagine this stuff unless you've been into this kinda stuff for a while...

Last edited by Manaray; 05-16-01 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-16-01, 05:38 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I agree with Manaray---18's are way to small for the GS. You have a big-body car, you need a big wheel. If your love is for the speed, go 18's, but if you want to make your car stand out, go 20's. You can't beat the looks and props you will be getting. I say save up, and go all out, and get the Lowenhart LR5's. Go to some shows, and see the different styles of the GS according to other peoples taste. You'll see, nothing even comes close to rolling Dubs with a GS
Old 05-16-01, 07:55 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Thanks for all of your suggestions, manaray, you're right, first time shopping! It's quite overwhelming after reading all the archives on this site.

I guess I will look further, unless someone can point me in some direction that can help. I like simple 5 or 6 spoke design, a little "deep dish?" look, with studs around. I wasn't planning lowering the car, however, after much reading, I am now reconsidering.

My main concern again, good ride and handle, and I do not want to mess too much with the car's suspension..etc, I was told by friend that bigger wheels will wear out my suspension faster. I am allocating ~4k for wheels, but if I absolute love something, I would go up in $$$ and sufer the pains later! but, still trying to keep food on the table any suggestoins are welcome.

I was looking at Zenetti Vega, Lowenhart BS5, BR5, Manaray VR5, (please don't rip me on the Vega, I've seen some of your reactions ), but I still end up prefer the simple spoke, rather than the split spokes.

Old 05-16-01, 12:40 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Zenetti Vega - If you have ~$4K to spend, don't even bother looking at them...why not come to the Club Lexus meet this Saturday (19th) and ride in some GS's with 19's and 20's so you can actually feel the comfort level and you can compare it to your stock ride...that's the best way to know. I can tell you about it till I'm blue in the face but you won't REALLY know what it's like....know what I mean?

Personally, I like the LR5's. It's a good looking rim. As far as bigger wheels ruining your suspension, that's true only to a certain point. If you lower your car with springs (leaving the stock shocks), your shocks will wear out faster because they're ALWAYS compressed. But if you get a complete spring/shock set (or coil overs), this won't happen. I'ved owned lowered, big rimmed cars since I started driving and the only thing I've ever screwed up was ONE strut on my Honda Accord (back in like 1992 or something). I had a Lexus ES300 with 98K miles on it and the suspension system was perfect...just lowered with springs.
Old 05-16-01, 11:20 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default manaray

I guess I can agree with you on not choosing imitations, but why the passionate devotion of hate towards these wheels? Oh yeah, the "should be shot dead. Twice" quote was NOT cool! Have you ever been shot point blank in the face with a gun? I guess your statement answers that question. WELL I HAVE! It's NOT cool and I am blessed to be alive. You may have just been kidding, but realize what your saying.
Old 05-17-01, 03:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Of course I was kidding about the being shot dead thing! Shooting someone over a rim choice is obviously ridiculous...how the hell did you get shot?

I don't hate Zenetti's in particular (or their owners, contrary to popular belief!), I just hate rims that knock-off the design of another rim AND I hate rims that fake the 3-piece look.

I can get into the whole cheeziness factor of such things but I'm sure everyone's see my multi-page posts on that subject matter.
Old 05-17-01, 09:54 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Long story, but someone came to the window of my car and shot me. Broken jaw(3places), 4 teeth, 6Hour surgery. About a year&1/2 ago. Big ups to the surgeon! Amazing! Life is great!!!
Old 05-17-01, 09:05 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Hey 400DGRZ:

You should be praising God for your new life! What a story, man.

Bobcat
John 3:16
Old 05-17-01, 11:14 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Yes! I do. Daily!
Old 05-18-01, 12:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

400DGRZ - Damn, that's crazy! Definitely lucky to be alive. What caliber did you get shot with? Single shot or Multiple? I'm not particularly religious but someone higher up likes ya!

A buddy of mine got shot through the bottom of his jaw and the bullet ended up in his tongue. Still there to this day...doctors said it's benign and not worth taking out...my other friend (who's a dentist) has a x-ray of it just chillin' in his tongue...

Old 05-19-01, 12:01 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

No doubt, lucky to be alive! Got hit with a 9mm hollow point. One shot, actually went in my arm, b/c of my natural reflex to "shield" myself, out the top of my shoulder, into my jaw. It actually missed all muscle tissue in my arm, and only grazed my tongue. The experience changed and gave new meaning to my life. Yes, I am liked very much by Christ my Savior. I have been blessed with extraordinary favor ever since. In the meantime I have acquired a Lexus(haha), and have been able to sign a record contract with my group. I am still the same person in my Walk. Still keep it real, still got my respect, and don't get taken for granted. I don't see how I could have a better life! Jer.29:11 IISam.6:14
P.S. What's up Bobcat

Quick Reply: Rims choices!