GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Luv my GS430, just a few complaints

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 06:20 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luv my GS430, just a few complaints

I bought this car ~3 weeks ago. Loaded '02 GS430 for $24.5. I just took it on a 350 mile sales trip and I noticed a few things that I wish were better.

- No chime when the turn signal is left on too long.

- The interior door handles leak cold air big time! I was driving into the wind in Wisconsin and I had to wear gloves....

- The wood wheel is freezing cold and slippery. After three weeks of driving with this steering wheel, I have to say I'd rather have all leather. Since I already have gloves on from the door handle air leaks, I guess it's a wash.

- No light in the armrest storage areas.

- The sun-roof tips open in one step. I can't open it a 1/2" to vent smoke, it's all the way (~2") or nothing.

- Stereo turns off when the engine is turned off instead of staying on until the door is opened.

- The in-dash cassette, did Lexus used to have 8-tracks too? The cassette be swapped out for a CD that plays MP3s.

- Ashtray is useless for cigars.

- Glove box is tiny, the freaking owners manual doesn't really fit in it.

Pretty short list, all minor. Compared to my Impala SS, it's like night and day.
Old 01-12-05, 06:51 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The door handle shouldn't leak. That sounds like a defect, not a design compromise like everything else in your list. And I agree with you wholeheartedly on the wood steering wheel. It looks great, but the feel sucks.
Old 01-12-05, 06:52 AM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should trade it in for a GM car, youll have everything u want, even get to take it to the dealership quarterly for repairs!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,i think u should get rid of it oh yeah as far as your smoking issues, maybe its divine intervention from upstairs, someone looking out for your health
Old 01-12-05, 07:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

I prefer the leather wheel as well over the wood wheel in my LS as well, cold or warm.

You can have the dealer turn up the amount of noise the turn signal makes through the cbest system in the GS. It won't give you a chime, but will make it more noticable.

No 8-tracks on Lexus, even though I think you were being faceitous. The cassette is a bona-fide interface method for many external devices to the stereo though and many people would miss it.

Definitely get the dealer to look into the air leaks through the handle - sounds a bit unusal. Maybe some folks from some of the colder areas of the country/Canada can chip in if they've experienced the same thing.
Old 01-12-05, 08:05 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like dave said you might want to get the air leak in your door handle checked out it's like -45 C today and with high winds and I dont have that problem, in fact i have never had that problem.
Old 01-12-05, 08:17 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I didnt know you could adjust the blinker noise, that has been an issue for me since I bouthg the car in 98. I can never tell if it is on or not becuase the wheel blocks my view of the blinker indicator. I will hve the dealer turn min up soon thanks.
Old 01-12-05, 09:06 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1st off congrats on the car, as far as the issues i guess its better than electrical issues or engine issues..lol all cars have minor things wrong. i just think its better that they just be minor and not a combination of both minor and large. lol.. the leaking air is definately something to take back and get checked..
Old 01-12-05, 09:20 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
- The sun-roof tips open in one step. I can't open it a 1/2" to vent smoke, it's all the way (~2") or nothing.
You can do this. You just have to press it twice.

Once to start the opening process and once where you want it. You've gotta be quick though. It's all about timing.
Old 01-12-05, 09:26 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
I bought this car ~3 weeks ago. Loaded '02 GS430 for $24.5. I just took it on a 350 mile sales trip and I noticed a few things that I wish were better.

- No chime when the turn signal is left on too long.

- The interior door handles leak cold air big time! I was driving into the wind in Wisconsin and I had to wear gloves....

- The wood wheel is freezing cold and slippery. After three weeks of driving with this steering wheel, I have to say I'd rather have all leather. Since I already have gloves on from the door handle air leaks, I guess it's a wash.

- No light in the armrest storage areas.

- Stereo turns off when the engine is turned off instead of staying on until the door is opened.

- The in-dash cassette, did Lexus used to have 8-tracks too? The cassette be swapped out for a CD that plays MP3s.

- Ashtray is useless for cigars.

- Glove box is tiny, the freaking owners manual doesn't really fit in it.

Pretty short list, all minor. Compared to my Impala SS, it's like night and day.

Congratulations on your car purchase. That sounds like a great price. How many miles?

I had no idea that their was a turn signal chime. I've got a 1999 GS400 so maybe some features are different.

The door leaks should be repaired.

I had never heard anyone complain about the wood steering wheel before. I have wanted to get one as I think they look really good. Maybe I should reconsider, but it does not get really cold here in Seattle Washington.

I had no idea that there is a light in the arm rest storage area.

I never use the sun roof but I know it does do the 1/2 inch thing.

My stereo stays on with engine off and even with the door open.

Every once in a while I listen to something on cassette so am glad it has that feature.

Why are you smoking at all?

Glove box is big enough.

Did you mean that the Impala SS had more problems or that you liked it better?

3dog
Old 01-12-05, 12:59 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

3dog, there's not a light in the armrest storage area; VB just wishes there were one. And the glove box IS too small. It ought to be able to hold the owner's leather folder; since it doesn't, there's plenty of room otherwise. (The RX330 is the same way, though it'll fit in the armrest storage area, unlike the GS.)

A wood wheel is going to be cold in the winter; after all, it's not fabric. Still better than those old plastic/bakelite wheels we used to have in the 60s and 70s.

And VetteBoy, as a physician, I should tell you not to smoke. Otoh, I also think there's nothing wrong with a good cigar on occasion. (But I don't smoke 'em in the GS; can't ever get rid of the smell.)
Old 01-12-05, 01:05 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Well how about this I will trade you my leather wheel for the wood one and then you one less compliant . You will be so happy after a couple more weeks. I had SS too all I can say is I glad I don't have to sit in that driver seat anymore and there are several more complaints on the car as well but that is long forgotten on to a car know that all I can say is oh yea
Old 01-12-05, 01:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
I had never heard anyone complain about the wood steering wheel before. I have wanted to get one as I think they look really good. Maybe I should reconsider, but it does not get really cold here in Seattle Washington.

My stereo stays on with engine off and even with the door open.
The feel of the wood wheels is a relatively common complaint. It looks nice but does have the hot/cold/driving feel problem.

Also, I think he meant when the car is off and not in the ACC mode. If your car does this, then it is different from my GS.

Vette Boy,

That is one great deal you got there.

LEXUS_KID,

Did you see my response to your thread? In this case, the (straight) swap won't work.
Old 01-12-05, 01:19 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

i dunno what you guys are talkin about....

air leaks are 1000% normal....EVERY SINGLE CAR EQUIPPED WITH A SUNROOF EXHIBITS THIS!!!
Old 01-12-05, 01:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
air leaks are 1000% normal....EVERY SINGLE CAR EQUIPPED WITH A SUNROOF EXHIBITS THIS!!!
But he was talking about the door handle. This would make your statement "every single car exhibits this!" As far as I can tell, my door handles don't leak.

I also forgot to say earlier that my Lexus manual/folder fits in my glovebox. Did the glovebox change for the newer models or did the folder change? Mine is a 98.
Old 01-12-05, 01:29 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
But he was talking about the door handle. This would make your statement "every single car exhibits this!" As far as I can tell, my door handles don't leak.

i know...Neo...do me a favor...tilt your sunroof and hop on the highway...set your climate control to recirculate air and put it on either floor and main vents or just main

feel by your door handle....it will exhibit cold air (relative to how cold or warm it is outside)

every single car with a sunroof (when tilted) on the highway with the vents on will exhibit this....somethin with the design.....

all i know is, my hyundai, my maximas, my altima, my celica, etc... all did this when the sunroof was tilted...the lexus is just soo quiet and refined it is that much more noticeable.

Quick Reply: Luv my GS430, just a few complaints