GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ride Quality Blows......(now that I've gone to 19" wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 03:09 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get better tires and road force balance the car. I have 19's and the lowfat 35f 30r set up with no problems. If you are running a fat set up you should be fine.
Old 01-12-05, 04:52 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you feel bro....you just need to understand that with lowering, low profile tires, 19 or 20" rims.....the ride will NOT be like stock....there is soo much more road feel and a lot bumpier....you can try make it as comfortable as possible having suspension like the tein cs or hks ls+ but still it will not feel as smooth and comfortable as with stock 16s.....however on the other hand...my car with the tein cs definitely helped increased my confidence around corners....and the look of the rims...is just sick the question is...are you willing to give up ride quality for looks?
Old 01-12-05, 04:56 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i also wanna add that you could try different brands of tires...and that should make a difference a little....I heard the pirelli p zero nero are very comfortable and quiet tires....the fat setup 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 will ride a lot better than the normal 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 but by all means it is no where near how stock felt.....
Old 01-12-05, 05:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ride comfort

Originally Posted by 400DGRZ
I recommend the Falken GRB FK-451

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_451.htm

If you like them that's cool but I've tried tried Falken twice in my life and I think they're the second worst tires in the world. Ventus was worse. Get the Michelins...you won't be sorry. Mine are a year old and still look new. SInce I'm one of the older guys around here I feel confident in strongly recommending a tire. I've tried many. As bluelex mentioned, Nitto is not bad if you're conscious about your spending. Only the Nitto 555 though. Others I like are Yokohama(too bad the quiet one doesn't come in 19), Dunlop SP9000 and Toyo. Michelin is king though....all the way.
Old 01-12-05, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah like others have said, tires with only 25% tread will have pretty bad ride quality, very loud and you feel evetyhing. with new tires it will be a lot better and quieter

but you will you feel the road coz' of the very low profile. you mighe wanna consider getting 245/40 to get more sidewall, it will ride quite a bit better
Old 01-12-05, 10:01 PM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely ur rims are bent somewhere causing ur tires to have bald spots. bald spots caused tires to bounced. bouncing tires will shorten the life of ur shocks, thus, giving you a bumpy ride. put it on the balance machine and u will see that it will not be able to balance it to zeros.
Old 01-12-05, 11:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you mighe wanna consider getting 245/40 to get more sidewall, it will ride quite a bit better
Rom, he already is at 245/40.
Old 01-12-05, 11:41 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i think you are just too used to the factory lexus feel. But seriously man you need to drop that sucker! Get some coilovers and your ride will look soooo HOT, that you wont even care about ride quality!!! Fashion over function my friend.
Old 01-12-05, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
Rom, he already is at 245/40.
argh, my bad.... somehow i read it 245/35.... i am getting too old for this @_@
Old 01-13-05, 12:10 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
argh, my bad.... somehow i read it 245/35.... i am getting too old for this @_@
Let me chime in as I just put on a set of Mechelin Pilot Sport PS2's size 245/40-18 all around mounted on 18 X 8.5 rims. The Michelins cost $219 apiece and came mounted and balanced on the new rims. Ordered last Friday the 7th from TireRack and recieved them the following Monday the 10th. Shipping was $58 total for all four wheels. I can't get 4 tires mounted and balanced locally for $58!! so consider that price a bargain. Even if I could find the tires locally for the same price, which I can't, the sales tax locally is more than the shipping charge. I have L-tuned suspension set-up and changed from stock 16" to the 18". Handling improved with the new tires and I don't believe there was ANY loss of ride quality. If the treadlife is reasonable then these will be a terrific tire in every respect. Brandon (@TireRack) says these are without a doubt the best performance tire he has at TireRack at present. I am an old guy too, and been through a lot of tires, considering I put 336, 000 miles on my SC400 before buying the GS and my LS had 180,000 miles before getting the LX470 ( we put 85,000 on that in just over 2 years!)
Old 01-13-05, 12:37 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Wow...

I just upgraded my rims to 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 3 months ago. There doesnt seem to be that much difference between these and the 16's that I had on before. Seriously. The car still rides the same except when it comes to a verrrrrrrrry big bump which I try to avoid. I have 40series and 35 series Nitto 555's on the car. My prior tires were the Michelin's... the top of the line new ones... Pilot Sports II (made in France). The mich's to me were pretty stiff for a road tire of 16" diameter. The tire guy on Guam said that's characteristic of the michelins especially of the ones from France. The ones made in the US ride softer for some reason.

dunno. well. ya prob need to check up on your suspension. good luck on that.

~manny
Old 01-13-05, 08:09 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the great responses

I am starting to look for Michelin and if not then maybe NItto tires. I am leaning towards this being the problem and if not then I will end up selling the rims + new tires I am also thinking of lowering it after I buy new tires.

D2-AUTOSPORT - I have not seen anything 'exposed' or deterorating.

tytgs300 - That was my first impression however I have looked over the rims and everything looks fine. They do not seem bent in anywhere and if they where I would not have bought them (from a guy here)

vinh - what would you recommend? coilovers i take it?

svt5150 - I will make sure to have the new tires road force balanced.

1SICKLEX - I have NOT had them balanced however the tech who did the alignment drove the car 4x and said everything looked fine. Should I?

400DGRZ - I thought about the Falken GRB FK-451and they are cheap however I would rather spend more $ for a better quality tire. Will keep that tire in mind tho.

LexforLife - Thanks for the tire pressure info.

You can tell how worn out the ties are from this top pic.
Old 01-13-05, 10:24 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
If you like them that's cool but I've tried tried Falken twice in my life and I think they're the second worst tires in the world. Ventus was worse. Get the Michelins...you won't be sorry. Mine are a year old and still look new. SInce I'm one of the older guys around here I feel confident in strongly recommending a tire. I've tried many. As bluelex mentioned, Nitto is not bad if you're conscious about your spending. Only the Nitto 555 though. Others I like are Yokohama(too bad the quiet one doesn't come in 19), Dunlop SP9000 and Toyo. Michelin is king though....all the way.
This is a pretty good discussion about Falken tires.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=falken

What Model did you use? I have the GRB FK. Great tire!

I've heard nothing but rave reviews on their newer lines, GRb and ST115.

Good comparison on high performance tires:

http://www.xrims.com/articles/tirebuyers/

Great price on the Falken GRB FK-451245/40/19 ($188.00):

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-local/tiresearch.cgi

Last edited by 400DGRZ; 01-13-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 12:07 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoS
Thanks everyone for the great responses

I am starting to look for Michelin and if not then maybe NItto tires. I am leaning towards this being the problem and if not then I will end up selling the rims + new tires I am also thinking of lowering it after I buy new tires.

D2-AUTOSPORT - I have not seen anything 'exposed' or deterorating.

tytgs300 - That was my first impression however I have looked over the rims and everything looks fine. They do not seem bent in anywhere and if they where I would not have bought them (from a guy here)

vinh - what would you recommend? coilovers i take it?

svt5150 - I will make sure to have the new tires road force balanced.

1SICKLEX - I have NOT had them balanced however the tech who did the alignment drove the car 4x and said everything looked fine. Should I?

400DGRZ - I thought about the Falken GRB FK-451and they are cheap however I would rather spend more $ for a better quality tire. Will keep that tire in mind tho.

LexforLife - Thanks for the tire pressure info.

You can tell how worn out the ties are from this top pic.
dude seriously...if you don't like the ride as is, you will NOT like the ride with coilovers.....it won't get better, just worse...you'll have more roadfeel/noise and it will be significantly stiffer over bumps

(guys who live in Cali with beautiful roads can't accurately talk about how a suspension is when they have no bumps to hit-I can speak from experience, every block in NY has at least one crater)

replace your tires and if it's stil too harsh for ya I have nothin else to say but sell the rims and go back to stocks

best of luck....
Old 01-13-05, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just to add that being in cali doesn't mean the roads are good. go to LA downtown or SF downtown and drive around in a lowered gs with 20s, it's never fun

Quick Reply: Ride Quality Blows......(now that I've gone to 19" wheels)