GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would you trade your GS for an '05 G35 Coupe???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 12:02 AM
dandada2000v6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you trade your GS for an '05 G35 Coupe???

I have a 1998 GS400, I love the car, but It's getting a bit old to me. I have a friend who has a 2003 G35 and he smokes me off the line by at least a car. I can hang better while roling, but i still get beat nonetheless. And the sad part is that he doesnt even have a stick G35. Sure an Infinity doesnt hold the same status as a Lexus does, but the new G35 sure does come close. What about the new 06 GS you say? I think the new GS is a joke. I just saw it in person at the L.A. car show, and I was not impressed not one bit. It reminds me of a Maxima, which I think even looks better than the new GS. And Lexus ought to be ashamed of themselves to put the same old *** 300HP gas guzzling V8 in the new third gen, that is in our second gen GS. Infinity (G35 6MT) and Acura (RL) have V6's!!! that put out 300 horsepower. In addition, the new G35 is one of, if not the most beautifully designed cars as far as the exterior goes. The only big drawback I think is the interior, which to me looks a tad bit on the cheap side. So what do you guys think, would you trade your GS for one of the new 05 G35's which have a 6 speed transmission, to go along with a 300HP v6, and cost about 35,000 brand new. Or would you keep the current GS in hopes that lexus will change the engine of the new Maxi.....I mean 3rd Gen GS sometime in the future.......

Thanks for your opinions,
Steve
Old 01-14-05, 12:19 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

You're forgetting a very important factor: Torque. I don't care how many horsepower a V6 has, it just can't stand up to the torque of a V8.

You hit on an an important point. The interior. If the interior of the Infiniti feels cheap, then that's a major downside. You spend most of your time driving inside the interior, obviously. If it isn't what it should be, you'll get tired of it real quick. Just think back to vacations or business trips where you've had a cheap a$$ rental car, with a bad interior. Three or four days with the thing seems like an eternity.

The GS is a design that will last for quite some time both interior and exterior.
Old 01-14-05, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well here's what i think.

i can give up my is300 for the g35c, but never my gs4 or sc430. that's just not going to happen.

i don't know, the g35 is fast but my gs4 still beat quite a few g35 who are willing to compete. the 6 speed is fast though, my friend has one and i lost pretty bad. but the autos are ok. that's why i think it's weird

i love the style of the g35c, but then i still love the gs a lot too. it's still very classy looking, and modded the gs is just mean and sick imho. and also, the v8 tq is just sick. the g35 is fast but it's a high rev machine, it's nothing like the gs4 where you get the low end tq that push you right into the seat at 80mph and scary fast

the interior of the g35c i can never ever get over with. it just doesn't look right. cheap interior setup imho. and my friend with the g35c? he told me very frankly that he will NOT get another infiniti.... he has more rattles than he can ever imagine, and tons of small problems here and there and he goes back to dealership often.

also the car is a loud louder than my gs4, even with my exhaust on the gs4. to me that means a lot. the gs4 is a luxury sedan and i want a comfort ride. i won't give that up for the g35c. if that's what you want and wnat more performance and handling theni can understand.

my is3 i got it for the handling, and comfort isn't an issue. that's why i would trade that car in for the g35c. but the gs4 gotta stay for me
Old 01-14-05, 12:33 AM
dandada2000v6
Driver School Candidate

Yea that interior is a drawback, but its not THAT! bad....I'd personally prefer to have a car with a good looking exterior rather than one with just a good looking interior. How superficial I am haha. And as far as the torque, It cant be to significant if I'm still getting dusted by the G35...and an automatic one at that...Just think what one with a 6 speed would do to me
Old 01-14-05, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dandada2000v6
Yea that interior is a drawback, but its not THAT! bad....I'd personally prefer to have a car with a good looking exterior rather than one with just a good looking interior. How superficial I am haha. And as far as the torque, It cant be to significant if I'm still getting dusted by the G35...and an automatic one at that...Just think what one with a 6 speed would do to me
well about the dusting, just refer to my post, i don't know what to say. for the interior, i can see wha tyou are saying, but i think it's a problem when you have rattles here and there cheap is one thing, rattle is annoying. and i heard that myself in my friend's car too
Old 01-14-05, 12:44 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I would keep the GS. I was reading some other threads about the GS4 v. G35 coupe and the 1/4 mile times are just about even. Some members even raced them and were even then slightly pulled as the speeds increased. Try brake-torquing next time to get a little jump and then you guys will be even. I think both cars are even in this category, but if you're one of those people who love manuals, then the G35 is the way to go.

Let's not talk about the handling. G35 all the way.

I don't know about ride comfort, but my GS is pretty solid and is very comfortable. I would assume that the G35 has a more firmer/harder ride because it's set up to handle well at the expense of ride comfort. So in this category it depends on what you want: luxury or a firm ride.

Regarding the style, the G35 is really nice when it's lowered and has a nice set of wheels. So is the GS. So to me, the looks of the two are pretty even.

As far as the interior goes, the guys above me are right on. The interior of the G35 is not befitting a luxury sports coupe. The GS' interior is very nicely laid out, great materials, good workmanship, and lasts. I believe the GS wins in this category.

So it all comes down to your desires. Do you want a sports car with some luxury or a luxury car with some sport?
Old 01-14-05, 12:46 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

And as far as the torque, It cant be to significant if I'm still getting dusted by the G35...and an automatic one at that...Just think what one with a 6 speed would do to me
Your cars should just about be even. How many miles are on your car and how well has it been maintained? Maybe it's time for a tuneup.
Old 01-14-05, 01:02 AM
dandada2000v6
Driver School Candidate

well....I'm at 108k now....I havent gotten a tune up in like 50k miles....ok ok ok u guys talked me out of it.... I wont trade my car for a G35. Now its either between a used 2002 745i or a used 2002 SC430 I love the 745, but what about when that warranty runs out, I BMW's cars arent too reliable. The SC430 is VERY nice on the inside, its reliable, but i dont think its the best looking car on the planet. Decisions decisions decisions...............................
Old 01-14-05, 01:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

well....I'm at 108k now....I havent gotten a tune up in like 50k miles....ok ok ok u guys talked me out of it.... I wont trade my car for a G35. Now its either between a used 2002 745i or a used 2002 SC430 I love the 745, but what about when that warranty runs out, I BMW's cars arent too reliable. The SC430 is VERY nice on the inside, its reliable, but i dont think its the best looking car on the planet. Decisions decisions decisions...............................
man i have the sc430, so i can't say anything to help you

and about the bimmer, put it this way. i was thikning about new m3 or used 911 turbo too. the reason i didn't get them is all about maintenanace and warranty
Old 01-14-05, 01:57 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

Dude, Keep the Gs!
I was pondering the same thing... after a while when U drive the car daily it kinda gets a little borring, but thats because U drive it everyday, Try not driving it for a couple of weeks and you will miss it so much!

I honestly get mad too when I get smoked by a faster car and i'm like, Oh forget GS, i'm getting this car, but then at the end of the day..... The value, and general package of the GS is hard to beat...

I drove a 04 G35 6spd, its nice, but I hate the seats, the car doesn't feel right to me, GS with current suspension setup handles better, and the Sound of V8 U can't beat,

G35 sounds like a **** box when U rev it, I don't like the exhaust note, But thats just me~!

KEEP THE GS MAN!
Old 01-14-05, 02:47 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when I first went car shopping....the g35 coupe was definitely one of my choices.....but I deleted that option after I test drove it....dont get me wrong...its a really great car...superb braking and turning capabilities....but the interior felt cheap imo (eg. dash)...the gs430 imo is one of the most all around car in the world think about it....is has good turning,decent braking, power, comfortable interior, soft and smooth suspension, great reliability, looks classy, very practical car....i mean what else can you ask for?
Old 01-14-05, 03:50 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

I have a 1998 GS400, I love the car, but It's getting a bit old to me. I have a friend who has a 2003 G35 and he smokes me off the line by at least a car. I can hang better while roling, but i still get beat nonetheless. And the sad part is that he doesnt even have a stick G35. Sure an Infinity doesnt hold the same status as a Lexus does, but the new G35 sure does come close. What about the new 06 GS you say? I think the new GS is a joke. I just saw it in person at the L.A. car show, and I was not impressed not one bit. It reminds me of a Maxima, which I think even looks better than the new GS. And Lexus ought to be ashamed of themselves to put the same old *** 300HP gas guzzling V8 in the new third gen, that is in our second gen GS. Infinity (G35 6MT) and Acura (RL) have V6's!!! that put out 300 horsepower. In addition, the new G35 is one of, if not the most beautifully designed cars as far as the exterior goes. The only big drawback I think is the interior, which to me looks a tad bit on the cheap side. So what do you guys think, would you trade your GS for one of the new 05 G35's which have a 6 speed transmission, to go along with a 300HP v6, and cost about 35,000 brand new. Or would you keep the current GS in hopes that lexus will change the engine of the new Maxi.....I mean 3rd Gen GS sometime in the future.......

Thanks for your opinions,
Steve
Hmm.....when I sat down in a G35 at last yrs auto show, the quality of interior was no better than my celica. ( Acura TL was way better IMO) . If going striaght is the most important factor, sure go get the G35. It looks great too.

One thing, are u sure you know how to launch your car properly? I would agree the fact that GS would get beat by 6speed G35s but you get owned by and auto g35? Something is wrong....so either your GS is naturally slow or you're not pushing hard enough. I recently had a run-in with the 3.5 maxima and I pulled on it pretty good....not easy but not that hard either.
Old 01-14-05, 06:02 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

I just went through this choice, a used G35 vs a used GS4 (had $25K to spend). If you go to the G35 forum there's lots of complaints about interior rattles. That and the need for a V8 drove me to a GS430.

Last edited by Vette Boy; 01-14-05 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-14-05, 06:44 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I think I can remark on this with some authority. I was doing EXACTLY this until last week. I've had my '01 GS430 for ~4.5 years and, while it's the best car I've ever owned, I have been seriously craving a more immersive driving experience for some time. Because my wife's company has VPP, I can buy a G35 Coupe 6MT basically at cost, so the price is certainly right (~$35.5K for a loaded car with premium, nav, and XM). I ordered an '05 G35C 6MT Lakeshore Slate/Stone with these options for delivery in February. The delayed build/delivery time gave me pause to go into an analysis-paralysis on whether I could palate going to a coupe from a comfort perspective (I haul people around in the GS often) and to the G35's interior, albeit better in the '05 cars.

I realized that I was beginning to have regrets even before taking delivery of the car regardless of how smitten I was with its performance/handling and exterior appearance. However, I still had the "immersive driving experience" bug so I did a little more research, driving an '03 M5 (w/~9K miles on it) and a new S4, both of which preserve the sedan practicality and more refined interior (M5 not as much as the S4) without compromising the driving experience.

The M5 ended up going for $61K on eBay which put it way out of my comfort zone, and the S4 was $53K new optioned the way I wanted and depreciated like a bomb in the first year. I backed off on both. Then I found a very slightly used (~10K miles) S4 optioned exactly how I'd have gotten it on eBay and called the seller. We negotiated a price that's pretty close to new non-VPP G35C pricing, he de-listed from eBay so I could buy from him directly (allowing me to inspect the car first), I flew to New Orleans last weekend, and it was exactly as advertised (literally as new inside and out). I bought that and have been LOVING life since! It's a little smaller inside than the GS430, but larger than the G35C for rear seat passengers (especially headroom!). The interior is VASTLY superior to the G35C and in many ways even to the GS430 in terms of materials and ergonomics. The power delivery is just astounding with tons of torque across the rev band, a wicked snarl from the V8, and a snikt-snikt-snikt tranny that, while different in feel from the G35C's, is at least as good.

So I'm not telling you to go get an S4 by any means, but rather relating from the perspective of someone who's gone through a similar line of thinking recently. There are plenty of very nice, fun cars out there. Make sure you do your due diligence before committing to prevent buyer's remorse, and if nothing speaks to you, you should probably hang on to your GS!

Good luck!
Scott
Old 01-14-05, 07:01 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by SCWells72
I think I can remark on this with some authority. I was doing EXACTLY this until last week. I've had my '01 GS430 for ~4.5 years and, while it's the best car I've ever owned, I have been seriously craving a more immersive driving experience for some time. Because my wife's company has VPP, I can buy a G35 Coupe 6MT basically at cost, so the price is certainly right (~$35.5K for a loaded car with premium, nav, and XM). I ordered an '05 G35C 6MT Lakeshore Slate/Stone with these options for delivery in February. The delayed build/delivery time gave me pause to go into an analysis-paralysis on whether I could palate going to a coupe from a comfort perspective (I haul people around in the GS often) and to the G35's interior, albeit better in the '05 cars.

I realized that I was beginning to have regrets even before taking delivery of the car regardless of how smitten I was with its performance/handling and exterior appearance. However, I still had the "immersive driving experience" bug so I did a little more research, driving an '03 M5 (w/~9K miles on it) and a new S4, both of which preserve the sedan practicality and more refined interior (M5 not as much as the S4) without compromising the driving experience.

The M5 ended up going for $61K on eBay which put it way out of my comfort zone, and the S4 was $53K new optioned the way I wanted and depreciated like a bomb in the first year. I backed off on both. Then I found a very slightly used (~10K miles) S4 optioned exactly how I'd have gotten it on eBay and called the seller. We negotiated a price that's pretty close to new non-VPP G35C pricing, he de-listed from eBay so I could buy from him directly (allowing me to inspect the car first), I flew to New Orleans last weekend, and it was exactly as advertised (literally as new inside and out). I bought that and have been LOVING life since! It's a little smaller inside than the GS430, but larger than the G35C for rear seat passengers (especially headroom!). The interior is VASTLY superior to the G35C and in many ways even to the GS430 in terms of materials and ergonomics. The power delivery is just astounding with tons of torque across the rev band, a wicked snarl from the V8, and a snikt-snikt-snikt tranny that, while different in feel from the G35C's, is at least as good.

So I'm not telling you to go get an S4 by any means, but rather relating from the perspective of someone who's gone through a similar line of thinking recently. There are plenty of very nice, fun cars out there. Make sure you do your due diligence before committing to prevent buyer's remorse, and if nothing speaks to you, you should probably hang on to your GS!

Good luck!
Scott

Yeah, S4 is a good looking car for sure......and solid too. How's the reliablity of it so far? I have 2 friends with A4 -first gen and second gen and they both have problems on regular basis......nothing major but minor electrical problems and computer issues. I was going to get the first gen S4 before the GS but as much as I like those cars, I never felt comfortable for its reliability issues. If they improve, I might even consider one.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your GS for an '05 G35 Coupe???