GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A new year, a new look- Zone wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow bob, welcome back, you must be busy

and damn, 9.5 in the front, that's something! i wonder what offset you rubbing. why didn' you just get 11 in the back? coz' you wanna stay with 285? but it looks good!!!

to be honest, i like the style of wheels you have no than the hre you had previously. the hre looked good, but i think these are better. and the 840r on dave's car look better than the 841r imho

it's all good, i can't afford those anyway

you are on a roll bob, and congrats again on the new positions
Old 01-17-05, 12:15 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the great replies! It certainly is a different look for the car, I sort of feel like I got a new car... The Zone wheels are incredible in person- everyone who has seen the car in person really likes the new wheels and the new look. A few have even asked if I switched to 21" wheels (not yet, but perhaps soon ).

PHP Code:
lexforlife      happy new year bob and best of luck for you in your new endeavors 
Yes, they have a similar look- but the spokes are not interrupted by the lug bolt holes, giving the spokes a longer look. The Gettins are great, but cannot hold a candle to the Zone when seen in person. Also, the Zone 3 is a LOT more available than the Gettins these days !

PHP Code:
TTurboPimp      Good to see you back and posting Bob......the wheels look great on the car.....more agressive than the previous ones
No worries, Jeff! The only reason I used 10.5" is that I retained (for now) the 285/30-20 tires.
Your 20x11s will rock!

PHP Code:
bluelex      very nice looking wheelsdid you roll your fendors or shave them awaycongrats on the new company and hope goes well 
Rear fenders are rolled and shaved... front fenders are rolled slightly, just to be safe.

PHP Code:
aloha03gs      very nice wheels bro  idk tho...mayb its just me...but i just LOVED your hre 841r 
Thanks... I loved the HREs as well, but can't very well roll on them working for a different company, right?

PHP Code:
svt5150      Congrats on the new venturesThe new wheels look good but the HRE's were just plain sick on your ride. Is Zone planning on any other designs soon? 
Again, thanks! And yes, we are working on a few new styles (I worked on them on my holiday vacation, in fact)... a couple will be more "tuner-oriented," and all will certainly be original.

PHP Code:
Hameed      Congratulations BobGood to see you posting againGood luck with the job(s). 
PHP Code:
I am confused a bitSo you are now the VP of sales for a high-end audio installation company and also working full-time for Zone wheelsHow do you divide up your day and work for both
PHP Code:
I had a question about your exhaust which particular magnaflow exhaust do you have on your carI checked magnaflow's website and don't see an application for our carsIs yours a modded magnaflow for another carReally curious about that
Hey Hameed! how is the new castle? All settled in? Yes, I keep pretty busy these days: four days a week at Zone, the other three for audio/video consults and installations. We have the luxury of picking and choosing the jobs we want, so we tend to stick with the bigger dollar jobs- this type of customer typically doesn't grind us for the last buck, they want quality and service and we are happy to provide it!

The exhaust- it's a custom one-off. I can find the info on the muffler cans we used and the tip part numbers if you want. The car is very quiet, in fact, it's like stock at freeway cruising speeds. Sometimes I wish it was a bit louder... sometimes I am glad it isn't! MagnaFlow intended to use my car to prototype a GS exhaust, but they never "got around" to finishing a kit. Now that the GS is being replaced, I doubt they will offer such a bolt-on kit for it, unfortunately.

PHP Code:
D2-AUTOSPORT      Hey Bobgood to see you back aroundYou always "push the envelope" with your setupsNow with a 20x9.5 in the front you have done it againGood jobI have to be very honestI actually prefer the look of these new wheels over your previous HRE's, the more aggressive spoke fits the nature of the vehicle. I know Zone has standard chrome lips, these look nice. 
Thanks, Derrick. By the way, I did not change the ride height of the car whatsoever. I think you are perceiving a little difference due to the slight stretch of the 255 tire on the 9.5' wide wheel. I love this look, and the front & rear sidewall shapes now match perfectly.
Also, the chrome outers are terrific. I always wanted a 5-spoke for the car, but the president of HRE chose 845Rs for his M5 and i didn't have the guts to "copy" him. The 841R was actually my second choice for the GS. And I have always been an "exposed assembly bolt" type of guy, so the Zones satisfy my lust for bolts.
I have photos of the test-fit of the 20x9.5s on the front before installing the tires.- they clear the suspension upright by 3mm! I am a little secretive about the offset, partly because i spend a lot of time R&Ding this type of stuff... If you really MUST know the ET, PM me!

PHP Code:
Neo      Happy New Year BobThe new wheels look meanmuch more aggressive than the HREs (alhough I still like the 841s  
Thanks, Neo! Always good to hear from you...

PHP Code:
00lexondub      first off i must say those wheels look fantastic.. when i first herard about the wheels i checked out the site and wasnt too sure baout what it was gonna look like.. BUT THEY LOOK GREAT
PHP Code:
what i want to know if how does your 20x9.5 with a 255 tire not rub and it is SLAMMED where as my 20x9 wheel with a 255 rubs if i go any lower than i am now
Sorry about the website- to be honest, I am not too happy with the current presentation, but we are working on studio vehicle photography and a complete website overhaul. Also, the 255 factually fits with MORE clearance than before because the tire is stretched a tiny bit. It's funny, you can actually solve tire interference issues by oversizing the wheels widths a bit sometimes....

Keep 'em coming! Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Bob
Old 01-17-05, 05:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Hey Hameed! how is the new castle? All settled in? Yes, I keep pretty busy these days: four days a week at Zone, the other three for audio/video consults and installations. We have the luxury of picking and choosing the jobs we want, so we tend to stick with the bigger dollar jobs- this type of customer typically doesn't grind us for the last buck, they want quality and service and we are happy to provide it!
Yes we are settling in alright. It's called "house poor"!

Wow! Sounds very interesting to say the least (about your jobs)!

The exhaust- it's a custom one-off. I can find the info on the muffler cans we used and the tip part numbers if you want. The car is very quiet, in fact, it's like stock at freeway cruising speeds. Sometimes I wish it was a bit louder... sometimes I am glad it isn't! MagnaFlow intended to use my car to prototype a GS exhaust, but they never "got around" to finishing a kit. Now that the GS is being replaced, I doubt they will offer such a bolt-on kit for it, unfortunately.
That's ok, don't worry about it. Thanks for the info anyway! I have settled on changing out my L-tuned exhaust for an HKS Hyper!
Sorry about the website- to be honest, I am not too happy with the current presentation, but we are working on studio vehicle photography and a complete website overhaul. Also, the 255 factually fits with MORE clearance than before because the tire is stretched a tiny bit. It's funny, you can actually solve tire interference issues by oversizing the wheels widths a bit sometimes....
Need any help with the website (s)?

I will make you an offer you can't refuse!

Hameed
Old 01-17-05, 11:25 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Default Zone inquiries

Thanks Hameed- we will definitely talk!

And I almost forgot: For Zone pricing inquiries, please contact Club Lexus site sponsor, Wheel Experts. Peter is a terrific and knowledgeable guy!

http://www.wheelexperts.com
(CL mods, hope this link is okay- I spoke w/ Ethan briefly about it, he was cool with it).

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 01-17-05 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 12:07 PM
LexFather

I'm not sure you've all heard, but I resigned from HRE wheels back in September to pursue new opportunities.

One of these opportunities was to become V.P. of Sales for a high-end home theater design and installation firm, BIG Audio Design. This has been challenging AND fun, mostly because I enjoy networking and we have been very fortunate to have fantastic referral business. My business partner and I just finished a $35,000 installation in a new $1.6 million home in San Clemente, CA yesterday... now their neighbors are doing a $19,000 system with us... fun stuff indeed!

I was also recruited to be the Director of Marketing for a relatively new three-piece forged wheel manufacturer, Zone Wheels. Zone currently offers four styles of wheels, in three diameters: 19", 20", and 22". Of course, I had to have a set of these for my Lexus ASAP!

I chose the new "Zone 3" design, and specified the new sizes and offsets: 20x9.5 front (yes, it fits!) and 20x10.5 rear, brushed/clearcoated centers, chrome outer rims, polished/clearcoated inner rims.
I retained the same tires, a special thanks goes to Yokohama for their AVS Sport 255/35-20 front and 285/30-20 rear. ... I like the new look- hope you agree.

Enough about the details... here they are (links go to the CL gallery)!

Best regards (and Happy New Year!),
Bob

Zone front
Zone rear

Congrats and wishing u continued success. Your GS looks great
Old 01-17-05, 02:00 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome looking wheels!! That exhaust is pretty damn nice too. Any more info on it? I want something as close to stock as possible with a little roar. Do you have any more pictures on it? Thanks
Old 01-17-05, 02:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Zone

Congrats on the jobs, nice to see people making a living on something that's really fun. It's like stealing money. I like the Zone wheels. Saw them several months ago in Dub magazine. It's a wheel on my radar for the future (if they come in chrome which I believe they do).
Old 01-17-05, 05:53 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Great responses! I am loving this...

That exhaust is pretty damn nice too. Any more info on it? I want something as close to stock as possible with a little roar.
I'll look up the muffler part numbers and post them. The MagnaFlows are incredible- if you want a mellow, subtle sound you will not be disappointed.

reggiek Congrats on the jobs, nice to see people making a living on something that's really fun. It's like stealing money. I like the Zone wheels. Saw them several months ago in Dub magazine. It's a wheel on my radar for the future (if they come in chrome which I believe they do).
Thanks Reggie. Not every day in these professions is pure ice cream and sunshine, but other days I have to pinch myself- I get paid for this?!
On the wheels- that's Zone's big advantage: you can choose almost any finish, it's all the same price. Also, chrome outers are standard. The only finish we charge extra for are color-matched centers ($60 each).

Popular (and standard ) Zone finishes are currently:

Full Chrome (outers & centers)
Brushed/Clearcoated centers/chrome outers
Black powdercoated centers/chrome outers
Anthracite powdercoated centers/chrome outers
Silver powdercoated centers/chrome outers

We are working on a few new and unique new center finishes (including what we call a "Liquid Silver) as well.
I'll be sure to keep CL members posted!

Regards,
Bob Hale
Old 01-18-05, 02:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Great responses! I am loving this...

I'll look up the muffler part numbers and post them. The MagnaFlows are incredible- if you want a mellow, subtle sound you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Reggie. Not every day in these professions is pure ice cream and sunshine, but other days I have to pinch myself- I get paid for this?!
On the wheels- that's Zone's big advantage: you can choose almost any finish, it's all the same price. Also, chrome outers are standard. The only finish we charge extra for are color-matched centers ($60 each).

Popular (and standard ) Zone finishes are currently:

Full Chrome (outers & centers)
Brushed/Clearcoated centers/chrome outers
Black powdercoated centers/chrome outers
Anthracite powdercoated centers/chrome outers
Silver powdercoated centers/chrome outers

We are working on a few new and unique new center finishes (including what we call a "Liquid Silver) as well.
I'll be sure to keep CL members posted!

Regards,
Bob Hale

well i guess we all just have to hold our breaths to see what's coming up
Old 01-21-05, 11:10 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob,
you have two dream jobs IMO.

The Zone wheels will surely do well on the market, but I must admit your HRE's were my favorite of their line.

Old 01-21-05, 11:26 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Bob

big congrats to you for starting a new page in your career
Old 01-26-05, 06:26 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My goodness, now you just have to go and work in the 2 industries of my most favorite pastimes - home theater and wheels! Amazing new wheels.

By the way, OT, got any pics of the $35,000 system you installed? I wanna see them.