GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

18s or 19s NO 20s

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 09:48 PM
chaskim
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18s or 19s NO 20s

Hello All,

So here I am thinking about getting some new rims...Found the ones I like but way too much $$$. unless HRE is doing some kinda free rim give away I don't know about. LOL

So the next questions is 18 or 19, sorry no 20s or bigger as I want to keep the ride nice, the GS is my long trip car.

19s looks tall and nice but not to crazy about running rubberbands for tires and having to worry about potholees and bent rims

18s might give me more rubber and a nicer ride??

Not going for the VIP look just something clean...18s or 19s?
Staggarded or not?

Just want some friendly advise.

Also I plan on running Tien CS to bring it down.

Chaskim
Old 01-16-05, 10:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

19 fat.
Old 01-16-05, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will just state some points charles

1) if you do 19s with normal tire setup, that's the same as 20s. so unless you do 19s with fat setup, you can't say the 20s has worse ride
2) i would do 19s fat setup, bigger wheels but the ride quality of the 18s. can't beat that
3) 18s look too small i think
4) if you want better look and performance, get staggered. personally i will only get staggered
Old 01-17-05, 02:08 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

1) if you do 19s with normal tire setup, that's the same as 20s. so unless you do 19s with fat setup, you can't say the 20s has worse ride
2) i would do 19s fat setup, bigger wheels but the ride quality of the 18s. can't beat that
4) if you want better look and performance, get staggered. personally i will only get staggered
well rominl covered everything there....but I would also like to add that if you do go with 19s with the fat setup...the wheel will APPEAR to be a TINY BIT smaller...
Old 01-17-05, 02:14 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaskim
Hello All,

So here I am thinking about getting some new rims...Found the ones I like but way too much $$$. unless HRE is doing some kinda free rim give away I don't know about. LOL

So the next questions is 18 or 19, sorry no 20s or bigger as I want to keep the ride nice, the GS is my long trip car.

19s looks tall and nice but not to crazy about running rubberbands for tires and having to worry about potholees and bent rims

18s might give me more rubber and a nicer ride??

Not going for the VIP look just something clean...18s or 19s?
Staggarded or not?

Just want some friendly advise.

Also I plan on running Tien CS to bring it down.

Chaskim
if HRE is too expensive...iforged would be a great decision .... I have 19s....and yes I do worry about curbing the rims (potholes) but you just gotta change your driving style and be a bit more careful...as far as bending...they are really strong.....I also have the tein CS and i have no regrets....very nice choice good luck peace man

cody
Old 01-17-05, 03:51 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say 19" iForged are a great choice I like 19's over 20's too. Great ride, stock overall wheel size, and a nice drop.

Here are a couple pix of my baby to help you get an idea.

Old 01-17-05, 05:37 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl

rominl: With a 19 fat setup, I see that the OD is almost 1 inch larger (26.6 vs 25.7) What effect would you have on the spedo in mph? Would you be going slower than indicated or faster and by how much?
Old 01-17-05, 09:56 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by rheiy
With a 19 fat setup, I see that the OD is almost 1 inch larger (26.6 vs 25.7) What effect would you have on the spedo in mph? Would you be going slower than indicated or faster and by how much?
The reading willl be about 4% too slow. Not a big difference. Speedo will say 65 when you are actually at 67.6.
Old 01-17-05, 10:48 AM
chaskim
Pole Position

What is a FAT set up on 19s?

How much cheaper are HRE than iforged?

The iforged website states almost the same prices as HREs

Can you get the computer re-done to read the right time.

Chaskim
Old 01-17-05, 10:53 AM
Neo
The One

What is a FAT set up on 19s?

How much cheaper are HRE than iforged?

The iforged website states almost the same prices as HREs

Can you get the computer re-done to read the right time.

Chaskim
Typical 19s fat is 245/40 all around ro 245/40 front, 275/35 rear for staggered.

HRE cheaper than iF? What rims are you looking at? iFs are less expensive than HREs but no, they are not cheap.

As for the computer, no one has tried but I can imagine it would be a PITA. for 4%, I don;t think it is worth the time, effort, and (potentially high) cost.
Old 01-17-05, 10:19 PM
chaskim
Pole Position

MIxed up the post. See what happens when you post before you take the kids somewhere.

I was trying to say that iForge are not that much cheaper than HREs.

I gonna check into them but I am still worried about spending $$$ to ruin my ride and someday the rim itself.

I guess the FAT set up and Tien CS will help with the lagging handling I feel my GS has. I do have TRD sawys, a Ugo front top brace, and TRD lower front brace. They made a huge difference but I still need a little more.

Thanks to everyone; NEO, Darius2010 (if my wife kills me over the iforge rims its your fault), aloha03gs, and rominl (the walking Gs modding dictionary)

chaskim
I'll look at 19 fat, staggered.
PS Darius2010 did you just move to cali or do I have you mixed uo with someone else.
Old 01-18-05, 02:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rheiy
rominl: With a 19 fat setup, I see that the OD is almost 1 inch larger (26.6 vs 25.7) What effect would you have on the spedo in mph? Would you be going slower than indicated or faster and by how much?
like neo said, it's off but i don't consider it bad. if magic number for me is when it shows 80mph, i am actually close to about 85mph. i think it's ok. just don't hit 90mph to be safe

the good side? the odometer shows less mileage what what you really run. but then again that's negligible
Old 01-18-05, 02:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

MIxed up the post. See what happens when you post before you take the kids somewhere.

I was trying to say that iForge are not that much cheaper than HREs.

I gonna check into them but I am still worried about spending $$$ to ruin my ride and someday the rim itself.

I guess the FAT set up and Tien CS will help with the lagging handling I feel my GS has. I do have TRD sawys, a Ugo front top brace, and TRD lower front brace. They made a huge difference but I still need a little more.

Thanks to everyone; NEO, Darius2010 (if my wife kills me over the iforge rims its your fault), aloha03gs, and rominl (the walking Gs modding dictionary)

chaskim
PS Darius2010 did you just move to cali or do I have you mixed uo with someone else.
wow, now that's a good title, haha....

anyway, neo already stated the fat setup, and i think that's good if you get the fat setup on 19s togetehr with the tein cs, it's going to be really comfy imho.

iforged is considerably cheaper than hre, just get a price quote from d2 autosport, he's a great guy to deal with!
Old 01-18-05, 10:55 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

chaskim
Hmmm, I don't know if I can take responsibility for your wife's murder..............unless you tell my wife you FORCED me to buy Junction Produce tail lights at gun point. THEN we may have a deal

As far as just moving to Cali- I've lived here for 25 years. I just moved from San Francisco to Silicon Valley but I've lived in the state most of my life.

I think you made a good choice in ride comfort/style to go with the iForged-19-Staggered-Fat setup . Keep us posted.

//Darius
Old 01-18-05, 11:27 AM
aristo400
Rookie

Go with the fat setup using a staggered wheel set, if you are going with 19s. I really think the 19 fat setup rides almost as well as stock 16's. There is more road noise, less acceleration and worse gas mileage but that happens with most larger wheels. Who cares if the speedo is off 5%. The factory speedo is usually rated higher anyways.

-Jeff

Quick Reply: 18s or 19s NO 20s