GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

APEXi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-01, 11:23 AM
ar1st0

Question

I was thinking of putting on the APEXi S-afc on my gs400.
have anybody use it before?
Old 05-17-01, 03:14 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had an extra one I was considering using. He said it should work, but I just wanted it for looks. Call apex'i up...they should be able to help you.
Old 05-17-01, 04:24 PM
RacingAristo

Ray and I were thinking of having apexi S-AFC with intake combo which would be less expansive compared with SRT's product plus so far SRT hasn't come up with intake/ecu for both GS300/430. If you get the S-AFC, you need a professional tuner to adjust it for you for max performance. I have to agree with Mike, I'm in for its look too. There are so many people selling it, EBay, groupbuycenter.com, and etc. Of course, the best deal is have someone to get it from Japan.
Old 05-17-01, 11:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Ray and I were thinking of having apexi S-AFC with intake combo which would be less expansive compared with SRT's product plus so far SRT hasn't come up with intake/ecu for both GS300/430. If you get the S-AFC, you need a professional tuner to adjust it for you for max performance. I have to agree with Mike, I'm in for its look too. There are so many people selling it, EBay, groupbuycenter.com, and etc. Of course, the best deal is have someone to get it from Japan.

Yeah from Japan is the cheapest! it's about 30% cheaper! (something like 220 USD for the AFC) If you wanna fine tune it I suggest either strait from Apexi or XS engineering.
Old 05-18-01, 08:14 AM
lexlyf3
Rookie

Thumbs up GS300 SRT HFI Intake

FYI, we will be releasing a HFI/ECU package in the very near future. Stay tuned for the lastest info. I definitely recognize the fact that our products are more expensive as compared to others........but you definitely GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

Marken Smith, aka "Lexlyf"
CMO, Swift Racing Technologies
http://www.swiftracing.com
"You have every right in the world to be afraid!" :eek:
Old 05-18-01, 10:10 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

I have one on my car. Be sure to take it to a place where they will dyno tune it for you. It looks pretty cool too.
Old 05-18-01, 12:50 PM
RacingAristo

Which set would give me the most performance? Any feedback, Black_IS300? Where did you install the S-AFC and approximately how much did it cost?
Old 05-18-01, 03:28 PM
ARIST
Rookie

Default I have one too..

it costs me $350 with tax and i installed it myself.

- ARIST
Old 05-18-01, 06:08 PM
RacingAristo

Don't you need a professional to fine tune it for max performance?
Old 05-18-01, 07:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

groupbuycenter has it for like 320 shipped. Cheapest I've heard.

Of course I've seen a shop selling it for 220. But that's in Japan though........
Old 05-18-01, 09:48 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Default I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT

first thing first, i have nothing againsty apexi cause they make some good products, but their afc is a piece of
(*&# ... everyone i know that i know that has installed one has had problems. either the engine starts messing up or they can't idle anymore. etc etc. I heard that those things were recalled i understand. But everyone is welcome to try their luck

just my 2 cents
Arthur
Old 05-18-01, 11:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT

Originally posted by wolfy187
first thing first, i have nothing againsty apexi cause they make some good products, but their afc is a piece of
(*&# ... everyone i know that i know that has installed one has had problems. either the engine starts messing up or they can't idle anymore. etc etc. I heard that those things were recalled i understand. But everyone is welcome to try their luck

just my 2 cents
Arthur
it's really hard to believe that the APEXi S-AFC will have problems like what you mentioned. Even today in Japan they're the best selling AFCs, as good as ones like the new HKS ones (or something.) If they're so bad then they shouldn't sell so well even after months and months of great sales after release.

Sounds like poor installation and poor tuning. Afterall something like the AFC is 90% dependent on the tuning and installation. The 10% is the craftsmanship of the product.
Old 05-19-01, 10:33 AM
RacingAristo

I have to agree with Ray.
Old 05-22-01, 09:33 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Which set would give me the most performance? Any feedback, Black_IS300? Where did you install the S-AFC and approximately how much did it cost?
I would say that if you had your car tuned properly with an afc/intake you could get the most performance. I got mine installed at area 51 in irvine. For the best performance you would want to get it fine tuned by a pro on the dyno. Also I had a bung welded on one of my exhaust manifold runners so they could tune it with a lambda sensor while on the dyno. I think i paid around 320 for the unit.

Last edited by Black_IS300; 05-22-01 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-22-01, 09:37 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Default Re: I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT

Originally posted by wolfy187

just my 2 cents
Arthur
If you dont tune it right you can really mess up your engine. Ive had mine for a while now and no problems at all.

Quick Reply: APEXi S-AFC