GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone still change their own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 09:55 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone still change their own oil?

For some reason I can't explain, I've been doing more and more work on my cars myself. Even bought an air compressor so I dont have to find a gas station with a functioning air hose.

I've been thinking about starting to do oil changes again, which I haven't done since high school. Does anybody still do this or does everyone just go to the quick change places? Those of you who are doing it, do I need low profile ramps for my GS400 or will any ramps do? Any other info I should know, drain plug torque, etc, etc?
Old 01-19-05, 10:20 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do oil changes myself because I like working on cars and I can be sure it was done right. Changing oil on the GS is really no different than doing it on any other car. Regarding ramps, I happen to be thin enough to slide under my car and change the oil without using ramps. What you need though are a good set of metric tools to work on your car. To do an oil change on the GS you have to remove the plastic cover underneath the car, I believe there are close to ten bolts and you'll need a 10mm socket to remove them. I can't remember off the top of my head the bolt size of the drain plug.

You'll also need a good oil filter. Toyota/Lexus and Mobil 1 make the best filters for our car. You can buy the Lexus oil filter from a Toyota dealership for a good price, the part number is 90915-20004 (the best but some dealerships don't have them) or the 90195-YZZD3 (also good and more available). If you're considering using synthetic oil you'll have no problem switching. Make sure you buy the drain plug gasket too. Aside from that, changing the oil on the GS is a pretty standard process. Just like any other car, don't overtighten the drain plug (you might strip it) and don't overtighten the oil filter because it will be harder to remove it later on.
Old 01-19-05, 01:10 PM
mrk
Driver School Candidate

whatever i can do myself, i alway do myself.... whos work do you trust the most? yours or someone else? (if you know how to do it)...
standard lexus/toyota drain plug uses a 14m wrench
6qts of oil..
Old 01-19-05, 01:17 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I change my own oil as well

ive been learning alot about the GS

feels good to do stuff yourself within reason
Old 01-19-05, 01:28 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Same here, but I use a jack and wheel chocks. It's not necessary to remove the bottom cover for the oil to drain. It does make it easier to see when reaching under.
Old 01-19-05, 01:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't trust those quick change places. No logical reason. I just want to do this myself. If the timing is right and I am in a shop to get other things done, I will pay for them to do it. Otherwise, I don't go out of my way for just an oil change.
Old 01-19-05, 01:46 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Regarding ramps, I happen to be thin enough to slide under my car and change the oil without using ramps.
Dude! What's your address. We need to kick in and order you a couple pizza's!!
Old 01-19-05, 01:47 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, it's pretty simple. Jack up car. Put jack stands on for safety.

Unbolt Drain bolt to drain
Remove Old filter
Oil New Filter Gasket & install
Plug up drain bolt after drain
Fill with oil and clean up.
Old 01-19-05, 01:49 PM
Guitarman

I can't imagine NOT changing my own oil really, some kind of strange thrill ( Ok, I'm weird!) at getting the old out and the new in, lol. I have never had anyone change my oil in any of our family's cars, and will probably still be doing it when I'm 80. (just a LOT slower!)
Old 01-19-05, 02:00 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

but did you know

that you can fill up the oil if you dont have the oil filter on

just don start it

im saying this in case you get the wrong filter
Old 01-19-05, 02:06 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fasted1953
Dude! What's your address. We need to kick in and order you a couple pizza's!!
I'm actually trying to lose a little weight around my belly (all those years of eating junk food is catching up to me). But it also helps that my car is not lowered too.
Old 01-19-05, 02:07 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I change my own oil because I like to know everything that I do to my car and I also like to work on it. hehe
Old 01-19-05, 02:21 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

i do most of the work myself.. only time i pay someone is when i dont know how to.
Old 01-19-05, 02:23 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I pay to get it done, only because I'm probably the most non-do-it-yourself person on this forum! But I found a reputable lexus/toyota service shop close to me, and theyve done good things on my car to date.
Old 01-19-05, 03:51 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

I used to do my own oil changes many years ago but now I pay. I take both of my cars to a local ProCare and they always do a good job. I drop the car off, go to the coffee shop drink coffee and read the paper. 30 minutes later, walk back to the shop, and drive home. No cleanup necessary

Quick Reply: Anyone still change their own oil?