GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Keep or sell the GS?
Keep the GS, it rocks!
88.46%
Sell the GS before the value drops even more!
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the GS4 or sell? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 01:33 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Keep the GS4 or sell? HELP!

Hey guys, I'm debating selling the GS4 or not. I just hit 100K today. I've had the car for about 3 years now.

I love the GS. It's been my affordable dream car (gen 2)since it was introduced. I've never had 1 single problem with the car. It's in EXCELLENT condition for a '98. I've had SO many people ask me what year it is and they all bug out when I tell them '98.

I bought the car with 55K. So I've averaged roughly 15K a year. I do drive a lot. Pretty much all interstate miles. I travel 60 mi. roundtrip 4 days out of the week for work/school.

Alpine silver
Black leather
HID's
NAK
Spoiler
Heated seats

My dilemma is should I sell the car now and get a reasonable amount? Say $15-17K?
Or keep the car and drive it a few more years. One plus is the car IS paid for. I had a guy offer me $15K cash the other day. The car would be put back stock of course.

I just want some opinions. I dont know what I would replace it with. Maybe a lower mileage GS,
different color?

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by 400DGRZ; 01-27-05 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 01:47 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I faced the same dilemna you did, I am around 218K miles now. I was debating selling around 100K and making back some money or just driving it since it was paid for.

First to tell you the truth I couldnt come up with a better more fun car to buy to replace it at least one that Icould afford. The only one I really considered was a M5

I wound up going FI and modding my car and it was like a whole new beast. that FI is no joke it was as if I did buy a new car, that old new love giddy feeling was back.

The car never gave me a moments problem even now at 218, well I did have to replace the AC system but thats it. The car still looks like it is new and I get compliments all the time. NOw I have the HP bug and I am moving forward with my old reliable 98 Lexus GS400. I will dirve the car till it wont drive any more or untill I can afford a better one and that aint gonna be any simple feat. Well maybe C6 Zo6 but I would still have to convince myself.
Old 01-27-05, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 400DGRZ
Hey guys, I'm debating selling the GS4 or not. I just hit 100K today. I've had the car for about 3 years now.

I love the GS. It's been my affordable dream car (gen 2)since it was introduced. I've never had 1 single problem with the car. It's in EXCELLENT condition for a '98. I've had SO many people ask me what year it is and they all bug out when I tell them '98.

I bought the car with 55K. So I've averaged roughly 15K a year. I do drive a lot. Pretty much all interstate miles. I travel 60 mi. roundtrip 4 days out of the week for work/school.

Alpine silver
Black leather
HID's
NAK
Spoiler
Heated seats

My dilemma is should I sell the car now and get a reasonable amount? Say $15-17K?
Or keep the car and drive it a few more years. One plus is the car IS paid for. I had a guy offer me $15K cash the other day. The car would be put back stock of course.

I just want some opinions. I dont know what I would replace it with. Maybe a lower mileage GS,
different color?

So, what do you guys think?

[I
J,
DO NOT get rid of that ride. Besides bias, its paid for.
Old 01-27-05, 01:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what would you buy instead ??

or get another GS

having a car you owe nothing on says alot
Old 01-27-05, 03:51 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It's paid for, it's in great shape, and it's fun to be with. And you're thinking of dumping it??? Snap out of it, man.
Old 01-27-05, 03:53 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Talking

You said it you self Quote "I love the GS. It's been my affordable dream car (gen 2)since it was introduced. I've never had 1 single problem with the car. It's in EXCELLENT condition for a '98. I've had SO many people ask me what year it is and they all bug out when I tell them '98." You pretty much answered you own question right there. Why get red or something that is not costing you a penny to drive heck through a another 100K on there and enjoy it. Why that's paid for you can save for what you really want.
Old 01-27-05, 04:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

See for you, it's easier to stay where you are because you have the 400!!! So you should keep your car. Unlike me who have the 300, I kinda want to move up to the 400, but and big but, it's paid for also
Old 01-27-05, 04:32 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
See for you, it's easier to stay where you are because you have the 400!!! So you should keep your car. Unlike me who have the 300, I kinda want to move up to the 400, but and big but, it's paid for also
You dont need to move to the 400 all you need is a turbo and about 15 pounds of boost.
Old 01-27-05, 04:38 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope don't sell it, I was thinking this once but after driving my mothers acura tl and my siters bmw 3 series I can honestly say my car is wayyyyyyyyy better comfort wise, driving fun and overall performance. Keep it, drive it, enjoy it.
Old 01-27-05, 05:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
You dont need to move to the 400 all you need is a turbo and about 15 pounds of boost.
Thanks morris, along with the 400, I'm afraid the turbo will also get lots of speeding tickets. I get lead-footed already with the stock 300
Old 01-27-05, 05:32 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

keep it forever! if its at 15k right now then how much more can it possibly drop in value?... not enough to make it worth selling it!
Old 01-27-05, 05:51 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I say keep it....especially with it being paid for. If anything, just use it as second/commuter car....
Old 01-27-05, 05:51 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

I think the car being paid for makes switching into another GS a not so smart idea IMHO. You have to ask yourself If there was another car out there that you really have to have. For me, I would give up my GS for a SC430 in a hearbeat if I had the $$$, other than that I will be keeping my GS. An M3 convert would be tempting too, but being in the car biz, I can tell you BMW's reliability sucks big time.

Keep it for now and save your $, the new Motor Trend says the Lexus LF-A could be a 06 release
Old 01-27-05, 05:56 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I say keep it also. Its paid for and you still love the car so what more do you want? Unless you are thinking about the new GS
Old 01-27-05, 06:08 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

The only thing that makes sense is to keep the GS unless you want to buy a lower mileage GS and start another project. Or unless you don't mind spending a buttload buying something comparable but new.

You're on the "flat" end of the depreciation curve and obviously have a car that we all know will easily last another 100k with minimal maintainence (and even major repairs are a dam sight cheaper than a new car). Your statement mentioning "work/school" suggests that you are not exactly yet in your peak earning years (no slam meant, just that a comparable new vehicle would absolutely kneecap you from a financial standpoint unless you somehow manage "work/school" to the tune of $150+k/ yr AND don't owe student loans, etc.) which in turn would imply that you might not be able to afford coughing up, say, another $40k on top of the sale of your GS for an '06 GS430. I do also realize that CL has a number of members whose parents are well enough off to indulge them in just that manner; if you are one such, congratulations and go for it. Otherwise, consider the numbers.

Of course, if you really have the hankering for a specific "something new" that's another story. And a judgement call on your part.

All that said, my perspective is that of a 50+ y/o physician who once owed a lot of money; yours is different. Just thought you might want to know why I probably sound like your dad...........

Last edited by mooretorque; 01-27-05 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep the GS4 or sell? HELP!