GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The skinniest tires on a GS -pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05 | 12:34 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

somebody is cutting pizza!
Old 02-02-05 | 12:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

ah man that sux....

but drew, if i were you i would have switched the front wheel to the back and put the donut in the front instead. with the rear wheels not being the same, i wonder if the lsd has to work harder on the traction and build up excessive heat?

i know for sure on my 20s, definitely don't put a normal size spare in the back in case of flat
Old 02-02-05 | 04:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hey Drew, I thought you had parked the GS for the winter..............?

And when are you going to upgrade your wheels anyway???? Those OEM wheels on a fairly heavily modded car just look so out of place bro!
Old 02-02-05 | 04:28 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

dem look like tyte 22's yo!!!!

Old 02-02-05 | 06:03 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Years ago, Car and Driver did a series of Datsun/Nissan 240x (?) customized in different ways. One version rode on 4 of those spare donuts with the wheels chromed as I recall. I'd love to see that on a GS.
Old 02-02-05 | 06:32 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Henry... That would of been a lot of extra work to move the front tires to the rear....would have to jack up the front end for that to happen as well. Plus its freezing outside. I only had a 5 mile trip to the tire shop.

Hameed, the car usually does get parked for the winter. However, one of my cars got totalled about a month ago. Some iditiot in a maxima was going the wrong way in a one way street and slammed into my 2004 FX-35 going 50mph. There was a lot of damage including frame damage. I got the insurance company to total the car. Now I have 2 cars with RWD which suck in snow and 1 FWD car which is my daily driver. My wife hates driving the RWD cars in this weather "especially with a 4month old baby"....so I am forced to drive the GS a lot more now during the winter.

I know the wheel upgrade has been a long time over due especially compared to all my other mods on the car. I am happy to say the 17inch tires will be replaced to 18inch staggered setup. 18inch L-tuned oz salinas will be going on my car in late March/April.
I sure hope this helps me with my traction issues.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 02-02-05 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-02-05 | 06:40 AM
trimless
Rookie

Default 50 lbs?

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
You think skinny tires on a car will ever be in fashion? Well, I had the misfortune of having a flat tire the other day. But, I got the chance to mount my supra donut. I have been riding around with this donut in the trunk for about a year now not fully convinced that it was going to fit and more importantly fit on a lowered GS with coilovers. As you can see it fits like a charm….plus I got the added bonus of some nice yellow rim action going on. Looks like a boot that the NYC traffic cops put on for not paying your parking tickets.

The spare donut tire out of the supra is much lighter and weighs in at about 18lbs total vs. the 50lbs full spare.
The 16" stock spare in my 01 GS iw/ stock 16" weighs only 33 pounds, not 50. The dounut is still lighter and a weight savings for sure, just not that much. Good idea for sure.
Old 02-02-05 | 07:09 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hameed, the car usually does get parked for the winter. However, one of my cars got totalled about a month ago. Some iditiot in a maxima was going the wrong way in a one way street and slammed into my 2004 FX-35 going 50mph. There was a lot of damage including frame damage. I got the insurance company to total the car. Now I have 2 cars with RWD which suck in snow and 1 FWD car which is my daily driver. My wife hates driving the RWD cars in this weather "especially with a 4month old baby"....so I am forced to drive the GS a lot more now during the winter.
Yikes! Too bad about the FX though. I take it you're not replacing it anytime soon?

I know the wheel upgrade has been a long time over due especially compared to all my other mods on the car. I am happy to say the 17inch tires will be replaced to 18inch staggered setup. 18inch L-tuned oz salinas will be going on my car in late March/April.
Congrats!!!!! Have you bought the wheels already? Whenever I look at my car, the 18 inch HRE's look small, and I want to upgrade to 19's. However I console myself that I am performance oriented and these weigh only 22lbs so are worth the "small" look. But..................
Old 02-02-05 | 07:38 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

I almost spit up my coffee when I saw those pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how it is to have some tire issues happen. It sucks but just comes with territory.

I'm looking for new wheels for the upcoming show season. How much to buy 4 of those wheels?

I need to keep the ride PIMPIN' FRESH and SET SOME TRENDS IN THE INDUSTRY.

Ted
Old 02-02-05 | 09:27 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

You just started a new trend.
Old 02-02-05 | 09:37 AM
GS3Tek

HOMER: "Mmmmmmm....donuts.....aaagghhhh"
Old 02-02-05 | 10:10 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

if u painted the donut black and put it on the front, it will look like a top fuel car..
Old 02-02-05 | 12:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

stang guys run skinnys up front like that. it gives one tenth in 1/4 mile and destroys handling
Old 02-02-05 | 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Henry... That would of been a lot of extra work to move the front tires to the rear....would have to jack up the front end for that to happen as well. Plus its freezing outside. I only had a 5 mile trip to the tire shop.

oh, it's only 5 mil to the tire shop, then it's ok. somehow i thought you said you are driving on that donut daily now, that would be bad idea

and finally 18s? that's awesome man, youa re going to love it

so we are going to have another set of 25mm spacers running around? hhee
Old 02-04-05 | 05:58 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Believe it or not, there is a 25 mm spacer on the rear wheel where the donut is mounted. If it weren't for that, the donut would be really tucked in. After speaking with Neo on this....a 25 mm spacer on the OZ wheels would not be advisable which I also agree.

So the spacers will come off. My only issue is what size tire to put on the rear on the 18inch wheels. I think the safe size for the 18x9.5 rim would be 275/35. I know a 285/35 will fit on the rim as well.
Hameed, I think the 18inch tires will be perfect for me especially here in NJ. Like you am I am more performance oriented and by going to larger rims will sacrifice performance for looks. The only reason I am going to bigger wheels is to address my traction issue with LSD and TC. Before these mods there was no issues and the 17's were working out just fine. But now I need more rubber to put down so hence the 18inch staggered setup.

The FX will be replaced toward the end of this year. I really like the handling on the car and the AWD feature. But the big negative getting in and out of the rear of this car and the small cargo space in the back. Not very good if I plan on having another kid. Like most people who have a RX300/330 or FX ...the car gets outgrown very quickly especially with a second kid. So thinking along those terms, I think I need to plunge into the minivan arena. The choice is either a new odyssey or new sienna. I like the "fun to drive" factor, nav and RES on the odyssey better than the sienna. Sienna build quality, AWD feature, HIDS, and lexus like interior moves me in that direction. My mind will be made up toward the sienna if toyota drops the new 3.5L 280hp engine into the 2006 partial redesign of the sienna.

Quick Reply: The skinniest tires on a GS -pictures