GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please post pics of your grounding kits!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 11:51 PM
phisig
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at these kits makes me want to try and make my own. If i knew all the mounting points I think it would be real easy.
Old 04-06-05, 12:53 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Yea I'd like to know exactly where the recommended GS400 mounting points are too so I can make my own!
Old 04-06-05, 02:00 AM
phisig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Intellexual
Yea I'd like to know exactly where the recommended GS400 mounting points are too so I can make my own!
Someone get on this for us a DIY grounding kit --- wheres bananags when you need him.

Intellexual: Looks like most kits have eight wires and we'll of couse need the lenths of each wire and their mounting locations. There have got to be some instructions posted up online on how to install one of these kits, lets just use that, then build our own.
Old 04-06-05, 02:03 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

I think just the locations and where they connect to would be good enough for me -- I think the exact lengths are unnecessary as we all probably have our own ideal ways of routing these wires and exactly how much 'slack' in the wires we want.
Old 04-06-05, 06:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

That's exactly why I started this post! Do any of the new folks with the Apexi kit still have directions they could scan or snap a pic of and post?
Old 04-06-05, 07:27 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribed.
Old 04-06-05, 12:55 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look at the photos provided, you will see all the grounding points used. You just need to measure how much wire you need to run from point A to B. The Apexi appears to be a generic kit, so it sounds like the grounding locations are up to you.

Here's the catch with making your own. You MUST solder all the connections or the grounding effectiveness will deteriorate over time. The engine compartment heat and moisture will eventually cause corrosion on the bare copper wire, rendering the kit in-effective. In order to solder a 4 gauge wire, you'll need a big ***** hi temp iron with a large tip. You cannot use a standard Rat Shack iron for this.

I priced out the cost of purchasing such an iron, plus the cost of wire and crimps. If you pay yourself minimum wage to do the work, you will just about break even.

Now if you already have the iron, the time and can get wire cheap are a DIY type of person or just care about looks, go for it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-06-05 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 12:58 PM
CLS2GS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
4. Positive battery terminal to chassis
I guess I'm the only one that caught this. Not a good idea. Excellent way to start a fire or blow all your fuses.
Old 04-06-05, 01:02 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Honestly, from the pictures I just see a lot of wires....it's hard to tell where one starts and another begins.

Also, I don't agree that the terminals have to be soldered, stock wiring is almost always crimped. If you have a good crimper, that connection can be as good or even superior to a soldered connection in terms of longevity.
Old 04-06-05, 01:05 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

how many gauge wire should be good for this? 2 or 4 gauge?
Old 04-06-05, 01:07 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

2 gauge would be overkill, 4 gauge is fine. 8 gauge would probably even work.
Old 04-06-05, 01:44 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2 gauge would be overkill, 4 gauge is fine. 8 gauge would probably even work.
I would have to agree, 2 guage is just insane. Plus working with 2 guage is much harder, unless you buy the hella expensive wire with the super thin strands, like the Rockford Fostgate wires. I would say 4 guage.
Old 04-06-05, 02:28 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how come no one is coming out and saying where the points are. pics can only do so much, im better with directions telling me from point a to point b. i had started threads before asking where to install and still, till this day, no one has come forth with the directions..wheres the love?

Old 04-06-05, 02:46 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, from the pictures I just see a lot of wires....it's hard to tell where one starts and another begins.

Also, I don't agree that the terminals have to be soldered, stock wiring is almost always crimped. If you have a good crimper, that connection can be as good or even superior to a soldered connection in terms of longevity.
The whole point of this mod is to improve on the existing factory grounds and add a few more points as well. I'm not talking about longevity of the crimp, I'm talking in terms of connectivity and the long term reliability of that connection with regards to resistance and it's effectiveness in improving the ground potential of a location that already has a ground wire connected from the factory.

Soldering offers a better connection in terms of measured resistance and minimizing corrosion of the copper strands.

These ground wires are attempting to improve on the existing ground potential of these ground points, so it only makes sense to do everything possible to do "BETTER" than the factory crimp. The second aspect of improvement is obviously to increase the gauge of the wire. Going to a 4 gauge wire is already on the verge of overkill, but it looks good, doesn't hurt and again we're trying to tweek out the last drop of performance from this mod.

From a manufacturing standpoint, the factory does things that are cost effective and practical in terms of return on investment. Soldering wires is not cost effective in the sense that the performance gained may not be justified in how the general consuming public will perceive value in the increased cost of the car.

Those of us willing to spend the extra dollar to improve on the factory wiring will do this mod. Some may do it for looks.

The ORIGINAL grounding kits ALL used soldered connections, but I can't speak for the APEXi or other generic ground kit copy cats.
Old 04-06-05, 04:29 PM
CLS2GS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
how come no one is coming out and saying where the points are. pics can only do so much, im better with directions telling me from point a to point b. i had started threads before asking where to install and still, till this day, no one has come forth with the directions..wheres the love?

There were pictures and a list of points where to attach on the first page of this thread.

Quick Reply: Please post pics of your grounding kits!