GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I get your advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-05, 08:49 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get your advice

i just picked up a cpo gs430. runs fine so far. only thing is the front passenger door appears to have been replaced or worked on since it has no vin sticker. when looking at the right side of the car when standing behind the car the corners of both doors above the door handles (basically where the metal and glass meet) do not line up perfectly with the lines of the car. The carfax is clean and i was told the right side of the car was hit by a garage door. Let me know what you think. I have until Monday...
Old 02-05-05, 09:28 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Sorry to say it, but no vin sticker is a big sign that the door has been replaced. Run your finger on the edges around the door, they should feel smooth. If it's rough and bumpy it's a sign of paintwork. Hope that helps.
Old 02-05-05, 09:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

While you're at it, check the WHOLE RIGHT SIDE also to see the other body parts have the VIN #. I guess if they do, then you might be safe with just only the doors being replaced. Since it's from the dealer, have you asked them to see what happened to the door?
Old 02-05-05, 12:04 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

they said it was hit by a garage door. but im thinking otherwise. had my body shop check it out. thanks for your comments. i've made my decision on the car
Old 02-05-05, 12:39 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarlssonLS400
they said it was hit by a garage door. but im thinking otherwise. had my body shop check it out. thanks for your comments. i've made my decision on the car
What did your body shop say? Did you get the car or pass on it?
Old 02-05-05, 12:52 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rheiy
What did your body shop say? Did you get the car or pass on it?

they said.

front passenger side door replaced
rear passenger side door repaired
passenger side center pillar repaired
passenger side front fender is original but something has been done but they don't know what
front bumper something happened but they are not sure
front driverside door has had something done but they aren't sure what

and thats after looking at it for only like 10mins. who knows what else happened
Old 02-05-05, 01:01 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

they said.

front passenger side door replaced
rear passenger side door repaired
passenger side center pillar repaired
passenger side front fender is original but something has been done but they don't know what
front bumper something happened but they are not sure
front driverside door has had something done but they aren't sure what

and thats after looking at it for only like 10mins. who knows what else happened
Sounds more like the car hit the garage door and not vice versa.
Old 02-05-05, 01:20 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BR1AN
Sounds more like the car hit the garage door and not vice versa.
I'm shocked that the dealer is trying to sell as cpo. Garage door or not, that car incurred some pretty good damage and belongs on some no name used car lot.
Old 02-05-05, 01:52 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rheiy
I'm shocked that the dealer is trying to sell as cpo. Garage door or not, that car incurred some pretty good damage and belongs on some no name used car lot.

I am surprised too. On the Lexus Certified Inspection checklist it says under Vehicle ID number Tags-In place and matching... and it is checked off as meeting "Lexus Standard". BUT there is NO vin sticker on the the door!

It's killing me to think about it but i am going to go return it within a couple hours.
Old 02-05-05, 02:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

find another one
Old 02-05-05, 02:09 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

I am surprised too. On the Lexus Certified Inspection checklist it says under Vehicle ID number Tags-In place and matching... and it is checked off as meeting "Lexus Standard". BUT there is NO vin sticker on the the door!

It's killing me to think about it but i am going to go return it within a couple hours.
Your better off in the long run to stay away. In fact I'd stay away from that dealer too. Think about it - If your body shop noticed all this damage, you can be assured the dealer knew about it as well. I think their trying to pull a fast one. There will always be more GS's available. Now that the new ones are going to be out shortly, I'm sure you'll find a few more to pick from.
Old 02-05-05, 04:49 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

well guys... i just returned the GS

Probably look into getting a new car. either gs3 or is3. i don't know right now. this is upsetting.

The guy, i think the used car sales manager, pissed me off sooooooooo much. basically didn't even want to hear about the problems the car has. kept saying that it passed lexus tests and crap. told him there were rattles and he said it was normal. i said there are 3 lexus in my family and i can assure u that is not the case. and he says he works for lexus and he knows what he is talking about. i tell him about the work that has been done on the side and he says lexus allows 2 vins to be missing as long as the part is replaced with lexus parts. (well wtf else are u going to replace a lexus door with... a door off a ford?)

Last edited by CarlssonLS400; 02-05-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-05-05, 05:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

glad that you returned the gs. imho, if you have any doubts, never get it. you wil never feel 100% comfortable about it anyway right? keep on looking for the right one
Old 02-05-05, 06:04 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

(well wtf else are u going to replace a lexus door with... a door off a ford?)
I just love car salesmen!
Old 02-05-05, 06:14 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Probably look into getting a new car. either gs3 or is3. i don't know right now. this is upsetting.
dude, don't give up that easy. I almost did the same thing. I test drove a brand new GS3 and almost bought it. The NEXT DAY I found my GS430 with 21000 miles(and that was after looking for over a month).you can find a low mile GS4xx for close to half the price of a new GS3. Stock GS3 is pretty slow, you'd be sorry once the newness wears off.
Just find one still under bumper to bumper and you're good. As long as you have enough warranty time left to find any bugs.

Quick Reply: Can I get your advice