GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-05, 03:16 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help! Car wont start

I did some searches but nothing came up. When you turn the key nothing happens no noises or clicks like the battery is dead but all the lights and radio work fine. It seems like a fuse for the starter is blown. Its not doing anything when you turn the key at all. Checked the terminals . The car is at my work and I dont want to leave it here overnight. It will getjacked for sure. Anybody know a fix?
Old 02-05-05, 03:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe the shift lock? try jiggling the shifter around.
Old 02-05-05, 03:30 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How old is your battery? Your symptoms could still be the battery. Both rominl and I had to replace our (original 98) batteries lately. I was even surprised it lasted this long.

The amp needed to start the car may not be there anymore. You need less power for the radios and such. Have you tried to jump it because then you are pulling power from a different battery?

Good luck.
Old 02-05-05, 03:49 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
maybe the shift lock? try jiggling the shifter around.
I'm with Chuck on this one. If the lights work, you should at least hear some sort of clicking when you try to start the car (assuming the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the car over). I'd start with the shift lock and then start taking a look at the fuses.
Old 02-05-05, 04:15 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can acess the starter from under the hood you can also jump the battery connector to the solenoid connector and the starter should turn.

If you have a voltmeter you can also check and see if you are getting 12V on the Solenoid connection whenever you turn the ignition switch to start.
Old 02-05-05, 05:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
How old is your battery? Your symptoms could still be the battery. Both rominl and I had to replace our (original 98) batteries lately. I was even surprised it lasted this long.

The amp needed to start the car may not be there anymore. You need less power for the radios and such. Have you tried to jump it because then you are pulling power from a different battery?

Good luck.
yeah the starting crank amp dropped from 500 (new) to like 100 on my old battery, that could be why

though the fact that you can still play radio and all lights working that's kinda weird

tried to call aaa for a jump start?
Old 02-05-05, 05:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
though the fact that you can still play radio and all lights working that's kinda weird
When my battery was going bad, I was not able to start the car but the radio played just fine. I don't know how long I could have played the radio, though. I never tested that out.
Old 02-05-05, 08:36 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Get a jump. If it starts, it's the battery, and you're done.

If it doesn't, this thread is already full of helpful next steps.
Old 02-05-05, 09:36 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I waited like 20 mi and tries it and it worked. Now im stumped. I have no idea what his happened. I hope it doesnt again. Monday im going to get the battery checked. Thanks guys for your input. Maybe its getting closer for me to put her up for adoption
Old 02-05-05, 09:41 PM
jdmaristo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to me on my 01, radio and everything else worked, but no noise when i turn the key no clicks, it was just a bad battery..
Old 02-06-05, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GammaLex
I waited like 20 mi and tries it and it worked. Now im stumped. I have no idea what his happened. I hope it doesnt again. Monday im going to get the battery checked. Thanks guys for your input. Maybe its getting closer for me to put her up for adoption
yeah just get them checked just in case. you don't want your car die in the middle of no where and not able to get out
Old 02-27-05, 03:04 PM
alister
Pole Position

I hate to jack your thread, GL, but the same is happening to me.

I replaced the OEM battery (1999) about 2 weeks ago after having to jump the car twice. It has been mostly fine since. Over the last few days I had to turn everything off (lights/air) to get the car to turn over and start after it sounded like it was going bad again (longer to start and sounded weaker too). Today I took the battery up to get check out and they said it was fine. Being that, I put it back in the GS and try to jump it after letting it charge for 10 min with my Jeep. No dice. I checked it all with a multimeter and while it should've been cranking (without the connection to the Jeep) it was still putting out 12.5 volts but no clicking could be heard. It clicked a few times this morning trying to get it to start but since got weaker like the battery was bad. I cleaned the crap out of the terminals and connectors (shiny brass!) to no avail. Starter maybe? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-28-05, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by alister
I hate to jack your thread, GL, but the same is happening to me.

I replaced the OEM battery (1999) about 2 weeks ago after having to jump the car twice. It has been mostly fine since. Over the last few days I had to turn everything off (lights/air) to get the car to turn over and start after it sounded like it was going bad again (longer to start and sounded weaker too). Today I took the battery up to get check out and they said it was fine. Being that, I put it back in the GS and try to jump it after letting it charge for 10 min with my Jeep. No dice. I checked it all with a multimeter and while it should've been cranking (without the connection to the Jeep) it was still putting out 12.5 volts but no clicking could be heard. It clicked a few times this morning trying to get it to start but since got weaker like the battery was bad. I cleaned the crap out of the terminals and connectors (shiny brass!) to no avail. Starter maybe? Any suggestions? Thanks.
umm..... starter problem?
Old 02-28-05, 04:54 AM
alister
Pole Position

Gotta be. Going to try it to get towed to the service center today and find out for sure. I hope it's not anymore than $400-450 installed.

I'm used to battery/alternator issues with my history of car stereo, but this car is a bit unique compared to my older cars.
Old 02-28-05, 06:48 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Hi Alister, not sure if this helps. I had the identical symptons with my 01 Toyota a while back. The problem was the aftermarket security system/starter I had installed. Basically, the battery was fine, I tested it...but the car just wouldn't turn. All lights and radio came on fine. Basically, the battery got drained when I left the lights on. I boosted the car but that set off my alarm somehow and the car just wouldn't start. The fix was to reset my alarm manually and the car came alive!

Quick Reply: Help! Car wont start