GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to get easier steering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 07:51 AM
geelex4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get easier steering?

What up, I was wondering if the was a way to make the steering more loose. It feels so tight, I know I have 20's on, but I doubt that's the problem. I wanna make it real easy to turn ..is there a way to do that. Also does coilover give u a better ride..cause I wanna drop my car, but I don't want to ruin my ride.
Old 02-06-05, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by geelex4
What up, I was wondering if the was a way to make the steering more loose. It feels so tight, I know I have 20's on, but I doubt that's the problem. I wanna make it real easy to turn ..is there a way to do that. Also does coilover give u a better ride..cause I wanna drop my car, but I don't want to ruin my ride.
well coilover will help to lower the car and yet give you a good ride, but it's definitely going to be harsher a bit. so that's your choice

for the steering, that's tough man, maybe you can just ask them to loosen up the steering wheel pretensioner a bit
Old 02-07-05, 07:26 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a set of HKS coilovers on to my GS4 and man the ride is about the same. But the coilovers haven't been fully adjusted yet to the drop I want with my 19 set up. But let me tell you I was completely shocked on the comfort of the ride quality. The easy of the installation, the car handles like a dream now to very crisp on the turns.
Old 02-07-05, 08:38 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

this post makes no sense to me...the GS stock has EXTREMELY loose steering...

if anything you want it tighter not looser....

Maybe you want a towncar.....
Old 02-07-05, 08:47 AM
geelex4
Driver School Candidate

Default Question

Do you own my specific car, how then would you know how it perfrom. I am asking someone who has a bit of insight on giving some Idea, why this could be or if there is a problem. I am not asking how your gs perform "NT2S"
Old 02-07-05, 09:07 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess the GS steering can be considered tight if you are looking for a cruiser lux type car. It is a sports sedan though and in that respect, it is a bit loose. Try putting your stockers back on to see if it still steers the same. You'll then know if the 20s contributed to the steering.

As for coilovers, if you get ones that made for comfort street driving, then your ride should not get too bad. You've already taken a lot of the hit from sidewall/rubber loss when you put 20s on. If you get racing/ultra performance coilovers then forget it.
Old 02-07-05, 09:21 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Heavy steering could be a result of the increased weight, assuming that there is nothign wrong with the actual steering mechanism or suspension.

I dont have first hand knowledge, "I'm to poor" but some say that going to lighter brakes on the front end will make the steering significantly better and "lighter" 20's are normally pretty heavy and could very well have contributed to your issue.
Old 02-07-05, 09:45 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Heavy steering could be a result of the increased weight, assuming that there is nothign wrong with the actual steering mechanism or suspension.
This is definitely true. The reduction in weight when I swapped out my brakes made the car more responsive.
Old 02-07-05, 09:50 AM
geelex4
Driver School Candidate

Default I understand

Maybe I should have gave more input...it's fine when I am driving...I was more concern about parking. Yeah it's pretty loose while driving, just right, however when parking I hate to turn that thing. I think it might really have to do with my rims...aslo I am a bit lazy so when parking I try to move as little muscle as I can...thanks fellas.
Old 02-07-05, 10:33 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

I dont think it can be that bad..

You should check to see if your power steering is connected.
Old 02-07-05, 06:31 PM
geelex4
Driver School Candidate

Default funny

I think the problem stems from my gurls 04 E500....The steering is so loose and effortless, I guess I wanted my GS to have that also. Anyways I was comparing the Mercedes to the Lex, bad Idea. Anyways now that I know there are no quick fix, I WILL MAKE DUE with what I have.Thanks for all the suggestion.
Old 02-07-05, 07:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe you could put an overdrive pulley on ps pump
Old 02-07-05, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Maybe I should have gave more input...it's fine when I am driving...I was more concern about parking. Yeah it's pretty loose while driving, just right, however when parking I hate to turn that thing. I think it might really have to do with my rims...aslo I am a bit lazy so when parking I try to move as little muscle as I can...thanks fellas.
i think that will haev to do with the wider front tires and thus a lot more contact areas with teh ground. not sure if there is any easy fix for this though