GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Longevity of V8 vs. I-6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 01:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by livesc400
I have a 1998 SC400 with the 1UZFE vvt-i with 211k miles and I can still embarass any Mustang GT on the road. Does not leak a drop of oil. I spent $1700 on a 150k mile tune up and since then nothing wrong. Using Mobil1 SuperSyn 5W30 and Mobil1 filter every 4-5k (I have heard you can go higher than 7k). I drive it 110 miles each day back and forth to work and do not even worry about my drivetrain failing on me. The engine and tranny of the 1UZ or the 2JZ (little bro has one 1999 GS300) are both unbelievable. The 1UZ has 6 bolt mains. Just remember to keep your fluids changed regularly and perform any necessary maintenance. I am going to put some Denso Iridiums in the car soon so I can take my car for some record setting mileage

Good Luck and Happy trouble-free Lexus-ing
LiveSC400
imho the leatherseats will probably go out first before the engine/tranny
Old 02-23-05, 06:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

either engine is a good choie for durability .. the v8 has been used since the inception of the ls400 back in late 1989 and the block is still used today.. they are race engines in disguise.. they are 6 bolt mains which you rarely ever see in a street car.. they can handle 10k rpms all day with no wear issues ,in fact the airplane builder cessna had considered using the v8 in their new line because they were so reliable, they are built so tight i have yet to hear of one leaking oil in fact one of my svc rep friends told me of a 99 gs 400 that had 87k miles without ever having a oil change, once they flushed the block and ran new oil in it idled like new

the inline 6 , you cant kill it unless you use a shotgun to the block and even then put a couple of bandaids and it will still run LOL
Old 02-23-05, 09:38 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toyota inline 6 has had its share of head gasket problems. I'm surprised at how many people say it is as reliable as the V8.
Old 02-23-05, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
either engine is a good choie for durability .. the v8 has been used since the inception of the ls400 back in late 1989 and the block is still used today.. they are race engines in disguise.. they are 6 bolt mains which you rarely ever see in a street car.. they can handle 10k rpms all day with no wear issues ,in fact the airplane builder cessna had considered using the v8 in their new line because they were so reliable, they are built so tight i have yet to hear of one leaking oil in fact one of my svc rep friends told me of a 99 gs 400 that had 87k miles without ever having a oil change, once they flushed the block and ran new oil in it idled like new

the inline 6 , you cant kill it unless you use a shotgun to the block and even then put a couple of bandaids and it will still run LOL
not very sure about running 10k rpm on the v8 my friend ran his race car lexus v8, and after a while the pistons got weak
Old 02-24-05, 04:47 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
not very sure about running 10k rpm on the v8 my friend ran his race car lexus v8, and after a while the pistons got weak
well it all depends on how well the v8 was maintained... these again are 6 boly mains with double walled cyl blocks with hardened pistons.. they can take 10k rpm all day long for cessena did just that to determine the durability of the block

these engines can run 400k miles easy before any sig wear appears
Old 02-24-05, 06:23 AM
curiousg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doug_999
The Toyota inline 6 has had its share of head gasket problems. I'm surprised at how many people say it is as reliable as the V8.

Interesting. I had not heard that before. What time period/cars did this occur in?
Old 02-24-05, 11:22 AM
PaqZa
Driver School Candidate

Does that BOTHER YOU in the least? I religiously change the oil on my cars at 3k...I don't understand how someone could go nearly 29 times that without ever doing it. That just sounds painful...
Old 02-24-05, 12:56 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaqZa
Does that BOTHER YOU in the least? I religiously change the oil on my cars at 3k...I don't understand how someone could go nearly 29 times that without ever doing it. That just sounds painful...
bro i feel the same way , in fact i use part synth part pure oil and i still change mine at 2500 mile intervals
Old 02-24-05, 01:19 PM
Five1OH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
Is that supposed to mean its not as reliable as the V8?

let me address the head gasket issues.

Toyotas 7mge and 7mgte engines had the head gasket problems. They were used in the MKIII supras and mabey some other older toyotas that I dont know about.

The 2jz does not have any head gasket problems. Ive heard of people running 700 hp on the stock gasket without any problems.

The only issue ive heard of with the 2jz engines were valve stem seals that need to be replaced at about 150k miles (often makes a clicking noise until the engine is warmed up). This is not as serious of an issue or as common as the 7m engine blowing its head gaskets . Many have gone way past 200k miles with no rebuilds and have not had any problems with the valve stem seals or the engine in general. At 150k miles, I would say it is just wear.

The (2JZ) I-6 is just as reliable as the (1UZFE) V8

Last edited by Five1OH; 02-24-05 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 02:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bro i feel the same way , in fact i use part synth part pure oil and i still change mine at 2500 mile intervals
Most synthetic blend oils on the market (partial synth, partial dyno) are around 10% synth and 90% dyno, yet they charge you more like halfway between dyno and synth in terms of pricing, so you would expect 50/50. Nope.
Old 02-24-05, 02:54 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Most synthetic blend oils on the market (partial synth, partial dyno) are around 10% synth and 90% dyno, yet they charge you more like halfway between dyno and synth in terms of pricing, so you would expect 50/50. Nope.

good point bro however i use 3 qts of syn blend and 3 quarts of pure synth so thats how i acheive a 50/50 blend
Old 02-24-05, 04:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good point bro however i use 3 qts of syn blend and 3 quarts of pure synth so thats how i acheive a 50/50 blend
Welp just make sure it's the same brand and weight/viscosity and you should be fine, although I gotta wonder how much are you really saving by doing half blend and half synthetic? (~55-60% total synth content). Wouldn't it still be more cost efficient to do half dyno oil and half full synthetic (50% blend)? Or maybe just full synthetic?
Old 02-24-05, 05:06 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive 110 miles a day full synth (Mobil1 5W30 and Mobil1 Filter) every 5-6k (200+k on a 1998 1UZFE). There have been oil tests with Mobil1 and Mobil1 filter that show virtually no wear after a 10k interval on a 1999 LS400. 3k intervals won't hurt but I honestly do not think it would make too much of a difference as far as wear on our motors. Perhaps 3k intervals will benefit driveability and gas mileage but I think there is not enough significant evidence out there to make me think otherwise. Just my $.02.
Old 02-24-05, 08:21 PM
SRK
Driver

The only series of Toyota engines that have not had head gasket problems are the V-8 engines. The late I-6 Lexus engine seems to be good as well. But in the 1970's and 1980's and certainly well into the 90's, Toyota fours and sixes, both inline and vee, blew head gaskets. In fact Toyota is credited with the invention of the Multi-Layer steel gasket, first introduced on the V-6 engines, which blew head gaskets regularly. Now the US makers, including Fel-pro, are making such gaskets.
So as much as the 1-UZ engines appear to have great head gaskets, it is the result of constant effort on the part of Toyota to address problems their engines have had over the years.
Old 02-24-05, 09:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

The current 2JZ has long lineage going back to the late 70's and to some degree the '65/'66 2000 GT. The evolution of the 2J has lots of history and there is a reason it has endured this long.

The head gasket thing in the 7M-GE was due to low torque on the head so as the engine heat cycled it would blow typically at 65K miles or there abouts. I don't recollect the exact stats, it was torqued to like 58 or 62 foot pounds as opposed to it being like 70. That created a mass exit of those generation Cressidas and Supras. Sad time in Toyota history. The V-8 while much newer has demonstrated the usual Toyota traits of longevity.

For me, I'd take the historical lineage of the I-6. While many engines are "smooth", something about having a decendant that has been around for this long is testament to Toyota. Most won't care but having driven cars with the 5M till the 2JZ I appreciate the advances this motor has seen.

Plus because it has been in the Toyota line this long, repairs and mods are well documented and evolving.

Quick Reply: Longevity of V8 vs. I-6?