GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Leather Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 08:41 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My GS3 is only 6months old and never been out under the sun except during driving. However, I am having this leather problem on the front passenger seat. As I was exiting my car today, i noticed that there are some deep straight line near the shoulder area. They don't look like the normal wear and tear ones on the side of the seat. They aren't cracked or ripped but they are DEEP and noticeable. It almost looks like someone keyed my leather seat!! I am the sole person that rides in the car monday thru friday and only on weekend that my girlfriend would hop on. Does anyone know a way to get rid of it? And also, what's your take on Lexus leather? To me, I think they are still not up to the quality of BMW and Benz except for the new LS430 or the SC430...These perforated leather just can't take the wear and tear...!!!!
Old 05-24-01, 09:08 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a lot of cracks in mine too.
I tried everything and they are still there.
The only way is to get the seats repainted.
Old 05-24-01, 09:22 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Lou,

But mine is a 2001 and it's only 6 months old!!! It shouldn't be cracking that soon..Well, I can tell you my dad's 91 LS400's leather is pretty jacked.....but then, he never took care of his car and never once massage or conditioned the leather..so he deserved it...
Old 05-24-01, 10:27 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Exclamation

Not as nice as BMW leather ??! Have you ever smelled the interior of a new Bimmer ?? It's absolutely horrible, and it stays that way for months. My fiancee' just bought a 330 convertible and the leather isn't at all soft, granted it's more sports oriented than a Lexus, but the leather is the same for the ENTIRE line, all the way up to the 7-series. Go to bimmer.org and watch how they argue about which is better, the vinyl or leather option, since they're so close in quality !! Do you want leather that can be mistaken for vinyl ?! Mercedes does the same thing, only worse, they combine the 2 on lower priced vehicles, telling you that they hold up longer, imagine asking for it on the S-series ? They'll laugh you out of the showroom. Just keep applying Lexol cleaner and conditioner to keep the leather supple and soft, and you shouldn't have any further problems.
Old 05-24-01, 10:33 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we both can lose some weight!
No mine started appearing early also when we first got the car.
Something about the Lexus dye for the leather that cracks really easily.
Old 05-24-01, 11:08 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I think one of the reason why lexus leather crack so easily is due to the softness. Despite I am a proud lexus owner, I think that lexus needs to learn from bmw/benz on the leather part. And yes, it is very true that the vinyl looks and feel similar to the leather except the funky smell, but bmw/benz vinyl and leather are DURABLE! Just take a look at the e-class from the early 90's and compare to a lexus from the early 90's. The Merc still look brand spanking new and lexus are all crack....
Old 05-24-01, 11:12 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Take it to the dealer

The leather is warranted in the same way any other (non engine/transmission) part of car is. If I were you I'd take it to the dealer with a warranty claim. I know others on the site have had problems with their dealer, but mine has always been willing to address things like this.
Old 05-24-01, 12:53 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

This is akin to what happened with Reebok back when they first entered the market with their aerobics sneakers, they felt like glove leather and were extremely comfortable, but that would tear from the rubber and wear out easily. But although BMW is stiffer, look at a 5 year old model, and check out the condition of the seats, horrible. All wrinkled and discolored, my buddy's wife has a 96 and the leather is shot, the rest of the car is meticulous. I live in Boston, but I can only imagine what it's like living in extreme hot or cold year round and what it must do to a car.
Old 05-24-01, 02:45 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Id take the lexus leather over mercedes' or bmw's any day. Its so much softer and I love sitting in it..Whenever I get in a benz or bmw, it so damn stiff its uncomfortable. And with cracks and stuff...You said you have a deep line in yours...I think thats just part of the leather (leather isnt perfect)..I got my car a year and a half ago, and other than this one line that was in it since I got it, its been doing fine...I lexoled it 1 month after I got it to make sure its conditioned and ready for the extreme hot weather (I dont know what they do to it when it comes from the factory, so I cleaned/clonditioned it myself). Since then Ive been lexoling it ever six months and it looks brand new as of now.

to me, lexus made a wise decision on its soft leather -=)
Old 05-24-01, 04:51 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hmm, how is the leather in the new LS430 and SC430? Same type of leather as in the GS's??

I too have deep cracks in my black leather that no matter what I do, I can't get rid of !

I agree with fierce GS, that I would take a lex over any other car.. My friend got the new CL500 and after sitting in it for awhile my butt started to get numb.

Btw: If any of you wanted to know how the CL500, its not worth the money IMHO ! Sure it has more little gadgets .. but who freggin cares.. your paying upwards of $95,000. It only has 302 HP, spending money like that I would expect 400 HP. Don't get me wrong, the CL500 is a HOT CAR but get an SC430, you'll be equally happy garanteed with 30g's extra in your pocket.

Old 05-25-01, 11:46 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus is great

I can't believe u guys liek the BMW/Benz leather!!! My dad had a 1987 350 SDL (bas @$$ ride) and those seats were ok, but a few months ago we test drove a 1997 E-320 (also a nice car) and i didn't like those seats that much. My 1992 SC300 has gray leather seats and they are just begining to crack, so i am going to go to work on them tom. w/ the conditioner, etc. but i think they are more comfortable than Benz seats. I must admit though, i haven't been in an S class for a while.
As for the BMWs, i hate those w/ a passion. My uncle has a 1997 or 1998 M3 (silver on silver) and those seats are sooooo hard. I do admit that they are sportier than any Lexus seat, but still....its like sitting on a rock in his car, and this is on every BMW. We test drove an X5 when it first came out (just to drive it) and those seats were hard also. I love the Lexus seats (especially the ones in my dads 1999 GS300) and would never change them. My dads seats have always had a large deep line going down his seats in the very middle, but i dont think this is the problem w/ davez seats. My dads aren't cracked or anything. The only thing that Lexus should start putting in their car is more adjustable seats. My dad had a 1991 Celica GT-S and you could adjust the "wings" on the side of the seat which would make the seat narrower or wider. Lexus might have this on 01 models, i dunno.
Old 05-25-01, 02:37 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Post quote

davezaristo

I agree with Dave on the leather quality of the MB vs the Lex.... I've seen to many cracks in the Lex vs the Benz.....

Everything else we WIN>>>>>