GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just got L-Tuned exhaust and ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-01 | 12:06 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Talking

AWESOME!

I was a little worried since some on this board were thinking that the L-Tuned was loud. No such worries! I used to have a Firehawk so the exhaust is just right for this kind of car. Cruising on the highway at 65-70 the stock tire noise is still the loudest part by far. (Until I jump on the throttle )

The ECU should be standard for all the GS. Less wandering around and now I don't have that "dead" spot after I start turning into a 90 degree corner.

Well worth the purchase price once I found a decent Lexus dealer to do the install. Now I just need to contemplate what to do next...

Peter
Old 05-25-01 | 12:43 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Peter:

Glad to hear your enthusiasm! I've echoed your sentiment about the ECU needing to be default several times in the past. It's GREAT! I also have the L-Tuned suspension setup which is also wonderful. I'm going to have my local dealer install the L-Tuned exhaust and TRD sway bars for me at my 10K servicing (I'm at 9.1K now) and I can't wait! I'm glad to hear you say that the exhaust isn't as overwhelming as people seem to have implied...

Scott
Old 05-25-01 | 01:28 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Question Suspension

Scott,

What do like best about your suspension setup versus the stock?

I'm debating between the springs/shocks and the TRD LSD.

Peter
Old 05-25-01 | 02:04 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Two things I like about the suspension change:

1. The overall handling enhancement. Doesn't corner on rails, but it's much tighter/flatter during turns

2. It lowers the car a little. I don't want my car to look like it's right off a high school lot, but it gives the car a little more aggressive stance, and it closes the wheel gap a little.

As for the suspension vs. the LSD, I'd personally have to go with the former for warranty reasons. The TRD LSD will void your powertrain warranty if something goes wrong and it's found to be at fault.

Someday in the post-warranty future I'd love to get the SRT HFI, SRT TC, and TRD LSD. The combination of those three for overall power, low end torque, and the ability to apply all that torque is extremely attractive. I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever been excited about LOSING my warranty!
Old 05-26-01 | 02:08 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

The only time I was that excited to loose anything it was my virginity!
Old 05-26-01 | 03:26 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by theanimala
The only time I was that excited to loose anything it was my virginity!
:eek: :eek:
Old 05-26-01 | 08:07 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Scott:
I think I agree with you about the warranty issue with the LSD. However I will *not* go another winter here without it. Hell my Firehawk handled better in the snow and I'm sure it had to do with the LSD. My only decision on the LSD will be TRD vs RMM. Since swapping in the TRD unit requires dis-assembling the stock rear-end I'm seriously considering the RMM unit since in the end it will cost about the same.

Thanks for your input on the suspension.

theanimala: Yowza :eek: . There was nothing "loose" the first time....... [edited for content]...
Old 05-28-01 | 02:36 AM
GSPOWER
Driver

Mr. Johnson,
I'm thinking about getting the L-Tuned exhaust too, but I was worried about it being too loud. Do you hear any resonance with the windows up? And on the freeway, do you hear the exhaust at all?
Old 05-28-01 | 07:45 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

GSPOWER:

There may be a resonance ~2000 rpm though it really only seems to happen when I make a lot of light on/off throttle transitions. Put the foot down into the throttle and it sounds nice. When I'm cruising on an asphalt highway (only way to keep the re030s quiet ) you can just hear the lower exhaust sound. When I'm on concrete the tires drown out the exhaust at cruise. In either case just turning on the stereo solves the problem.

I guess it will be up to you but I think that this exhaust suits the car just right. It doesn't try to be total muscle car and it is certainly not quiet. FWIW: I had a Firehawk before with a louder exhaust but similar in character. By that I mean it too would be reasonably quiet in cruising and come alive when you opened it up. I really like the combination of this exhaust on this car.

Peter
Old 06-25-01 | 06:58 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

I too am contemplating purchasing an exhaust for the GS400, but everyone is agreeing that there is low-end noise?

I used to have a tricked out 96 Accord where my exhaust was pretty noticeable. I don't want that with my GS at all, so that's why I decided against the exhaust. But now everyone says that it sounds real nice with a low hum.........

What's the power gain with the exhaust put on?
Old 06-25-01 | 08:57 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

kevs,

I've lived with it for a month now and love it. Yes if you are on/off partial throttle around ~2000 RPM for a long time you will hear it more than you might like. Otherwise I think you'll love it.

I don't know HP what gain, if any, you'll get by putting them on but I haven't noticed any difference SOTP in any way. I'm now waiting for my springs/shocks, sway bars and chassis brace.

Peter
Old 06-25-01 | 09:11 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I've heard numbers of 2-8HP gains from the exhaust, so nothing you'd notice, even at the high end. Don't let performance be the deciding factor with the exhaust; it should come down to whether you want a sporty, throaty exhaust note or the quiet isolation of the Lexus cab...
Old 06-25-01 | 11:19 AM
GSman
Pole Position

According to L-tuned sales, the exhaust adds 6 HP and is 10% db louder than stock.

Old 06-25-01 | 11:28 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCWells72
Peter:

Glad to hear your enthusiasm! I've echoed your sentiment about the ECU needing to be default several times in the past. It's GREAT! I also have the L-Tuned suspension setup which is also wonderful. I'm going to have my local dealer install the L-Tuned exhaust and TRD sway bars for me at my 10K servicing (I'm at 9.1K now) and I can't wait! I'm glad to hear you say that the exhaust isn't as overwhelming as people seem to have implied...

Scott
Scott, what color is your GS? Im in Austin as well. Im wondering if Ive seen your car around. Tiny
Old 06-25-01 | 12:33 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

My car is a 2001 Crystal White GS430 with the L-Tuned badging on the trunklid and behind the front wheels. I'm mostly on the south side of town as I live in Circle C and work at Mo Pac and Barton Skyway.

Quick Reply: Just got L-Tuned exhaust and ECU