GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Valet Parking incident

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 02:56 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NesTea420
To complete my story...today, I found the screws and pieces of the wire behind my house where I park my car...so it was stolen from behind my house by someone who knows my car and the area.

I am not going to presue after the valet eventhough I can have them pay for my lights.
It's very honorable of you to drop your demands against the valet company. And it sucks that this happened at your own house. Now you'll be suspicious of everyone for a couple of months. Good luck.
Old 02-21-05, 04:09 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup that's true, coz' if you look at any of the valet ticket, it has the liability statement and basically said that they aren't liable for any damage.... sux if you ask me....
Hey Rom. Allow the resident lawyer to jump in. The validity of the disclaimer really depends upon the state you're living in. Some states honor them, others don't. In those states that don't honor them, the reasoning is that it's not a legal contract, but rather, is simply a claim check, i.e., a way for you to pick up your car, dry cleaning, or whatever, and that most people don't even read the fine print or even know that it's there. I seem to recall that such disclaimers are valid in Illinois, but there are certain safeguards in place for the consumer. For example, my golf clubs were once stolen at a local course, and the course disclaimed liability because of a posted sign. I did some research on the subject and it's not enough in Illinois just to post a sign -- the sign has to be clearly visible, and if it's not conspicuous, it needs to be called to the attention of the consumer. And, in any event, disclaimers don't allow a company to absolve themselves of recklessness, only negligence. So, in my case, for example, where the course was aware of a pattern of conduct where dozens of bags had been stolen, the sign meant nothing.

e
Old 02-21-05, 04:15 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeGS300
this is the exact reason why i HATE valet parking. especially if the attendant is some teenager [grant it im still 19 but still.] i went to the old spaghetti factory in holleywood for a friends bday not too long ago and i hated seeing someone else drive my car. i asked if i could park it myself and keep my keys but they wouldnt let me. is it just me or does everyone check their pockets every so often to make sure their keys/phone/wallet is still on them? i freak when something is missing.

sorry about your fogs man..
word me too....

I have a philosophy I would like to share for those interested...

My money is green everywhere....if the lot is valet only, I find another restaurant to frequent. If my business means anything, they will bend the rules and allow me to park my own car where I want it parked.
Old 02-21-05, 06:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Rom. Allow the resident lawyer to jump in. The validity of the disclaimer really depends upon the state you're living in. Some states honor them, others don't. In those states that don't honor them, the reasoning is that it's not a legal contract, but rather, is simply a claim check, i.e., a way for you to pick up your car, dry cleaning, or whatever, and that most people don't even read the fine print or even know that it's there. I seem to recall that such disclaimers are valid in Illinois, but there are certain safeguards in place for the consumer. For example, my golf clubs were once stolen at a local course, and the course disclaimed liability because of a posted sign. I did some research on the subject and it's not enough in Illinois just to post a sign -- the sign has to be clearly visible, and if it's not conspicuous, it needs to be called to the attention of the consumer. And, in any event, disclaimers don't allow a company to absolve themselves of recklessness, only negligence. So, in my case, for example, where the course was aware of a pattern of conduct where dozens of bags had been stolen, the sign meant nothing.

e
hey e, that's very interesting to know. you have a good point though, the claim is there, but how is it in effect that i am not sure

but one thing for sure, i don't care how nice of a hotel or restaurant i am going, if i can't park my own car, i don't see myself driving my modded cars
Old 02-21-05, 08:24 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
It's very honorable of you to drop your demands against the valet company. And it sucks that this happened at your own house. Now you'll be suspicious of everyone for a couple of months. Good luck.
Yes I am..I am looking out at my car every other minute. I just got my ltuned springs and shocks i am worried to put them on.
Old 02-22-05, 01:57 AM
lexxtasy
Driver

Hey I am so sorry to hear about your terrible loss
Valet parking is always risky and now that you know the theft was done at your own house it might be wise to go through insurance but before doing so wait and see what the valet parking company says if. . . maybe if they reimburse you for your lights that way you shall be set . . .
but what lectasyGS400 said earlier could be done if only the screws were not found at the back of your house but unfortunately thats not the case . . .
so just wait and see what the valet company has to say and then pursue the insurance option and try to get a full quote from lexus including the grand total of charges and see what sort of damamge you are in? and file a claim presenting the quote to your insurance company and see what they reimburse you with? If lets say the lexus bill is $1000 you will get $500 (less the $500 deductible) for it from your insurance company. That way you can go buy the geniune foglights from outside shop and take them to a local trusted mechanic or your buddies mechanic or work on it yourself and have yourself covered either way . . . because its not fair and its not your fault your foglights got stolen so either wait for the valet company or go through insurance making sure you get compensated comprehensively by presenting the quote from Lexus on your claim. . .
Good Luck
Hope things work out for you
Old 02-22-05, 05:15 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

mechanic or work on it yourself and have yourself covered either way . . . because its not fair and its not your fault your foglights got stolen so either wait for the valet company or go through insurance making sure you get compensated comprehensively by presenting the quote from Lexus on your claim. . .
Good Luck
Hope things work out for you [/QUOTE]

I am not going to presue the valet company since it was not their fault. I don't think it is worth it to put a claim with my insurance company since it will probably cost around <500 for the fogs installed. I did mention this to my insurance company though. For now I am just going wait and see if I'll find some fogs for a good price...if not I will have to go without fogs for a while.
Old 02-22-05, 01:23 PM
lexxtasy
Driver

Thats true well Good luck with getting your foglights and hopefully everything works out for you!
Old 02-22-05, 02:34 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn...dat sux big time.

Unfortunately, most valet service usually state on the back of their ticket stub....or written someplace that they will NOT be liable for items stolen from or damage to your car....which is BS.

Suit them....take them to small claims court.

Good luck bro.

Pete
Old 03-02-05, 01:17 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Fog lights on eBay...

1 bid for $199:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33709

Or these one with a BuyItNow of $260:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...519&category=0

They might even be yours!

Last edited by jonathancl; 03-02-05 at 01:30 PM.