GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any way to add factory nav to GS without it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-01, 06:44 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told by my dealer that it can't be done because it requres "pre wiring" but I believe they are referring to the wiring to the engine computer so that the nav system knows how far it's gone via the ODO.

It's fairly easy to add an aftermarket nav so I'm wondering what it is about the factory one that is "impossible".

The factory nav is much better than most aftermarket systems and I like the factory look and touch screen.

I'm sure all the parts can be ordered and put in, I'm sure they don't design the cars so that ones with nav systems are that much different.

Any ideas?
Old 05-27-01, 08:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there are just too many things involved in the NAV system that it'll be super-costly and time-consuming to add a factroy one. Stereo needs to be changed, whole console, antenna, etc. etc. Easier to just trade in your car for a new one.

Aftermarket NAVs have advantages also. Other than that it'll be ALOT cheaper and REALISTICALLY POSSIBLE to do, the monitor can be used in other applications also such as TV and DVD viewing.
Old 05-27-01, 09:11 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I would just get an aftermarket if I were you, look at the pics of some of the GS's here that have done it. You can get tv, dvd, and navigation all in one and it will look a lot better too (especially the fold out lcd)

I am sure the factory one would cost close to 3k to buy and install, I wouldn't spend that on just a factory nav.
Old 05-27-01, 10:23 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not imposible to put the factory NAV back on I have seen it done before they can do it but they told me your better off doing a custom intall rather than the factory one since the factory parts/install costs over 7000 dollars to do I think they said somewhere between 10k-12k so with that kind of money you can get a custom stereo with nav., wheels, lowering springs, a body kit , and a supercharger if you shop right. Just me $2.70 on it
Old 05-27-01, 10:33 PM
RacingAristo

Could you guys recommend some of the aftermarket NAV system for GS430? Not too fancy. I just want the NAV with possible DVD function.
Old 05-28-01, 08:47 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Alpine

I reccommend the Alpine POWERNAV. It is unbelievable. The lexus dealers really liked they way it was designed because they were checking it out when I took it for service. Hmm I am not sure if anyone else on this board has Powernav, not to my knowledge at least. Its rated #1 for the best navigation unit (DVD) in aftermarket currently.

Though you can't play DVD's with the powernav and you have to buy a separate system for just DVD's. I am using the Alpine IVA-C800 as my flip-top head unit. Though Pioneer has a 7" LCD screen compared to my 6.5" screen, but IMO the Alpine is a little bit clearer and makes better DVD's, NAV etc.. than Pioneer. Though Pioneer is also a very good company.
Old 05-28-01, 08:48 AM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default wastegate

I spoke with someone at the dealer a few months back that did that exact thing. He found a wrecked GS and took the nav unit,hard drive, antennae, and installed it in his. He said he paid $2000.00 for the complete setup and it worked perfectly after he took it to the dealer for a update that they charged $200 for. He also said that the car had all of the wiring from the factory there which makes sense. Why build two assembly lines just for wiring.
Old 05-28-01, 02:52 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I think Dieselman has a great recommendation. You will be very pleased !
Old 05-28-01, 04:57 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default factory or aftermarket

Probaby depends on the persons tate. I looked at a few afterarket Nav systes such as listed abov, but i had to have the factory look. To me the aftermaket ones looked very cheesy when "flipped up",p lus it was difficult to manager the HVAC controls since the screen is blocking them. the aftermarket nav sstems are better then any factory system, no doubt, but I liked the factory "built in" look. Plus to control the HVAC with the touchscreen is pretty coolan and I have heard of many of those flip screens not flipping after a short while. I will probably put one of those flip screens in my NSX but I looked around for a GS with it built in and im glad I did. Aftermarket stereos just do not look "right" in the Lexus dash. IMO. Its all a matter of taste though. Factory or a better aftermarket system.
Old 06-07-01, 12:59 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

i was wondering if anyone knew where to get the faceplate kit that goes in the 98 GS so that it will accept a 1 or 2 DIN unit???

email me at

Joe@gtho.net

PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU KNOW