GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Black Pearl Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 05:42 PM
marcus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Pearl Grill?

Has anyone painted their black grill to black pearl ? I thought I saw on the Google image search sometime ago a black grill whose slats seemed to be quite reflective.

If anyone has done this, I would like to see what it looks like. Thanks!
Old 02-22-05, 07:15 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Wink

S-E-A-R-C-H

"black grill" "diy paint grill"

Similar here?
Attached Thumbnails Black Pearl Grill?-3-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 02-22-05 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 08:34 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus
Has anyone painted their black grill to black pearl ? I thought I saw on the Google image search sometime ago a black grill whose slats seemed to be quite reflective.

If anyone has done this, I would like to see what it looks like. Thanks!

The black grill you saw on google is probably the sport designs grill with the Center "L" chrome. My buddy has it on his car. Looks very sharp. He's planning on selling it. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Tommy
Old 02-22-05, 09:20 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

here is my black pearl grill

Old 02-22-05, 09:24 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

wow. never seen a black pearl grille. is that a diy or factory?
Old 02-22-05, 09:58 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct me if this is not right, but where does the pearl come in to play on the above examples??

I'd say that was just black paint.

The black pearl as in the factory emblems appears to be black chrome. Again, someone enlighten me if this is not correct. The difference I see is that the shine is a mirror like reflection, where I'd say anything that is painted will yield a glossy black shine, but not a reflection.

There are black chroming services available to coat a transparent black tint over your existing chrome pieces. You can have the chrome tinted in several shades of black, however dark you want.

Someone should definitely try this on a stock grill that has been stripped of the paint to reveal all chrome.

Here's the black chrome treatment I have had done to various parts of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Black Pearl Grill?-black-chrome.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-22-05 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 11:09 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Correct me if this is not right, but where does the pearl come in to play on the above examples??

I'd say that was just black paint.

The black pearl as in the factory emblems appears to be black chrome. Again, someone enlighten me if this is not correct. The difference I see is that the shine is a mirror like reflection, where I'd say anything that is painted will yield a glossy black shine, but not a reflection.

There are black chroming services available to coat a transparent black tint over your existing chrome pieces. You can have the chrome tinted in several shades of black, however dark you want.

Someone should definitely try this on a stock grill that has been stripped of the paint to reveal all chrome.

Here's the black chrome treatment I have had done to various parts of my car.
It doesn't !.Can this not be purchased yourself to customize the amount of tint you like?

Yours looks awesome- ture opposed to true black where you loose the shinyness in

your black coat -critical now! Another option not black pearl but still acheive's

shinyness - is to apply black paint along with clear coats
Attached Thumbnails Black Pearl Grill?-u-2.jpg  

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 02-22-05 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 11:14 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
It doesn't !.Can this not be purchased yourself to customize the amount of tint you like?

This would look nicer than true black and it is not shiny paint. The other option not black pearl either and example to acheive shinyness - D-man63 I noted applied black paint along with clear coats

I have seen stuff that was spray on, but it chips off easy. Being on the front of the car, I don't think it would last long. The black chrome I had done is very durable. Somehow they have mastered a process that allows the tint to stick to a smooth finish like chrome and not come off easy.

The other thing with spray on DIY tint is it's hard to make an even finish when the paint is transparent. You will get a spotty appearance if sprayed unevenly. That sounds hard to control on a front grill with all the surfaces.
Old 02-22-05, 11:21 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

I agree- I'm sure the quality is outstanding - waterproof- impossible to tell it isn't stock.

Saw those threads on the black chrome the trunk bar too and how great the quality is

I didn't know the black pearl tint existed. I also seem to remember someone black

pearled the chrome emblems- that doesn't seem worth it as they are about $30-80 now,

I think. Wonder in comparison how your black chrome headlights look different then DIY

tinted ones?

Quality is key looking good and not having to worry about anything after spending time

getting it right. You did a great job
Old 02-23-05, 01:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
I agree- I'm sure the quality is outstanding - waterproof- impossible to tell it isn't stock.

Saw those threads on the black chrome the trunk bar too and how great the quality is

I didn't know the black pearl tint existed. I also seem to remember someone black

pearled the chrome emblems- that doesn't seem worth it as they are about $30-80 now,

I think. Wonder in comparison how your black chrome headlights look different then DIY

tinted ones?

Quality is key looking good and not having to worry about anything after spending time

getting it right. You did a great job
i say it's going to be pretty different. these tints aren't the normal tints i say, they should be very very thin and flexible, that's why they are so hard to see after applied. and they are not just stick on like normal tint, i think they are some sort of photo adhesive process. i heard of that term before, it applies the material to any contour without any wrinkling
Old 02-23-05, 01:33 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

My black pearl grill I got it from the lexus dealer including my emblems , so it was all custom factory black pearl...same as my emblems it doesn't shine like ur headlight but it is black pearl not that cheap DIY black spray can.....
Old 02-23-05, 02:07 PM
marcus
Driver

Red face

I should have been a little more descriptive.......

The black pearl I was referring to is actually high gloss black paint that has metallic flake in it.

In bright sunlight, it no longer looks black. I cannot really pin down what color it does look like in the sun. Maybe a shade of brown ??? I might be a little color blind.

Testor's sells a small spray can for about $3.00 and it is called "black pearl metallic". I do agree that anything painted on the front of the car is going to take a beating. I think it would need a lot of clear coat. I do appreciate the comments and pics so far.