GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 - 3rd Fastest 4-Door In The World?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-01, 08:22 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Don't forget about...

...the Audi S6 (only available overseas until 2002) or the MB C32 coming out in a few months (347HP SC V6, 0-60 in 5.2 or so). I'm a huge fan of my GS430 and I look forward to making it even quicker when my warranty goes bye-bye, but it ain't the absolute fastest or quickest thing out there. However, it's REALLY close in general!
Old 05-30-01, 09:00 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

The E55 is an automatic and will spank a GS430.

I don't think it is fair to include tuner cars. They are not factory cars anymore than Dinan is for BMW or Swift is for Lexus. They don't have to deal with the obstacles that a major manufacturer does when building a car or having it certified for different markets.
Old 05-30-01, 09:07 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

By the way, some of the older Mercedes and my car would have to be included on that list. The E500 was sub 14 in the 1/4 mile in the earl y 90's.
Old 05-30-01, 09:45 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Performance also comes with a price tag!
I think after we put a price tag on each of those cars that were mentioned, one can clearly sees why GS400/430 is an awesome deal. Don't you guys think that if we take the price differential and mod the car, GS 400/430 can be just as fast if not faster than some of those cars mentioned? I will bet that MIKE's (The Super GS)
is faster than all these cars mentioned above and the overall money that he spend is probably still less than some of them.

just my $0.000002 <--- Nasdaq is killing my value here
Old 05-30-01, 11:11 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

The money argument is endless. I could build a four door car that would kill a GS for half the cost also.

To build a street/emissions legal GS to match an M5 would cost pretty damn close to the $25k difference.
Supercharger is $10k, suspension $2k, tires and wheels $4k, brakes $2.5k. etc. and you lose your warranty.
Old 05-30-01, 11:44 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So...... in the end what is the fastest sedan, not including any tuning like M-Technics or AMG or L-tuned or Quattro gmbH or TRD or Nismo or Ralliart or STi or Mugen? Like, strait out of factory and NOT TUNED? (tuning car doesn't count right?)
Old 05-30-01, 12:55 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

BMW //M is not a separate company nor has it ever been. It is simply another plant at BMW and in some cases just options for the car. Therefore, you can't exclude //M cars.

If you did, I think one of the supercharged Jags may win that award.
Old 05-30-01, 06:29 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by KKelly
BMW //M is not a separate company nor has it ever been. It is simply another plant at BMW and in some cases just options for the car. Therefore, you can't exclude //M cars.

If you did, I think one of the supercharged Jags may win that award.

Of course //M has always been a part of BMW. Just like TRD to Toyota and Mugen to Honda. I'm just saying they're TUNING DIVISIONS dedicated, and which should not count.

Which Jag?
Old 05-30-01, 06:57 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Of course we can exclude M class or AMG class, for that money worth, you can build a GS killing both of them. If you want one GS matches M5 performance, get SRT's TC, and its HYI, it will be pretty darn close. Plus, M5 is an manual, thus supposely it's faster.

IMO it's not a fair contest if you put these sedens together, an M5 is close to 80k+ for that extra 30+k you can build a lightspeed GS = )

GS430/400 should remain the best price/value. it's the king of its league.

I think i am getting one.. ^^
Old 05-30-01, 07:00 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I think, in the end, my list stays just about the same:

1. BMW M5 ( 0-60 in 4.7 )

2. MB E55 ( 0-60 in 5.0 )

3. Jaguar XJR ( 0-60 in 5.4 )

4. Lexus GS400/430 ( 0-60 in 5.8)

I actually would count the M-series of BMW because you can easily go to a dealer and buy a brand new 2001 M5 just like you can buy a Lexus GS430. I would also count the MB E55 AMG because you can buy it with just as much ease.

The only cars I wouldn't count are Renntech and all the other tuners such as Brabus, Lorinser, etc. I consider them "extreme" and "more than just a factory option package".

You can't really count a L-Tuned GS just because you can count an AMG MB. Until Lexus starts to offer TWO DIFFERENT types of GS4's, one regular and one L-Tuned (or SRT or whatever), like MB, then I would think its fair to count a L-Tuned/SRT GS in the list. (You know maybe Mo @ SRT should talk to Lexus, they might even make him some sort of chief engineer, but I am sure he won't leave his business unless he gets REALLY good pay...)

About the "bang for the buck" deal. Yes, the GS does give a lot more bang for the buck coming out of a brand new car (no old 70s fix up cars that go faster than porsches). I think that the GS does gain lots of points in that area, and where money is no object BUT it has to be a 4-door mass production car, like the M5, the jag, the E55 or the GS, NOT like the Renntech, nor Brabus, etc.

So, BRAND NEW, MASS PRODUCTION, 4-DOOR (no 2 door sedans), and ALL-FACTORY (except for the mb and bmw cases mentioned above).

Plus I think we should also separate automatics from manuals. A car may also be listed twice in both the automatic and manual sections. For example, if the GS430 does 0 to 60 in 5.8 seconds automatic, then that number may be included in automatic, and in can be included in manual again for a 0 to 60 number tracked from using its e-shift, let's say 6.1 seconds. Therefore, some cars may beat the GS in manual mode, but not in automatic mode.

I think I have gone through each of the concerns/opinions posted above.

Any comments?

Last edited by nanotech; 05-30-01 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-30-01, 07:20 PM
WHITEGS400
Rookie

Cool

Hello guys, can we have the final top 5 or 10 list of the worlds fastest AUTOMATIC sedans (no manuals or mods count, just the automatics) I am sure Lexus is top 5 at least. You guys are forgetting one very key competitor to the GS400 & 54oi and thats is the all new redesigned Q45 (I think its list 0-60 in 5.6 or 5.7 seconds?)

Can someone please post a nice top 10 list and their 0-60 times.

Also, I know that M5 is a very fast car but you can compare it to the GS400 since its manual only! Is there any other sites that looks something like this (very lively scene) I been to bimmers.org I think and it really blows.

By the way how sick are the previews for "The Fast and Furious" movie, I can't wait to see it!
Old 05-30-01, 07:32 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I would consider the M5 and E55 to be TUNED and be excluded. It's true that you can just walk into a dealer and come out with a M5 or E55, but then they ARE tuned, just by the factory sports division.

As to compare a GS430 with, I think the 540ia and the E430 should be classified as in the same race. Wouldn't sound fair to compare the M5 and E55 to a GS430. Afterall, if it was a GS500 and tuned by TRD, then the M5 and E55 can suck dust. M5 and E55 uses new engines, not just tuned also.

About the bang for the buck:

of course the GS offers alot more BfortheB compared to the 5series and E-class. But I don't think that's the main reason why the GS is so good. The Acura TL costs about 10k less than a GS3, as fast, as big, so should we say better BfortheB? No because you can't sacrifice any quality when you save money. I can get 2 Kias with more room than the TL and still cost less. I can spend 30k on mods on a CRX and make it go faster than the Modena. See?

So GS is still the best bang for the bucks because with that price tag there isn't really anything we can complain about.
Old 05-30-01, 07:40 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

There is some good thought coming from GlobeCLK.

Its not necessarily fair to compare the M5 and E55 to the GS since they are "tuned". And even the Jag is "supercharged", therefore, eliminating those from my list:

1. BMW M5 ( 0-60 in 4.7 )

2. MB E55 ( 0-60 in 5.0 )

3. Jaguar XJR ( 0-60 in 5.4 )

4. Lexus GS400/430 ( 0-60 in 5.8)

It makes the GS400 #1 !

BUT still, I would like to count the M5 and E55 because of the reason that you can go buy them with as ease as a GS and that they are mass produced also (maybe not as many as GS400s but still).

Plus, I don't really care to see a M5 or E55 at the top, I think that's actually good, because it might persuade Lexus to create something that could beat an M5, like a GS500 maybe?

And ofcourse to us owners of GS4's, our cars are the best! Why else would we choose to drive GS400s (or 430s)?
Old 05-30-01, 07:41 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, GlobeCLK, what's up with the CLK part? Everytime I see that it makes me think of a MB CLK, do you like or own an MB CLK? If not, then what's up with your screename?
Old 05-30-01, 07:53 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by nanotech
By the way, GlobeCLK, what's up with the CLK part? Everytime I see that it makes me think of a MB CLK, do you like or own an MB CLK? If not, then what's up with your screename?

Everyone asks me that..... should I post this in the Q&A Section?

This GlobeCLK alias I got from my AOL screenname which I made 2 years ago. That was when I wanted a CLK. Since my Email heavily relied on AOL I can't get rid of it (GlobeGS or something) (Althought sometimes I go by RaysAristo) (not to be confused with RacingAristo).

Anyways the time finally came for me to get a car. Considered SLK, CLK, 528i, S4, GS3. Testdrove 528i didn't like it, S4 too small, SLK steering wheel couldn't adjust so can't drive. CLK at Penske Mercedes was pretty nice, and I thought maybe I should come back the next day and order one. Thought there's time so went to Longo Lexus. Testdrove GS3, went home with it .

Got it?

Yeah I wouldn't mind putting E55 and M5 on the list, afterall they ARE pretty nice. Just that when they think they'll all that because they're tuned and cost many many ks more, doesn't seem all that nice anymore.

Quick Reply: GS400 - 3rd Fastest 4-Door In The World?