GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Everyone Stop!!!!!!! (selling your 2nd gen gs)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 08:19 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
I was getting somewhat eager to sell before but luckily my fellow CL members did me a huge favor. They ==><== me back into place and made me realize if we mod our cars the right way it will never look dated..
sell yours and buy a low mileage GS4

that might be a good idea too
Old 02-25-05, 09:11 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The reason I jumped ship is the price drop of the current 1998 GS300. There popping up around here. There not tastefully modded either. Ive seen them with 22" add on spinners and 2 tone paint that looks like crap. Gold and red, baby blue and black. Black wheels on Gold with no drop. I was driving downtown and the gold and red with 22" was following me like he was trying to show off. He had speakers under his car blasting treble. ITs pathetic what I see in my town. You can find a 1998 GS300 with over 100k miles for like $12,000.00. Its a shame seeing this basterdized GS's with no drop and big ugly truck wheels. Im going to start a collection of ugly GS pics. I like the new 3rd Gen but imo im not paying retail. For $50k theres alot of other cars worth looking at. within the next 6 months ill end up with a 2004LS,2006GS,2002Cl500, or even a RL. Id like to get a GS just to stay in this forum. The LS Forum is so boring. Only 1 guy in there with mods.
Old 02-25-05, 09:52 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Good thread johngs4 When I drove by the dealer with my wife, both of us immediately did this or this . I wouldn't mind having the 2nd gen body with the 3rd gen interior Anyone have the $ or insanity to do this?
And you're right gamma, starting to see ALOT of GS popping up now with who-knows-what-crap has been added to their car. That's ok b/c they're the one driving it, not me so it doesn't bother me.
Old 02-25-05, 10:01 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We should start a thread called "GS Pics That Makes You Scared Straight" So whenever a person even thinks about ricing out a gs we point him/her to this thread with all riced out GS's and put fear into their lives.
Old 02-25-05, 11:20 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GammaLex
The reason I jumped ship is the price drop of the current 1998 GS300. There popping up around here. There not tastefully modded either. Ive seen them with 22" add on spinners and 2 tone paint that looks like crap. Gold and red, baby blue and black. Black wheels on Gold with no drop. I was driving downtown and the gold and red with 22" was following me like he was trying to show off. He had speakers under his car blasting treble. ITs pathetic what I see in my town. You can find a 1998 GS300 with over 100k miles for like $12,000.00. Its a shame seeing this basterdized GS's with no drop and big ugly truck wheels. Im going to start a collection of ugly GS pics. I like the new 3rd Gen but imo im not paying retail. For $50k theres alot of other cars worth looking at. within the next 6 months ill end up with a 2004LS,2006GS,2002Cl500, or even a RL. Id like to get a GS just to stay in this forum. The LS Forum is so boring. Only 1 guy in there with mods.

with all seriousness.....

look at where you are from. Honestly, I could never in my wildest imagination expect to see a tastefully modded japanese car (much less a lexus) in Louisiana. I expect to see primer red pickup trucks and tons of ford tauruses.

If you lived in a metro area, you'd see many more tastefully modded cars.

but honestly, look at your own car bro. You have set the standard for a tastefully modded luxury import, especially down south. You should feel great about that and roll your GS around town with your head proudly on your shoulders.

So big friggin deal, a ricer with a GS rolls up next to u on 22's and no drop. You should crack the window, give him a nice stare and laugh at him like the poser that he is. NOW THAT'S THE RESPECT THAT YOUR GS DESERVES!!

either way, best of luck with your decisions---your Q45 retro makes me drool, and I will miss it

Old 02-25-05, 12:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this the "Keeping the 2GS" support group?

I'm keeping mine too although I don't dislike the 3GS as much as I used to.
Old 02-25-05, 12:29 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I'm keeping mine too although I don't dislike the 3GS as much as I used to.
Exactly my sentiments!!
Old 02-25-05, 12:42 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i think ill be keeping my gs till the day it dies....and when it does come close to dying...ill be putting it on lifesupport until I find a new motor for it and make her brand new again

=D

2nd Gen GS FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

P.S.... I will buy another car to make my gs a garage queen in later years possibly...
Old 02-25-05, 01:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

My view...keep those aging cars alive. While some may see a cheapskate that they hold onto a car forever, I see it as a dedicated enthusiast who appreciates his ride and has made a commitment. It is the uniqueness factor too. As attrition occurs, it makes that aging car all the more appealing in my eyes. YMMV as they say.

This one is a fav of mine from down under:

With this stuffed into it:
Old 02-25-05, 01:17 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
i think ill be keeping my gs till the day it dies....and when it does come close to dying...ill be putting it on lifesupport until I find a new motor for it and make her brand new again

=D

P.S.... I will buy another car to make my gs a garage queen in later years possibly...
I will be doing pretty much the same thing! My sons will inherit it when I die!
Old 02-25-05, 01:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

OMG! This car is so hot!!!

Old 02-25-05, 01:19 PM
CLS2GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't stop keep selling. Will make the market for the GS a buyers market. GS300/430 is one of the cars on my list to consider when I buy a car at the end of this year.
Old 02-25-05, 03:04 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Cars Come And Go

The verdict is still out on the new GS in my book. Until I get a chance to visually check it out, I will withhold final judgement. MANY folks on this site who blasted the car when the first pictures came out are DROOLING now that the actual car is here. LEXUS very seldom releases a doggy car. Apparently they were right in their assessment of what would sell to the general public. WAY TO GO LEXUS.

It doesn't HAVE to have the biggest, or strongest engine to sell....IT IS A LEXUS, and thus, has reliablilty and style regardless. That is why I kept quiet when the pictures came out. The final product is what sells. Many others will buy new GS's, but is that really defecting? NOT when you buy another NEW LEXUS.

One thing is sure....I won't be parting with 50,000 bucks + for a new 2006 GS4 right now. I am still enamored with my 1999 GS4, and that suits me fine. As good as it is, the 06 will depreciate, and MY butt doesn't have to be the first one in the seat for me to be satisfied with owning it later on.

Because it IS a LEXUS, I am sure there are FEW, if ANY bugs in it, but I never buy a car the first year of production anyway. I understand perfectly why others would want to buy one. Maybe they have had their cars for a number of years,. and are ready for a change.

Hey, if you want it, and can afford it, GO FOR IT. Once I pass this car down to someone in the family, maybe I will be ready for a proven, slightly used 06 with a FEW break-in miles on it. It always happens...someone will be bored with it after a few years, and grab the next new thing out there. It is the AMERICAN way.....I can WAIT for the 06, or 07!

Just my $.02

Last edited by gserep1; 02-25-05 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 03:32 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PandaGS430

=D

AMEN!

I can't say how much I love the design of the 2nd Gen. Even if I get a 3rd Gen, this car is a keeper for me. 6 years after it is introcuded, and it still looks better than 97% of the cars today.
Old 02-25-05, 03:51 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

And I thought I was alone. Clearly I'm not. If I decide to get rid of my 98 GS4, it will be for a newer 2nd gen GS.

Quick Reply: Everyone Stop!!!!!!! (selling your 2nd gen gs)