GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

M3 hater

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-05, 03:01 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rheiy
I disagree. While the M3 is not the quickest car out there, it has some very respectable numbers.
To quote car and drive from a test in the May 03 issue, 0 to 60 in 4.8 and 1/4 mile 13.6. A gs without
FI is going to get beat unless the m3 driver dosen't know how to shift. btw, M5 numbers were 0 to 60 in 4.9 and 1/4 mile in 13.4

homeboy....you need to stop mag racing and take it to the streets...... like lexforlife says, mag racing is just that....its an ideal track with an ideal driver....
Old 02-26-05, 03:03 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
M3s? M5s? Maxima 3.5s? Tsk tsk....kids' stuff.....

Just kiddin'. I rode with an M3 once and we went head-to-head on the highway just to see what it's like. Before the boost kicks in, the M3 would have a big head launch ahead of me and it was kinda scary. Then the boost kicks in, and it's usually over pretty quickly after that.

We tried that a few more times and the result is usually the same. Not sure how that would work with a 430 though...

see...thats where you 6cyl ppl suck you need to wait until your boost kicks in b4 u hit any real power on the band......I got instant 300hp as soon as I mash my gas pedal....
Old 02-26-05, 06:45 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no way can a gs beat a m3, the gearing is way more aggressive, the bimmer is like a bat out of hell when u stomp on it, when i drive my bros car it feels totally different then a lex, no way can a NA lexus beat a m3,bottom line,
Old 02-26-05, 09:09 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
see...thats where you 6cyl ppl suck you need to wait until your boost kicks in b4 u hit any real power on the band......I got instant 300hp as soon as I mash my gas pedal....
haha... but its funny cuz even if we do have 300 hp right at the start.. they still over run us...

nothing beats boost...
Old 02-26-05, 11:39 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see that the facts rose to the top here. Even a GS4 with torque converter and 3.76 gearing shouldn't be beating the newer 330hp M3. The M3 is, as many have said already, in a different class. Better gearing, more HP, and lighter weight.

Someone mentioned the torque of our V8, well, it's a TINY V8 bro, and our cars are kinda portly.

Now, the slightly older, smaller 240hp 1995 era M3, now, ....there you're talking a potential race!!! (I think my TC'd car is a bit faster than my friends 95 M3)

Oh, and I have video of my other friend absolutely L E A V I N G me in his stock 330hp from 60 - 110mph. (i have stock gearing, and my car runs 14.17 at the track)

Perhaps the previous M3 is what LexforLife is racing??

Last edited by BA_GS400; 02-26-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 09:10 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
I'm glad to see that the facts rose to the top here. Even a GS4 with torque converter and 3.76 gearing shouldn't be beating the newer 330hp M3. The M3 is, as many have said already, in a different class. Better gearing, more HP, and lighter weight.

Someone mentioned the torque of our V8, well, it's a TINY V8 bro, and our cars are kinda portly.

Now, the slightly older, smaller 240hp 1995 era M3, now, ....there you're talking a potential race!!! (I think my TC'd car is a bit faster than my friends 95 M3)

Oh, and I have video of my other friend absolutely L E A V I N G me in his stock 330hp from 60 - 110mph. (i have stock gearing, and my car runs 14.17 at the track)

Perhaps the previous M3 is what LexforLife is racing??

i'm sorry i was mistaken , it was a yugo not a m3

NOT, some of guys crack me up , not2shabby has made a very clear point of which i live by, the potential of a car represented in a mag or writeup is always done with a professional driver on a professional track... given the same scenerio if a gs was to match up with a m3 the gs would not have a chance a(maybe) but on the open roads the are many other variables such as who launched first , maybe the m3 misshifted etc etc , traffic , a drivers feel for the road and willingness to push the envelope( thats me , ask any of my south fla brethren)...with those variables in mind the few m's that i have come upon did not have the skills to match the m3 capabilities and with the hp and trq nums close why is it so hard to conceive a victory

remember in to fast to furious vin diesel said "it does not matter if you win by a inch or mile , winning is winning" so to recap if the other driver has no clue how to run well pooh on him the car he just got OWNED
Old 02-27-05, 10:01 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i'm sorry i was mistaken , it was a yugo not a m3

NOT, some of guys crack me up , not2shabby has made a very clear point of which i live by, the potential of a car represented in a mag or writeup is always done with a professional driver on a professional track... given the same scenerio if a gs was to match up with a m3 the gs would not have a chance a(maybe) but on the open roads the are many other variables such as who launched first , maybe the m3 misshifted etc etc , traffic , a drivers feel for the road and willingness to push the envelope( thats me , ask any of my south fla brethren)...with those variables in mind the few m's that i have come upon did not have the skills to match the m3 capabilities and with the hp and trq nums close why is it so hard to conceive a victory

remember in to fast to furious vin diesel said "it does not matter if you win by a inch or mile , winning is winning" so to recap if the other driver has no clue how to run well pooh on him the car he just got OWNED
this is definitely true.. i completely agree with you on this... there are many variables going into a race when you're on the streets... independent driver skill is a key factor in winning a race... even if the matchup seems obvious...

but you're missing the point... we're not talking about indepedent driver skill... we're not talking about how far the driver is willing to push the envelope... we're talking about car capability and power... if we matchup the GS with the new M3, the GS has no chance... not even with TC and LSD... the M3 has many more advantages against the GS...

if we were talking about individual racing ability to driver against driver... then we bring in how well the driver shifted or how far the driver was willing to push the car... but that simply is not the point to this thread... this thread is about how to make a GS push against a M3.....
Old 02-27-05, 11:08 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
this is definitely true.. i completely agree with you on this... there are many variables going into a race when you're on the streets... independent driver skill is a key factor in winning a race... even if the matchup seems obvious...

but you're missing the point... we're not talking about indepedent driver skill... we're not talking about how far the driver is willing to push the envelope... we're talking about car capability and power... if we matchup the GS with the new M3, the GS has no chance... not even with TC and LSD... the M3 has many more advantages against the GS...

if we were talking about individual racing ability to driver against driver... then we bring in how well the driver shifted or how far the driver was willing to push the car... but that simply is not the point to this thread... this thread is about how to make a GS push against a M3.....
Brian:
Great point. The ony thing I want to add here is that given drivers of equal skill and determination to push the envelope, the M3 will still come out on top. Some CL members who drive GS4's may not like to hear it, but the M3 is the better machine when compared to a non FI GS
Old 02-27-05, 11:34 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rheiy
Brian:
Great point. The ony thing I want to add here is that given drivers of equal skill and determination to push the envelope, the M3 will still come out on top. Some CL members who drive GS4's may not like to hear it, but the M3 is the better machine when compared to a non FI GS
exactly... but we all know what happens once the forced induction is placed into a GS... we've got ourselves a whole new machine...
Old 02-27-05, 12:28 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I was under the impression (mistakenly?) that the race was on a roll, not a dead stop. On a roll, a GS430 with TC and LSD would take it. On a roll, where torque plays a big factor, the GS430 has the advantage by 50TQ or so...M3 only has 262TQ. And with LSD and TC + big torque...I think the GS will beat it...
Old 02-27-05, 12:49 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RRocket
I was under the impression (mistakenly?) that the race was on a roll, not a dead stop. On a roll, a GS430 with TC and LSD would take it. On a roll, where torque plays a big factor, the GS430 has the advantage by 50TQ or so...M3 only has 262TQ. And with LSD and TC + big torque...I think the GS will beat it...
hmm... that might give the GS a slight advantage... but i dont think that much of an advantage... it'll be a very close race... but i still think the M3 will come out on top... its a much smaller car with only 50 lbs less torque and it has higher HP numbers and a higher speed limit capability... but i'm not quite sure... that would be really fun...
Old 02-27-05, 01:32 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

if the bimmer is slower then what the book claims, then wouldnt a gs be slower the the book claims, as well? bring the 2 cars to the track and post the time slips and that will be end of dicussion.. NOOO way can a luxury sedan beat a sports car. a hell of a sports car at that. if you can beat a newer m3 in a gs than u can pretty much beat a VETTE.
Old 02-27-05, 01:42 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

IMHO...

The M3 only has 30 more horses... with 40lbs less torque... Compared to a bone stock GS400. Give the GS the SRT intake (if performs as advertised), TC, LSD, Lightweight 17 inch wheels and a small weight diet and I can't believe so many people question the close possibiblity of this race. The M3 comes in at 3400lbs, not really a lightweight by any means but 300lbs lighter than the GS. It's only + (and it is a big one) is the manual tranny but is only a + if the driver knows how to drive the M3. I would bet that any modded GS on this board similar to what I mentioned above could keep a stock 05 M3 at bay on the street with just the hit and bieng in the right gear whether the M3 has a good driver or not...

and we are talking about GS400's that are 5 years or more older than the M3.

Disclaimer

As long as the M3 has 2 buddies in it or 1 300lb guy.

Just Kidding, of course in street racing these kind of factors are very typical.
Old 02-27-05, 02:04 PM
JsN
Driver

Originally Posted by RRocket
Like i said before on a roll it would be the same aftermath. Also with my TC i didnt feel like i gained much on highway speeds but i felt i gained alot of speed on from stop to go(launch). If i remember correctly there was a gs member on this board who posted a video of his gs going at a m3 from a roll on a highway and got beat pretty bad.
Old 02-27-05, 03:12 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JsN
Like i said before on a roll it would be the same aftermath. Also with my TC i didnt feel like i gained much on highway speeds but i felt i gained alot of speed on from stop to go(launch). If i remember correctly there was a gs member on this board who posted a video of his gs going at a m3 from a roll on a highway and got beat pretty bad.
I don't think anyone here is trying to make a case that a M3 under no circumstances can beat a GS4xx, but to think all M3's can smoke all GS4's is just crazy... (regardless of 1 man's video)

Here in the south, "smoking" someone usually means buslengths-cornfields. From a 2nd or 3rd gear roll a stock M3 is not going to put this distance on a GS using E-Shift sitting in gear... Hell, my buddies 05 E55 AMG put that kind of distance on me on the interstate and I know damn well no M3 is going to do better than that.

Nothing against the new M3's, but they are not that much faster "real world" than my 98 GS.

Quick Reply: M3 hater