GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

M3 hater

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 09:23 AM
Motu1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I would be reluctant to do a engine swap. I'm not that desperate to put the smackdown on a M3 lol

Definately alot of good information in this thread so thanks for everyones input

Called Vortech and they told me Prolex performance has an application using their supercharger so I will give them a call and see what it's all about.

regarding NOS how hard is it on an engine? Are there drawbacks? I'm not gonna be spraying it left and right. Just when I get the cocky M3 on my bumper.
Old 02-28-05, 09:29 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Motu1
Yeah I would be reluctant to do a engine swap. I'm not that desperate to put the smackdown on a M3 lol

Definately alot of good information in this thread so thanks for everyones input

Called Vortech and they told me Prolex performance has an application using their supercharger so I will give them a call and see what it's all about.

regarding NOS how hard is it on an engine? Are there drawbacks? I'm not gonna be spraying it left and right. Just when I get the cocky M3 on my bumper.
NOS is only hard on an engine if you run too large of a shot or if it is installed improperly and not tuned. Any good shop should be able to set you up with a tuned install and as long as it is used sparringly and properly there should be little downside... Caution, most people say once they get it, they can't stop spraying... LOL

Let us know what Prolex has to say.
Old 02-28-05, 09:50 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ProLex has an SC for the IS300/GS300 (no GS4x0) using the Vortech. I am not sure how the unit is doing in terms of market penetration though. ProLex has been relatively quiet recently with the Lexus market.

Mike (ProLex owner) still peeks into CL periodically. He has been more focused on his LS recently though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144716
Old 02-28-05, 02:42 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Lately I've been getting frustrated because every new M3 comes up and wants to go. I'm sure it doesn't help the my 430 has the looks. The car has all the L-tuned options(came with the car got it at auction killer deal would probably make most cry) and I installed an Injen cold air intake(OMG was the stock airbox a pain in the azz!) What's it gonna take to give these bimmers a run for the money?
How about just looking the other way everytime some idiot in an M3 wants to go at it?

I know you said it in a later post that it's not that important for you to beat an M3 but is it worth losing your car, life, or hurting someone so you can say "you had an M3 for lunch"?

This thread started with a legit question but has turned into who can beat who conversation we all had in junior high school. Arnold vs Sly, Storm Shadow vs Snake Eyes., blah, blah, blah..

BTW, car magazines sometimes take the average of couple of runs to 60 and then adjust the results for elevation and such..depending on where cars are tested. I remember reading that in one of the major mags.

Ed
Old 02-28-05, 03:06 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

FWIW, I was at the drag stip this summer and there were a couple of M3's there. Not sure what all they had but appeared mostly stock with rims and strut bars. Anyways the best I saw one of them run was a 13.3

I was running my car (K&N, 20" rims at the time) and was running 14.4's. On the stock 17's I might have been able to sneak out a 14.3 or so. That's still a second behind though and i'm not sure a TC and LSD are going to be enough to get you there.
Old 02-28-05, 04:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok got off the phone this morning with a guy named Phil at SFP(South Florida Performance). He said my best bet would be to do a engine swap with a Supra engine, 400hp at the wheels easy. He said it would cost around 8-10k with everything. Engine, tranny/6 speed AEM computer pretty much everything I could ask. He said the engines come from Japan with about 30k miles. They do all the tuning. That would be kind of nutts having a a 6 speed GS430. He told me I would be better off spending my money on an engine with more hp capability.

Anyway I thought that was interesting. I asked him what about my old engine he said ebay LOL
that sounds like a plan with all those mods i think you will have a very fun time with the m3
Old 02-28-05, 04:58 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fortunately I drive like a grandma, and don't care if an M3 rolls up on me or not...besides, my car is weighed down by my daughtes carseat, so I'd likely lose
Old 02-28-05, 05:24 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC300Es
How about just looking the other way everytime some idiot in an M3 wants to go at it?

I know you said it in a later post that it's not that important for you to beat an M3 but is it worth losing your car, life, or hurting someone so you can say "you had an M3 for lunch"?

This thread started with a legit question but has turned into who can beat who conversation we all had in junior high school. Arnold vs Sly, Storm Shadow vs Snake Eyes., blah, blah, blah..

BTW, car magazines sometimes take the average of couple of runs to 60 and then adjust the results for elevation and such..depending on where cars are tested. I remember reading that in one of the major mags.

Ed
He started it...

LOL

The M3 that is, they all want a go at Motu1.

Old 02-28-05, 07:54 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

m3 hater? I love m3s....one of my friends own a silver e46....and damn that car makes me drop my jaw ....before i got the car....it was either gs or m3
Old 02-28-05, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
m3 hater? I love m3s....one of my friends own a silver e46....and damn that car makes me drop my jaw ....before i got the car....it was either gs or m3
wow, gs3 and m3? isn't that a BIG difference in both the cars and the prices?
Old 03-01-05, 02:15 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes it is....but the main reason why I choose the GS3 over the m3 is because of reliability...I have some funds but I dont want to spend my money on fixing stuff....soo far I havent had any major problems yet which is great "knock on wood"...and plus if I got the m3....I would be very poor heck i am very poor already .....and guarantee with the m3.....I would be spending my money on insurance instead of mods....my friend here in hawaii has a m3 and he is paying loads of money for insurance ....and so that gave me a good idea since we are the same age..
Old 03-01-05, 06:05 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
+1

When I bought my GS I was in the market for a 4 door vehicle, no 2 doors allowed.

4 door performance for the dollar was what I was interested in with reliablility and I wanted to buy used.

WRX
EVO
GS400
(SRT4, TOO CHEAP to consider)

Did I miss any 4 door sport performer under $20K?
Old 03-01-05, 06:28 AM
Motu1
Driver

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
+1

When I bought my GS I was in the market for a 4 door vehicle, no 2 doors allowed.

4 door performance for the dollar was what I was interested in with reliablility and I wanted to buy used.

WRX
EVO
GS400
(SRT4, TOO CHEAP to consider)

Did I miss any 4 door sport performer under $20K?
This was my train of thought too. I was looking for a reliable 4 door with some POP! The WRX and EVO just seemed to boxy for my taste and I was also looking at resale value down the line.
Old 03-01-05, 07:27 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

This was my train of thought too. I was looking for a reliable 4 door with some POP! The WRX and EVO just seemed to boxy for my taste and I was also looking at resale value down the line.
Yeah, and at 34 the EVO and WRX just didn't seem right... I mean which car could you see yourself rolling up to your 20 year high school reunion in? That, and with my 3 year daughter riding in the back which one is safer. The GS is the first car I have ever owned where I get an insurance discount because of it's safety rating. It was hard not to pony up less cash for a used WRX and then start modding it into a 12 sec car, but my wife snapped me back to reality.

That and she can't drive stick.
Old 03-01-05, 08:10 AM
DickLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
yes it is....but the main reason why I choose the GS3 over the m3 is because of reliability...I have some funds but I dont want to spend my money on fixing stuff....soo far I havent had any major problems yet which is great "knock on wood"...and plus if I got the m3....I would be very poor heck i am very poor already .....and guarantee with the m3.....I would be spending my money on insurance instead of mods....my friend here in hawaii has a m3 and he is paying loads of money for insurance ....and so that gave me a good idea since we are the same age..
Good point. I was thinking of a BMW 540 but after research decided I did not want risk the repair bills. Nothing but horror stories about that engine after 100k. If all things were equal I probably would go with the 540.

Quick Reply: M3 hater