GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

M3 hater

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 08:12 AM
Motu1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. Man you guys should see my wife evertime a box comes to the house that might be a performance part. She got wise quick back when I had my 97 Eclipse GS-T. I had it tricked with performance parts. Sold it and got a 01 Pathfinder SE which she now drives since we have a 8 month old. We sold her Eclipse RS and I got my GS 430. As soon as my Injen cold air intake came she goes "here we go again" LMAO

What made it funnier was a few months later I ordered a new case for a computer I was building. It said "Turbo Aero Cool" on the box and as soon as FedEx dropped it off she call my cell and asked why I bought more car performance parts OMG LMAO I said honey read the box out loud. She does and realizes it's for a home computer and then proceeds to get of the phone

Back on topic check out this article over at http://www.lextreme.com/supra.html

Interesting read and predition this guy is making with the new Supra and Toyota possibly using the 3UZFE. If they did use that engine it might open doors for GS 430 guys.

Last edited by Motu1; 03-01-05 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-01-05, 09:16 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DickLexus
Good point. I was thinking of a BMW 540 but after research decided I did not want risk the repair bills. Nothing but horror stories about that engine after 100k. If all things were equal I probably would go with the 540.
My father in law has a 97 540i and has had nothing but problems with it. We just swapped out the radiator last month. The plastic where one of the hoses connects was cracked. Just one of many problems he has had, the week before that I had to replace one of his door regulators... and it does not perform as well as my GS. He loves driving my car and say's it is definately stronger than his and he has the same mileage I have. I have driven it and it is just not as effortless of a perfromer... and it feels smaller inside.
Old 03-01-05, 09:20 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motu1
Same here. Man you guys should see my wife evertime a box comes to the house that might be a performance part. She got wise quick back when I had my 97 Eclipse GS-T. I had it tricked with performance parts. Sold it and got a 01 Pathfinder SE which she now drives since we have a 8 month old. We sold her Eclipse RS and I got my GS 430. As soon as my Injen cold air intake came she goes "here we go again" LMAO

What made it funnier was a few months later I ordered a new case for a computer I was building. It said "Turbo Aero Cool" on the box and as soon as FedEx dropped it off she call my cell and asked why I bought more car performance parts OMG LMAO I said honey read the box out loud. She does and realizes it's for a home computer and then proceeds to get of the phone

Back on topic check out this article over at http://www.lextreme.com/supra.html

Interesting read and predition this guy is making with the new Supra and Toyota possibly using the 3UZFE. If they did use that engine it might open doors for GS 430 guys.
I had a 95 GS-T (Mildly Modded)... Great minds think alike... and if you ordered a Turbo Aero Cool, look what I built my brother...

-yes, that is a cup holder and a lighter in there.
Old 03-01-05, 10:13 AM
Motu1
Driver

and I thought I was a serious gamer LMFAO!!! Cup holder & Cig lighter now that's sweet

Anyone hear if Blitz was continuing on the 3UZFE super charger project?
Old 03-01-05, 10:15 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

When I was deciding what to get, I had it narrowed down to a 2000 Audi S4 and my GS400. Both were bright colors (the audi was yellow). With my past cars (93 Mustang Cobra, 91 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo, and 97 Eagle Talon TSI AWD), I figured I should stay away from the Audi as I was trying to keep from modifying too much. Funny how I overlooked the fact that they make parts for the GS too!

My girlfriend doens't know much about cars which means that when parts show up at the door, they are almost always for "repairs and tune ups"
Old 03-01-05, 10:19 AM
Motu1
Driver

Hah wait til you get married they smarten up 10 fold! Man I remeber the Dodge Stealth Turbos, they were sweet. I rember the day my buddy got a pearl white with all the options and it was fast
Old 03-01-05, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
yes it is....but the main reason why I choose the GS3 over the m3 is because of reliability...I have some funds but I dont want to spend my money on fixing stuff....soo far I havent had any major problems yet which is great "knock on wood"...and plus if I got the m3....I would be very poor heck i am very poor already .....and guarantee with the m3.....I would be spending my money on insurance instead of mods....my friend here in hawaii has a m3 and he is paying loads of money for insurance ....and so that gave me a good idea since we are the same age..
still very interesting thoughts. i guess if you had gone with the m3 you would still be with the stock car by now
Old 03-01-05, 10:37 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
Yeah, and at 34 the EVO and WRX just didn't seem right... I mean which car could you see yourself rolling up to your 20 year high school reunion in? That, and with my 3 year daughter riding in the back which one is safer. The GS is the first car I have ever owned where I get an insurance discount because of it's safety rating. It was hard not to pony up less cash for a used WRX and then start modding it into a 12 sec car, but my wife snapped me back to reality.

That and she can't drive stick.

very good suggestion about turning head away from a m3 driver.
and yes a gs projects the owner as dedicated, sophisticated, and metropolitan.

10k for an engine swap is not worth to have m3 for lunch indeed. for that kind of money i can buy many birthday cakes from albertsons and glaze m3 on top of them and eat them all day long.

now somebody nos the gs already... this thread is not scratching the power itch enough! (except for pearlgs's kill stories)
Old 03-01-05, 10:44 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

I think all the BMW's look the same and I enjoy the unique stylings of the GS.
Old 03-01-05, 03:30 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motu1
Hah wait til you get married they smarten up 10 fold! Man I remeber the Dodge Stealth Turbos, they were sweet. I rember the day my buddy got a pearl white with all the options and it was fast

Noooo!! That's not what I wanted to hear. Actually we're getting close to crossing that bridge and her only condition is that I can't get a project car until she gets the ring. My plan is to get a cheap SC300 5-spd to go all out on and keep the mods to the GS at a minimum. Reliability wise i'm not sure how fast you could make the 400 before you start running into issues, but for kind of numbers i'm going to be looking for, having a second car is just going to make more sense.

Yeah the Stealth was a fun car until I blew the tranny up at the strip and found out they don't make replacement parts or racing parts for them anymore. Those cars are known for weak trannys and of course Dodge only sells new ones and they are $6000
Old 03-01-05, 06:16 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Don't hate the playa...hate the game...

The ONLY way an E46 M3 can be beat is with Forced Induction. By that time, you will have spent enough money and heartache let alone TIME to get it right.

Ask rominl about his project experience.

Advice to Motu1: You want to beat an M3, buy another car...don't waste your time or money doing the Supra swap or a SC because neither one will give you the reliability you need as a daily driver...The GS 400 or 430 is a nice, fast, somewhat sporty, luxury sedan...that's all it will ever be...

An intake won't give you squat without tuning the ECU. There is no ECU tuning available for the GS...and piggyback ECU's on the market today are a ripoff and don't work...

Exhaust won't get you more than 5-7 HP max. That's it...Now, maybe a lightweight crank pulley may do something and a TC but it won't get you anywhere near the performance you need to beat an M3.

Those who beat an M3 driver with their NA GS got luck and raced a driver that: 1) Can't drive worth a spit, or 2) Drives like a granny....No ifs, ands, or buts about it...so if you feel glad that you "smoked" an M3 with your "souped" up GS then good for you. I am sure there are tons of Civics out there that claimed they "smoked" a GS driven by an 80-year old.

Rominl: You took my TC...I wanted it for myself...

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 03-01-05 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 06:26 PM
LexFather

M3 info
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
2001 BMW M3
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door sedan
Price as tested: $53,309 (base price: $47,407)
Engine type: DOHC 24-valve 6-in-line, iron block and aluminum head, Siemens MSS 54 engine-control system with port fuel injection
Displacement: 198 cu in, 3246cc
Power (SAE net): 333 bhp @ 7900 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 262 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 176.8 in
Curb weight: 3523 lb
Performance (new / 40,000):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec / 4.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.2 sec / 12.0 sec
Zero to 130 mph 20.1 sec / 21.2 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph 5.2 sec / 5.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 13.1 sec / 13.4 sec
@ 107 mph @ 105 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph 161 ft / 156 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.87 g / 0.88 g
Top speed (governor limited) 163 mph / 163 mph
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 16 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 23 mpg
Unscheduled oil additions: 14 qt
Service and repair stops:
Scheduled: 3
Unscheduled: 2
Operating costs (for 40,000 miles):
Service: $163
Normal wear: $0
Repair: $126
Gasoline: (@ $1.44 per gallon) $2519
Life expectancies (extrapolated from 40,000-mile test):
Tires: 38,000 miles
Front brake pads: 65,000 miles

So 0-60 in 4.8 and a 1/4 mile in 13.1. So your going to need AT LEAST 100hp to a GS 430 to come close to matching this, with not much of a weight increase. On top of that the M3s handling is called almost perfect worldwide.

I think we've been down this road before (Henry, BLiu lol) and even if we had a GS with specs close to match the M3, we would need to track both together to see if it was worth it.
Old 03-01-05, 06:33 PM
LexFather

Underhood is an all-new S54 inline-six, unlike that in any other BMW. The M3 has an iron block, so its displacement could be stretched to 3246cc and it could withstand 333 hp with a limit of 8000 rpm. A new alloy cylinder head includes variable valve timing on intake and exhaust cams and a dedicated high-pressure oil pump to make the timing adjustments more responsive. Finally, in the M tradition of "engineering finery," the new combustion chambers and intake ports are completely machined and each intake has its own throttle control.

Under all this is a broader, more stable footprint. Exclusive to the M3 front suspension are forged-aluminum lower arms, a 3.4-in.- wider track, with 12.8-in.-diameter discs. The rear track has increased by 1.8 in. and includes 12.6-in. discs. Springs and damping remain a black art brilliantly accomplished by the M team and are responsible for a compliant, occupant-friendly near-race car for the road.--Larry Crane
BMW M3 SMG II

Price $55,695
0-60 mph 4.9 sec.
0-1/4 mile 13.5 sec.

Skidpad 0.89g
Slalom 68.8 mph
Braking, 80-0 mph 213 ft.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=6

(I wanted to get SMG numbers as well)

Last edited by LexFather; 03-01-05 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 07:16 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

I don't care what you guys say, I put a car and a half on Clive Owen yesterday 80-120 on I75 with just L-Tuned exhaust.

Old 03-01-05, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I don't care what you guys say, I put a car and a half on Clive Owen yesterday 80-120 on I75 with just L-Tuned exhaust.

LMAO at Clive Owen comment....(I love those vids).
It was a newer M3 right, a E46? I raced E36s and stayed with no problem. Sorry mahn but maybe his engine was messed up or he could not drive as a E46 M3 will hand our butts every time unless you have F/I (acceleration wise).

Quick Reply: M3 hater