GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

M3 hater

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 09:35 AM
Motu1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 hater

Hey guys Motu1 here. New to the boards although I signed a months back LOL

I live in Jacksonville FL and have a 2001 GS 430 L-tuned.

Alot of great info here been trying my hardest to comb through it.

Lately I've been getting frustrated because every new M3 comes up and wants to go. I'm sure it doesn't help the my 430 has the looks. The car has all the L-tuned options(came with the car got it at auction killer deal would probably make most cry) and I installed an Injen cold air intake(OMG was the stock airbox a pain in the azz!) What's it gonna take to give these bimmers a run for the money?

Come middle March going to 19's I will post pics as soon as I slap the new shoes on

Any info to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated
Old 02-25-05, 09:53 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motu1
Hey guys Motu1 here. New to the boards although I signed a months back LOL

I live in Jacksonville FL and have a 2001 GS 430 L-tuned.

Alot of great info here been trying my hardest to comb through it.

Lately I've been getting frustrated because every new M3 comes up and wants to go. I'm sure it doesn't help the my 430 has the looks. The car has all the L-tuned options(came with the car got it at auction killer deal would probably make most cry) and I installed an Injen cold air intake(OMG was the stock airbox a pain in the azz!) What's it gonna take to give these bimmers a run for the money?

Come middle March going to 19's I will post pics as soon as I slap the new shoes on

Any info to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated
M3's are quick. I would imagine FI, TC and lsd will get you close. Or u can get a c6 vette
and smoke it for sure
Old 02-25-05, 10:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I think you need to talk to Pearlpower. I love his kill stories He makes bmw owners have this on their face , hence his plate BMWHUNTR . I have no knowledge of engine performance but some members here do the lsd, tc, and more serious guys do the all out supercharger/turbo . You might face the check engine light problem because of the 430 instead of the 400 . You can search around and read on until someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Here's one vs. an m3:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137647

Whatever you decide to do, please be safe and welcome to CL
Old 02-25-05, 10:18 AM
Motu1
Driver

ok bare with my n00bness lol

FI - I assume is forced induction

LSD?

TC - traction control?

help me out fellas lol

Super charger is not out of the question. Are the SC kits TRD makes compatible with Lexus? Or are there kits for the 430 by like Vortech?
Old 02-25-05, 10:25 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

LSD?

TC - traction control?

help me out fellas lol

Super charger is not out of the question. Are the SC kits TRD makes compatible with Lexus? Or are there kits for the 430 by like Vortech?

LSD - Limited Slip Differential (sp?) helps you to put your 300 horses down to ground better,
especially out of corners.

TC - Torque Converter, switch the OEM out for a tighter one, think of it as making our slushbox less slushy

Good luck on your Bimmer hunt!!
Old 02-25-05, 10:26 AM
psukhu
Rookie

What's it gonna take to give these bimmers a run for the money?
For starters, a manual transmission.
Old 02-25-05, 10:29 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

LSD?

TC - traction control?

help me out fellas lol

FI is indeed forced induction (supercharger or turbo or twin turbo )

LSD is the Limited Slip Differentials (made by TRD, RMM, supra 3.76 LSD) basically helps put both rear wheels into action off the line...

TC is the Torque Converter (Precision Industries Torque Converter) the PI TC basically helps get the GS off the line like a stick car... the PI TC and LSD combination will really help your GS move...

the supercharger that TRD makes are compatible with Lexus but i believe only with the GS300 and IS300... supercharger for the 400 or 430 would include the RMM Supercharger and the SRT supercharger... both of the superchargers are now discontinued so they are difficult to find... a couple of members were selling their superchargers for the 400's on CL... although the superchargers were originally built for the GS400, with some custom work.. they can be placed into a 430...

and then there is twin turbo...
Old 02-25-05, 10:31 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by psukhu
For starters, a manual transmission.
too bad it doesnt come with the GS... wish it would... but i believe he's asking what he can do to his GS to give the M3's a run for their money... i dont think he wants to buy a whole new car just so that he can surprise the little buggers...
Old 02-25-05, 10:38 AM
Motu1
Driver

So what do the LSD and TC mods run as far as $'s?

There's actually a twin turbo kit for the 430?

Thanks guys for all your replies
Old 02-25-05, 10:40 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

So what do the LSD and TC mods run as far as $'s?

There's actually a twin turbo kit for the 430?

Thanks guys for all your replies
the LSD and TC run anywhere from 800 to 1200 (i think it depends what brand but all are around a good 1000) check www.l-tunedparts.com (you can find the TRD LSD and the dragon TC there)

there is the twin turbo at SRT... again.. its normally built for the 400 (i think) but it can be placed into a 430....
Old 02-25-05, 10:50 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the bimmer m3 is not all that fast , afterall stock its only 333 hp but it is a well balanced well behaved machine.. i have run with many with my extensive susp mods and they cant keep up.. they have extreme top end but low end grunt suffers.. the bigger displacment v8 will get you there quicker but the m3 can reach higher speeds
Old 02-25-05, 11:08 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexforlife
the bimmer m3 is not all that fast , afterall stock its only 333 hp but it is a well balanced well behaved machine.. i have run with many with my extensive susp mods and they cant keep up.. they have extreme top end but low end grunt suffers.. the bigger displacment v8 will get you there quicker but the m3 can reach higher speeds

word up.....M3's aint jack...I used to eat E46 m3's for lunch with my maxima 3.5 and the newer M3's would be an equal.....

now I try to run with the M5's on the highway....I wouldn't even waste my time with an M3 (now)
Old 02-25-05, 11:58 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree..M3s aren't THAT fast, With a LSD and TC it's not even a race.....I wouldn't even bother with FI if you just want to smack around a few M3s...
Old 02-25-05, 01:13 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

i dont entirely agree... the M3 is not the fastest car...but it is well ahead of the GS (V8) in a run... you say its only 333 hp but thats more from the V6 than from the lexus V8... plus we're talking about two entirely different cars... ones a coupe while the other is a sedan... one was built for speed and power... the other was built to be luxurious yet a little sporty...

the M3 is not amazingly fast.. but it is a very fast car... even with PI TC and LSD in a GS, the M3 (im basing this on a 6 speed manual tranny)... will probably run faster than the GS... the GS wil definitely surprise the M3 and give it a run for its money..... but i highly doubt the GS will outrun an M3... lets not even go onto the M5's... 400 HP is not to be messed around with... i ran with a M5 and an E55, the E55 outran the M5 no problem but the M5 out ran me no problem... of course i didn have TC and LSD but nevertheless, i think the M5 would have beaten me anyway...

if you wanna truly spank a M3 and go hunting for bimmers.. then i would say get the PI TC and LSD and go FI...
Old 02-25-05, 02:34 PM
JsN
Driver

Originally Posted by RRocket
I agree..M3s aren't THAT fast, With a LSD and TC it's not even a race.....I wouldn't even bother with FI if you just want to smack around a few M3s...
Obviously you under estimate the M3. Theres no way a GS4 will out run a m3 with just a LSD and TC.I had TC, LSD, borla exhaust and SRT intake w/race ecu. I had my friend drive my GS and every time from stop my M will out run it by a few cars and on highway the M will pull even more.

Last edited by JsN; 02-25-05 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: M3 hater