GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bumper got damaged today

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 04:05 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Bumper got damaged today

man, i guess the curse has finally got me. it's not as bad as the others here who had their GS's totalled, but still, i'm pretty upset. i was driving into work today on the freeway and all of a sudden, i see a ball, yes, a BALL, bounce and hit my front bumper. why the hell would there be a ball bouncing around on the freeway at all? i'm thinking, maybe it'll be okay, since it looked like a tennis ball, but now after seeing my bumper, i think it was more like a baseball. my front bumper near the bottom next to the driver side fog light got hit around the size of a tennis ball. the paint is totally cracked and chipped there and the bumper is flattened a bit there. now i don't know whether to let insurance take care of this or handle this on my own. (i hate deductables)

Old 02-25-05, 05:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
man, i guess the curse has finally got me. it's not as bad as the others here who had their GS's totalled, but still, i'm pretty upset. i was driving into work today on the freeway and all of a sudden, i see a ball, yes, a BALL, bounce and hit my front bumper. why the hell would there be a ball bouncing around on the freeway at all? i'm thinking, maybe it'll be okay, since it looked like a tennis ball, but now after seeing my bumper, i think it was more like a baseball. my front bumper near the bottom next to the driver side fog light got hit around the size of a tennis ball. the paint is totally cracked and chipped there and the bumper is flattened a bit there. now i don't know whether to let insurance take care of this or handle this on my own. (i hate deductables)

damn that sux... what kind of bumper do you have, stock or aftermarket? urethene or fiber glass? from your description it sounds like there is no crack on the bumper. if so i guess it's just some patching and repaint, it's not going to cost more than 500 i say, so probalby not a good idea to go through insurnace
Old 02-25-05, 05:40 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks. If the bumper isnt cracked then I would leave insurance out of it. You will probably just have to have the bumper repainted and maybe a little touch up if it is flattened out like you say. Hope it turns out as good as new
Old 02-25-05, 05:55 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

I scraped my TTE lip too so don't be too down. I was turning into a gas stattion and they had a huge dip to allow water to recede or something of that nature.
Old 02-25-05, 07:07 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks man, good luck on the fix.
I had a weird one this week. I heard a noise like I was nunning over pebbles and they were getting tossed up at the front wheel wells(my Goodyear GSD3s do that). But it kept making noise for too long so I stopped to check.
I had run over a piece of clear packing tape about a foot long. About 3 inches of it was stuck on the outside edge of tire and the rest of it was collecting debris as it was also beating the side of my car with every rotation of the wheel There were scuff marks & sticky stuff from the tape on my fender but lucky for me it buffed out .
Old 02-25-05, 08:12 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys, it's great to have buddies like fellow CL'ers that know how much it hurts when our cars get damaged. we all love our cars and they mean a lot to us.

mine is a stock bumper. i took another look and it doesn't seem like my bumper is cracked. but yeah, it is definitely flattened and there is a nipple there now. the paint there is gone. gonna get it checked out this weekend at the local body shops.

any recommendations for bodyshops in orange county area?
Old 02-28-05, 01:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
thanks guys, it's great to have buddies like fellow CL'ers that know how much it hurts when our cars get damaged. we all love our cars and they mean a lot to us.

mine is a stock bumper. i took another look and it doesn't seem like my bumper is cracked. but yeah, it is definitely flattened and there is a nipple there now. the paint there is gone. gonna get it checked out this weekend at the local body shops.

any recommendations for bodyshops in orange county area?
not sure about body shops, but sounds like it could be fixed pretty well for sure. a good shop will be able to smooth out the flattened area and repaint and blend everything
Old 02-28-05, 04:34 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, going through the same process myself. Don't think it will be worth it to file a claim, the bumper is only 349.00 and then a few hundered to mount/prime/paint. I should have an estimate tommorow, I'll let you know how much progressive pays.
Old 03-01-05, 06:50 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gawd
I feel your pain, going through the same process myself. Don't think it will be worth it to file a claim, the bumper is only 349.00 and then a few hundered to mount/prime/paint. I should have an estimate tommorow, I'll let you know how much progressive pays.
new bumper? for cracked paint? you gotta be kidding me. Just have a body shop repair it, don't get a new bumper
Old 03-01-05, 08:57 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikeyboy
new bumper? for cracked paint? you gotta be kidding me. Just have a body shop repair it, don't get a new bumper
I don't know that they can repair a dented or cracked poly bumper to the point you can't tell it was fixed, can they?
Old 03-01-05, 10:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chuckb
I don't know that they can repair a dented or cracked poly bumper to the point you can't tell it was fixed, can they?
well by comparison to a fg bumper it will cost more (mostly labor i say) to fix a poly bumper. so depending on the amount of work sometimes it might be better off just to get a new bumper

that's what my body shop told me
Old 03-01-05, 10:46 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
well by comparison to a fg bumper it will cost more (mostly labor i say) to fix a poly bumper. so depending on the amount of work sometimes it might be better off just to get a new bumper

that's what my body shop told me
I'd just get a new one too
Old 03-01-05, 11:38 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb

stock bumpers can definitely be repaired, the problem is when they heat the plastic, it weakens it. If someone were to hit you on the part that was repaired, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty...

for me this was a no brainer on my old maxima-it was my back bumper that got scuffed and I figure, if someone hits me, they are paying either way so I didn't care.
Old 03-01-05, 12:27 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear this

had something similar happen to me on RT 8o with a baseball

but luckily it hit my license plate and it was in my old 4 runner

on the brightside it could have been much worse

i ve heard too many stories with debris flying thru windshields killing the driver
Old 03-06-05, 09:59 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

that sucks man but i hope you don't feel too bad . here take a look at mine if it will make you feel better

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151737