GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Costco gasoline -- interesting observation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 10:15 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the Feds have forced all gas chains to add a minimum 10% ethanol to all grades in most states, some chains may add more thus explaining lower fuel mileage, some chains used it before the requirement was put in place and the fuel they sold burned much faster.
Old 02-28-05, 12:46 AM
chanhichan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
In California, all gas is the same CARB RFG II with alcohol. It's the add pack and how the fuel is stored and shipped that is different. Shell(SOPUS)/ChevronTexaco/ConocoPhilips(76) have their own add packs. Generic fuel uses standard off the shelf Ethyl, Oronite or Lubrizol add packs.

Hi all. I am not new to this forum.... But let me tell you about Gas. Our family is in gas business for about 27 years and what NTHACH mentioned is exactly right. The main reason that you run less with costco gas is costco doesn't put any fuel addictive which make you go little faster and longer.
THAT IS THE ONLY REASON... PERIOD...
and ALL GAS ARE EQUAL.
it is different when you compare 91 with 95. but when you compare Arco 91 and Texaco 91.
It is pretty much same except addictives. Those octane numbers are world standard unit.

and even without those addictives, your car wouldn't have any problem.. If you do, then gas companies would face major law suits and they would be probably out of business by now...

And Please don't offend others who put cheap gas.. I think they can be smart people.
I used to live in California and I moved to South Korea couple years ago. In Korea, gas price is
about $4 per gallon (about 70% is a tax). Even with that high gas price, in Korea, some gas stations have something called "ultra super premium" and it costs around $6 to $7, of course per gallon. Some people actually believe that they are actually better than regular fuel... Some people that I know who drive IS200 (in Korea, there are only IS 200) put that Ultra Super.. whatever. With that price, the total gas in like 4 year would be larger than his original car value..

I think gas is like a drinking water. You drink whatever you like, Evian, Arrowhead, Dasani, and so on.... But at then end, it is just a freaking drinking water.
Old 02-28-05, 01:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

interesting observation on the costco gas. to be honest, i never use costco gas on my lexus.... just not worth it. they are not bad but i won't put them together with 76, mobil, chevron, or shell.

from what i have see among the 4, i like 76 the most. seems like giving me the most power. chevron somehow always give me the worst gas and power feeling (yeah it's just feeling) but then it has techron to clean my engine so i can't complain
Old 02-28-05, 07:27 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with chanhichan 100%. Everything that I'ver read says that the only difference between brands is the detergent additive packages, and those additives won't make a MPG difference in the short run. And which additive package is better? Who knows. I've never seen any independent tests. Chevron came up with a catchy name for its additives, and they promoted it to death. But is it better? It's better promoted, and I would leave it at that.

BTW, I just started to use Costco gasoline, and I haven't noticed any mileage differences. BUT, I routinely use the cheapest gasolines (of the recommended grades). So I can't compare Costco gas with more expensive brands.
Old 02-28-05, 11:14 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting observation on the costco gas. to be honest, i never use costco gas on my lexus.... just not worth it. they are not bad but i won't put them together with 76, mobil, chevron, or shell.

from what i have see among the 4, i like 76 the most. seems like giving me the most power. chevron somehow always give me the worst gas and power feeling (yeah it's just feeling) but then it has techron to clean my engine so i can't complain
i get the most mileage on Shell, the worst on Chevron, OK on Costco or Rotten Robbie.
Old 02-28-05, 11:47 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Costco Gas.

I use nothing but Shell Super Unleaded in all my cars. I find this a very interesting observation and all the more reason for me to keep using shell.
Thanks Guys,
Will
Old 03-01-05, 11:09 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Like Henry, I've never used Costco for the Lex (but have on other cars and never really noticed a mpg diff). I usually stick to Shell or 76, would fill up at Chevron more often but notice their super unleaded is more expensive. Which brings me to the the next question: why can't Calif (or is it just the Bay Area) have a 93 octane super unleaded instead of our 91???
Old 03-02-05, 04:37 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We use Costco gas on occation when the line is not long on our 04 Lexus. We have never noticed any perceptable difference in gas mileage or performance. I find drving style to be a bigger difference. When I drive the car more than my wife the car gets better miles per gallon. Part of that could be that I work at night when trafic is light while my wifes goes to work in the morning traffic.
Old 03-02-05, 06:29 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

how do u guys feel about citgo gas? thers this new citgo gas station that opened up and its promo is 1.78 for premium 93 octane. i've been using it for about a week now, have not noticed any difference in mpgs.
Old 03-02-05, 12:35 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Costco's gasoline quality are as equivalent to or better than other brands .