GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Costco gasoline -- interesting observation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 10:10 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Costco gasoline -- interesting observation

I've been buying gas at Costco for about a year now (for my 98 GS4). It's considerably cheaper than at the local gas stations in the area, so I figured why not. In fact, during the height of gas prices last summer, it was about 25 cents cheaper per gallon (for the premium 93 octane). Now that gas prices have come down a bit, the price difference is only about 10 cents per gallon, but it's still a savings of a couple of bucks, so I've continued to fill up at Costco. For the past 6 months or so, I've been keeping close tabs on my gas mileage. I travel 30 highway miles to and from work with some local driving as well, and, on average, I've been getting about 20 miles per gallon. If I slow down on the highway from 75 to 65, I get closer to 21 mpg. Anyway, I would say that I've been getting pretty much 20 mpg for quite some time now.

I let my wife drive my car last weekend (I know -- big mistake), and she noticed that I was really low on gas so she filled up at the local Shell station (with premium -- good girl). For the last week, I've been running late pretty much every day and I've been driving relatively fast on the highway around 80 mph), accelerating hard at lights, etc. Anyway, I just filled up my car yesterday and to my surprise, on the last tank of gas, I got 22.5 mpg, approximately 2.5 mpg better than most tanks for the last year. This CANNOT be a coincidence, particularly because I was really driving with a heavy foot on this last tank. I've have to believe that the Shell gas burns much cleaner and more efficiently than the Costco gas. Sure, you save a few bucks per tank filling up at Costco, but if this last tank is any indication, you get much better mileage on "brand name" gasoline, so it probably all works out in the end.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. Has anyone else had this same experience?

e-man
Old 02-27-05, 10:20 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i cant say that i have any experience w/this b/c i NEVER put that garbage gas in my car, only the best... all i know is that you get what you pay for
Old 02-27-05, 10:26 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by varcity64
i cant say that i have any experience w/this b/c i NEVER put that garbage gas in my car, only the best... all i know is that you get what you pay for
Costco has a good reputation, and I really I didn't think it would sell bad gas to its customers. I don't know if I would go so far as to call the gas "garbage," but clearly it's not up to par with Shell and possibly other brand name gasolines. And, you are right, generally in life you get what you pay for, and this is a perfect example.
Old 02-27-05, 10:55 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've noticed that too. i usually fill with either chevron or 76 and i get like 20-21 miles per gallon. when i fill with costco gasoline, i get like 18 miles per gallon.
Old 02-27-05, 12:22 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only garbage gas is Arco.
Old 02-27-05, 03:45 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny how some people think they're saving money by using cheap gas, as well as cheap dyno oil.

If you run your car on good Chevron gas, and run it on Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil it definitely feels more expensive at the cash register... but in the long run, it is about the same price, and you get the added benefit of of a cleaner, longer lasting engine. These same people that run junk gas and oil in their cars, also tend to buy Fords "and other fine cars", as the rental car companies say. Buy yourself a nice car, keep it well maintained, and use good quality oil and gas, and you'll get ahead. The rich definitely DO get richer...
Old 02-27-05, 03:57 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody tell me what constitures Junk Gas?
Old 02-27-05, 05:31 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by morris
Somebody tell me what constitures Junk Gas?
That's a really good question. Seriously.
Old 02-27-05, 05:35 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my car gets OK mileage on Costco and Chevron gas, good mileage on 76 or Shell.
Old 02-27-05, 05:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
That's a really good question. Seriously.
In California, all gas is the same CARB RFG II with alcohol. It's the add pack and how the fuel is stored and shipped that is different. Shell(SOPUS)/ChevronTexaco/ConocoPhilips(76) have their own add packs. Generic fuel uses standard off the shelf Ethyl, Oronite or Lubrizol add packs.
Old 02-27-05, 05:41 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude I'm not a petroleum engineer break it down for the little people, whats and add pack any way

Then the next Questiopn w0ould be is that just a CA thing then?
Old 02-27-05, 05:58 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by morris
dude I'm not a petroleum engineer break it down for the little people, whats and add pack any way

Then the next Questiopn w0ould be is that just a CA thing then?
add pack=additive package, Chevron's Techron is an example of one

Reformulated Gasoline is used in places that have bad air quality like California in an attempt to reduce air pollution. It's a standarized formulation with a oxygenate like MTBE or ethanol added to it.
Old 02-27-05, 06:03 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

You don't really save much with Costco gas - get a Citibank Dividend card and they'll give you 5% cash back at gas stations. $2 per gallon at 5% is $0.10 per gallon you're saving by using the card. The trick is to only use the Dividend card on Gas and Groceries since they have a $300/year cash back limit.
Old 02-27-05, 06:54 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Octane just refers to how much heat the fuel will withstand before it combusts of its own accord (knocking).

It doesn't say anything about its ability to make your car go.

Right?
Old 02-27-05, 08:37 PM
URWTDRM
Driver School Candidate

What is this 93 octane you speak of? We only see 91 octane out here

Quick Reply: Costco gasoline -- interesting observation