GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Michelin Balance Woes on My GS4

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-01, 06:29 PM
advsystems
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

At around 16k miles, the steering wheel started to get a pretty nasty vibration at freeway speeds. I have been rotating the tires every 5k miles & am always on top of the tire pressure. I had Big-O install the L-Tuned springs/shocks around that time, and with the tire rotation & alignment, the problem eased, but did not go away. At 20k, I had the tires balanced/rotated at Big-O. They also checked the alignment again free of charge (it had settled a bit).

To my surprise, the steering vibration came back with a vengence. Big-O again checked the balance for free, & said the front tires were off. Problem better, but not gone. Figured I'd take it to Lexus of Pleasanton. (never again, but that's another story).

They first tried to get me to authorize an "inspection fee", since the vehicle had been worked on at Big-O. I declined. They came back & said 1) the tires were balanced incorrectly, and 2) the front sway bar clamp was attached incorrectly. They would not re-balance the tiresfor free, but for $80, would do it right (citing the precision required to get the Lexus wheels balanced properly). I said no thanks.

Back to Big-O. Another re-check of the balance - free of charge. Sway bar clamp OK (only one way to attach it?)
They stated that another store had the ability to check for tire/rim run-out & adjust the balance accordingly; I could take it there if the problem persists.

It's better, but not gone entirely. Is this normal? Are these 16" OE wheels really that difficlut to balance? I've read threads that people have had various problems with their OE tires that Lexus has replaced for free. Are these conditions symptomatic of the Michelins?
Old 05-30-01, 07:24 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

When I had my 17" XGTZ4 Pilots put on they had to balance them a second time about 2 weeks after they were installed. Since then smooth as silk. The tire place claimed they had the latest and greatest in off-the-car wheel balancing equipment. And they did say the GS400 is more sensitive to out-of-balance conditions than your average sedan. Whether this is true or not I can't confirm.

Sounds to me like your Big O folks aren't quite up to the job.
Old 05-30-01, 07:37 AM
fever
Lead Lap

I've got the Pilots and had the exact same situation as RealMarty. The tires are very difficult to balance but they have been perfect for the last twelve thousand miles. Stay with it and have it done right.
Old 05-30-01, 08:46 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Does your dealer do its alignment in house or outsource? I'd be bit less trusting of Big-O than I would of my dealer. It might be time to take it to the dealer or find out who they have do their alignment. The Michelins are very good to have on the GS. They have more round sidewalls and don't tend to be apt to the same out of balance/vibration problems that tires with more rigid sidewalls like Bridgestone have.

Brian