GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

REVIEW & PICS: American-Stitches Wood & Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 01:31 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that they got the leather in, noticed it didn't match and figured to use it anyways instead of further delays. They should have called and told you about in the first place. Sounds like they were going to try and slip it by, hoping you wouldn't notice.

p.s. Nothing bugs me more than when people don't return phone calls.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-05, 01:55 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JacobT
Hmm, something's different here. Where are the thumb rests on your wood wheel. Here is the pic of GSXOTIC's wood wheel by AS from the previous GB.
That was a personal preference - I chose to leave the thumb rests off.

Originally Posted by chuckb
no offense, but it would look much better without all that stick on stuff all over the rest of the car. The leather color however, looks tan instead of grey like it should.
I told my wife the stick-on wood was "over the top", but she really likes it. It's her car, so she made the call. As for the leather color, I'm hoping that as she drives around to see clients this week it will drive her crazy. Maybe by next weekend she will be ready for me to park the car again and send the wheel back.
Old 02-28-05, 01:56 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MailManX

I told my wife the stick-on wood was "over the top", but she really likes it. It's her car, so she made the call. As for the leather color, I'm hoping that as she drives around to see clients this week it will drive her crazy. Maybe by next weekend she will be ready for me to park the car again and send the wheel back.
what can i say man...sux to be your wife.....

altho, I must say if she decides to turn the wheel back to AS, just think another 5 weeks with one less woman on the road
Old 02-28-05, 02:06 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
what can i say man...sux to be your wife.....

altho, I must say if she decides to turn the wheel back to AS, just think another 5 weeks with one less woman on the road
That was cold, but I laughed anyway!!
Old 02-28-05, 02:53 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I can't believe that. I was really looking forward to doing this conversion. My biggest problem is that I need my car. They quoted me turn around time of 10-12 days, but that doesn't seem realistic at all. The wood does look great, but like the previous statements the leather is really off. I would difitnitely return it and get it done right.
Old 02-28-05, 04:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, that's the complains i heard from my friend too. he has grey interior leather, and he was having one hell of a time with AS matching. came back, leather way off, sent it in again came back, still off. it's off from the airbag and it's also off from the interior color. so it's like the middle of nowhere. he got frustrated and just live with it.
Old 02-28-05, 04:16 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by audio28
Wow I can't believe that. I was really looking forward to doing this conversion. My biggest problem is that I need my car. They quoted me turn around time of 10-12 days, but that doesn't seem realistic at all. The wood does look great, but like the previous statements the leather is really off. I would difitnitely return it and get it done right.
I guess there's always a chance that my case was a rare exception. The price is certainly right and the work is beautiful. I think that If I were to do it again, knowing what I know now, I'd try to get a guaranteed turn around time in writing with a note that missing the date would reduce the price by some number you choose. I don't know if they'd go for it, but I'd sure try. I'd also tell them you've seen an example of their mis-matched leather and that they need to guarantee a match or, again, they must reduce the price for making you send it back for rework. If you could get them to go for that type of an agreement, then I certainly think that for $400 (or less), you'd be getting a good product.

Heck, tell them they are getting a trashy review on Club Lexus right now and that if they treat you right, you'll give them a good review.

As for being without the car, an option that I nearly tried, and wish now that I had, was to buy a steering wheel on ebay for a couple hundred bucks to use while yours is being worked on. The wheel would not have to have the airbag or eshift for temporary use. Then, when you have your own steering wheel back, sell the old one on ebay for what you paid for it.
Old 02-28-05, 04:19 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, that's the complains i heard from my friend too. he has grey interior leather, and he was having one hell of a time with AS matching. came back, leather way off, sent it in again came back, still off. it's off from the airbag and it's also off from the interior color. so it's like the middle of nowhere. he got frustrated and just live with it.
Oops, I guess it wasn't just me. That's really too bad because American-Stitches is offering a great product that a lot of people can use. But they need to resolve their color match issues or else they will have a hard time getting business from people who are thorough enough to research a product and read reviews before buying.
Old 02-28-05, 04:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Oops, I guess it wasn't just me. That's really too bad because American-Stitches is offering a great product that a lot of people can use. But they need to resolve their color match issues or else they will have a hard time getting business from people who are thorough enough to research a product and read reviews before buying.
nop, definitely not an isolated issue, i have seen at least 2 steering wheels like that. i guess ti's just hard to match the leather, either it's inherently the problem or AS can't match it themselves. personally, i tend to believe this is a problem of the matching leather color in general.

about the delivery time, to me it's like hit and miss. my friend got LONG return time the first time but fast the second

but of course, give credits where they are due. the wood is just massive and awesome. very heavy and solid
Old 02-28-05, 07:10 PM
MailManX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
nop, definitely not an isolated issue, i have seen at least 2 steering wheels like that. i guess ti's just hard to match the leather, either it's inherently the problem or AS can't match it themselves. personally, i tend to believe this is a problem of the matching leather color in general.

about the delivery time, to me it's like hit and miss. my friend got LONG return time the first time but fast the second

but of course, give credits where they are due. the wood is just massive and awesome. very heavy and solid
I most defintely give credit to AS for their great craftsmanship. I tried to be very honest in my review. And I believe you are right, leather is probably very hard to color match. Even different dye lots of the "same color" can look different. I just got off the phone with my wife. She's lived with the "new" steering wheel for one full day on the road and is still OK with it. I'll see how that pans out by the weekend.
Old 02-28-05, 07:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I most defintely give credit to AS for their great craftsmanship. I tried to be very honest in my review. And I believe you are right, leather is probably very hard to color match. Even different dye lots of the "same color" can look different. I just got off the phone with my wife. She's lived with the "new" steering wheel for one full day on the road and is still OK with it. I'll see how that pans out by the weekend.
haha it's funny, coz' my friend did the same thing, just got used to it

and now i read back, sorry i forgot to give props on your review, it's VERY well written! very constructive, every bit of it