GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Balancing 20 Inch Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-01, 01:27 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BALANCING 20 INCH RIMS / SPRING INSTALLATION

Hey guys, I finally found a place to install my H&R's. He is going to charge me $260 *without* alignment though. The reason being is that his computer can't reconize 20" wheels because its too big.

I know its been discussed before but just wanted to make sure. I know a few of you used stock shocks with H&R's or different lowering springs. Just one last time, was there any rubbing/problems when you got it installed. Also the ppl who have 20" rims, where did you get your alignment? Did you get it in the same place where you got your installation at?

Also, a friend of mine had an idea. He said I should put the lexus 17"'s back on and do the alignment and after that just put the 20"'s back on. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 05-30-01 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-01, 03:52 PM
Presario
Driver

I wouldn't recommend just changing your springs. Spend another $250 or so and get the L-tuned shocks from Steve at Carson Toyota if you don't want to spend $500 for the bilstein. If you put those springs on, your shocks will blow out soon and would have to pay someone later to install the shocks. It's gonna be another $260 because installing the shocks is the exact same process as installing the springs. Just do it in one blow and use the $260 you would be paying for labor to buy the L-tuned struts. You will save money, trust me. ALso about your wheels, if you want to get an alignment done, you have to go to a place that has an adapter for larger wheels. The place I went to just got them so were able to align my 19"s. I would also recommend finding a place that can do all three installs at the same time. It only cost me $275 to do all three here in Los Angeles. Hope that helped!

-Andy
GS300
Old 05-30-01, 06:58 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

DIESELMAN...I also plan on going with the H&R/Bilstein combo...You should just do it know and save the cash for reinstallation....besides Bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty...
Old 05-30-01, 07:00 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

gs4will will hook you up on the Bilsteins for like 425 shipped...i think...talk to him...
Old 05-30-01, 07:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Yes, I think that would be a good idea to get the bilsteins. Though my rear stocked shocks are pratically brand new

Also, anyone know if PEPBOYS is capable of aligning 20" wheels? So far I have no luck in finding a place to do my alignment.

I'm really in a hole here.

1)Should I put my H&R with stock springs

2)Get the bilsteins but I need the money because my club gonna re-open very soon !

3)Can't wait because I want to lower it ASAP. Or just get 2 new FRONT shocks because my rear is only 8 months old.

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS

Last edited by D-MAN63; 05-30-01 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-01, 07:35 PM
PUREVIL

Why don't you stick on your stock wheels if they are having trouble aligning 20s???? When I had my Suburban lowered they didn't have a problem aligning my 20s.
Old 05-30-01, 10:19 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

The 17" wheels have a different diamter tire than the 20" wheels. I know 245-35-20 Nittos versus my stock 225-55-16 is about an inch difference, so this will affect the alignment.

What area do you live in?

I would definitely go with the bilsteins...I guess it will also cure that sagging you get in the back when people are in the car or you have lots of weight in the trunk
Old 05-30-01, 10:24 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

NYC...I am sure there are others from this board that have had the cars aligned with 20's in NYC...Help this member out...
Old 05-30-01, 10:39 PM
PUREVIL

Overall diameter shouldn't affect alignment should it??? Alignment deals with camber, positive and negative, which should have nothing to do with size of your wheels. Maybe they had problem clamping the laser alignment tool to your 20s. But the alignment should be the same with 15s, 18s, 20s, or 23s!
Old 05-31-01, 01:52 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Presario,

How's that other planet you've been on? Hadn't seen you around here in a long time. Everyone, a pat on the shoulder for an old school member!

Dieselman,

Nooooooo, change all four shocks! I wouldn't even want to think what that might do to your handling if you have two different shocks. :eek: This is your Lexus man! Do it right. Your impatience may end up costing you another $250 in the long run. Trust me, if you put just those springs on, you'll end up with a mediocre handling car while ruining your stock shocks. On top of that, when they do wind up getting so bad that your GS begins to look like a hydraulic ghetto cruiser, you'll be popping another $250-$425 for proper shocks, $150-$250 for installation, plus $$ to get it all re-aligned (and don't forget, you can't sell or re-use those stock shocks). This doesn't factor in the inconvenience of having to get the whole installation done twice and the disappointment of a poor handling car. If you may be low on the $$$, leave it all stock for now until you can do it right. Once you get the proper springs in and, more importantly, proper shocks, you'll wonder why you ever doubted doing it right (all the while hugging your favorite twisty road at 75 MPH).

PUREVIL,

The 20s are actually a larger diameter tire (as opposed to the 19"s and 18"s, which can have the same overall size as the stock tires and still fit on the GS). Because that affects height and the car's handling characteristics, the car must be aligned with the 20"s mounted.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Brian
Old 05-31-01, 02:49 AM
Presario
Driver

Hey Brian,
It's good to be back here on earth and to clublexus! Thanks for the warm welcome Brian- your car's looking great as usual.
I agree with Brian completely. Change all four or you'll most likely regret it real soon. Try out the L-tuned shocks if your budget doesn't allow you to get the bilsteins. ~$225 is an awesome deal for four shocks! I have them on now and I love them.

-Andy
Old 05-31-01, 04:18 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Hey, I just want to make sure us grandpa's are represented.

Brian
Old 05-31-01, 04:50 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

DIESELMAN63, There are two different types of alignment you need to consider. The first is speed balancing the tires. For this you have to have the 20's on, and you are right, some places don't have an alignment rack that will fit 20's. The second type is the geometry alignment, this handles camber, toe, etc... As far as I know, any qualified shop (that knows Lexus) should be able to handle this. The HR's normally don't drop enough to require this alignment, but if you start seeing uneven wear patterns, you may want to consider having it done. I'd suggest calling around to some of the performance shops that handle imports, and they can probably tell you a shop that can align 20's. By the way, here is a link to a quick tire size calculator;
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Hope this helps!
Eric
Old 05-31-01, 05:34 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

DIESELMAN63

I replied back to your personal message that you sent me. It's long, but check it out and i hope that answers all of your questions for you.
Old 05-31-01, 05:37 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

DIESELMAN63---forgot that the personal messaging only takes 1000 characters. But here is my reply.

Here are the answers to your questions:

I have the Nitto NT555's 245/35 in the front and 275/30 in the rear with the H&R drop on 20 inch Lowenhart Chrome 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the rear. There is no rubbing at all. The only disadvantage is that the wheels will slow you down, and you can say goodbye to those easy u-turns that you were able to do with your stock tires. Even if I do a u-turn, there is not touching at all, everything will clear just fine, don't worry. That is if you have the same setup as mine--i.e. the same rims size and tire size---just make sure that you have the right offset for your car.

I got the whole thing installed with the rims and everything, but the spring install should cost you no more that $200. Don't go to the dealer to get it installed, that is just a waste of money. Springs are springs, on any car, so any experienced performance shop should be able to do it.

I highly recommend you get your alignment done immediately. You don't want to wear out those expensive tires. And I suggest you find a shop that can do 20 inch wheels. And also, get all 4 wheels aligned, don't mess with that **** of just the front two. When I got mine aligned, the back two were ok, not that much off, but the front was off track, but definetly, alignment is a must. I did not get it done at the same place, because I have a friend that owns an alignment shop that hooked me up. If you were down here in FL, man I could of got you the springs installed and a 4-wheel alignment for about $175. Now that's not bad at all--you know.

Also, a word of advice, you will feel some shaking on the wheel, cause it is very hard to balance 20's. I got mine balance and Discount Tire Co, but unfortunatly, they don't have a store in the New York area---i checked for you. In my opionion, find a place that will give you a lifetime balancing on the wheels---pay the extra money, in the longrun, it will be worth it. That is what I did. You see, Discount Tire has a machine that will balance the wheels while putting 1000lbs of weight on the wheel. It gives you a better balancing. They showed it to me on a regular machine and on the new machine. If you can find something like that in your area, i definetly recommend it.

Also, I'm still using my stock shocks. If you have the money to get the Bilsteins, get them, but I didn't want to just yet, cause I might get coilovers later--hopefully. But for me, mine are working just great, and they don't bottom out at all. Now remember, we have better roads in Florida than upstate, so that is totally up to you. Listen, if you have any more questions or need any help, e-mail me at ap0718@clublexus.com or I have AOL, and if you do, my screen name and e-mail is the same Ap0718. Feel free to contact me.

Hope that helps!!

Quick Reply: Balancing 20 Inch Rims