GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My GS has headlight condensation - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
bad batch of rubber from japan?

I can tell you for a while back (maybe 90's) brand new supras were turning up at the dealer with rust

now the reason why? turns out japan was using remanufactured rusted american steel for quite some time when they built their cars. apparently the metal wasn't liquified, reprocessed correctly and rustproofed so the rust came right through BRAND NEW paint on brand new supras

Toyota did make good (I think ) not 100% sure

similarly back in 89 when the maxima body changed, the same scenario reared it's ugly head. There were actually boycotts of japanese cars back then.
ummm, i don't know then. could be the case, but that would suck
Old 03-10-05, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
How About Drilling A Small Hole At The Bottom Of The Headlight Caseing Under The Hood To Allow The Condensation To Escape
i am afraid that might just let more moisture in...
Old 03-10-05, 03:34 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well the car is still there at the dealership. I brought it there on Tuesday for some little things they were going to fix with the purchase of the car. So those are getting fixed... The headlights they have not told me anything yet, but the service rep did mention he has seen this before, but that was it. He is supposed to be calling em sometime today to let me know more about where the car is along in the process....

What dealership do you work at flashbang?
Old 03-10-05, 03:46 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
Well the car is still there at the dealership. I brought it there on Tuesday for some little things they were going to fix with the purchase of the car. So those are getting fixed... The headlights they have not told me anything yet, but the service rep did mention he has seen this before, but that was it. He is supposed to be calling em sometime today to let me know more about where the car is along in the process....

What dealership do you work at flashbang?
So did you threaten them with canceling the sale?

3dog
Old 03-10-05, 06:42 PM
flashbang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

threaten them might work if you could return it. But like I said good luck lol.......
They will say, thats how it is, nothing we could do its a use car, warranty covers on the power train and other miner stuff.Its like saying the car have scrathes and dents fix it.(preown car)
Or they will say thats why you got a good deal, sold as is lol...
No, I'm not going to tell you what dealership I work at. Maybe next time
Old 03-10-05, 06:45 PM
flashbang
Driver

I work for acura dealership whytry.
Old 03-10-05, 07:02 PM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

I have my 430 at the dealership right now and the headlight condensation is one of the things on the list. It's on the factory warranty though so that might be a bit different. From what I've seen so far it's a good dealership, they got my steering wheel replaced under warranty when the clear coat turned semi opaque. I'll post what they do when I get it back.

Kevin
Old 03-11-05, 10:16 AM
whytry
Advanced

Still waiting, they tell me I should get my car back today. I will see what they say. My service rep said it looks like everything you needed to get done was done.
Old 03-11-05, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Still waiting, they tell me I should get my car back today. I will see what they say. My service rep said it looks like everything you needed to get done was done.
man why is it taking so long, what other problems do you have? i hope they get you new headlights too. you can't get a list from the advisor what's done, before you go to the dealership?
Old 03-11-05, 02:48 PM
whytry
Advanced

The other things were:

The ashtray was worn - charcoal paint worn off, they replaced it. It had a handsfree kit in it that was not compatible with my phone, plus it is just ugly to me, so they removed it.

And the car had a slight shimmey @ 60, since they put new tires on it for me I thought it was a balancing issue, but turns out the rim was bent a little and caused the vibration..... This does not suprise me that much because I did see some curb rash on one of the wheels....

Lastly the headlights, as of now he is telling me he is not sure what has been completed or not. I told him I wanted to make sure the headlights were replaced due to the safety concerns I have about it, and he said the tech said they needed to dryout. I told him that's nice but what about everytime I drive it, in the rain, or wash my car? I should not have to turn on my headlights to dry them out, this car is 10 days old to me.... He said he will call me back.
Old 03-11-05, 02:56 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stay on them for hte headlights. This is the only "valid" time for you to get some action on it so don't give in. Make sure when you get it back to see if they are new: clear, no pittting, ... Don't let them dry it out and give it back to you.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-05, 04:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The other things were:

The ashtray was worn - charcoal paint worn off, they replaced it. It had a handsfree kit in it that was not compatible with my phone, plus it is just ugly to me, so they removed it.

And the car had a slight shimmey @ 60, since they put new tires on it for me I thought it was a balancing issue, but turns out the rim was bent a little and caused the vibration..... This does not suprise me that much because I did see some curb rash on one of the wheels....

Lastly the headlights, as of now he is telling me he is not sure what has been completed or not. I told him I wanted to make sure the headlights were replaced due to the safety concerns I have about it, and he said the tech said they needed to dryout. I told him that's nice but what about everytime I drive it, in the rain, or wash my car? I should not have to turn on my headlights to dry them out, this car is 10 days old to me.... He said he will call me back.
yeah neo is right, definitely stay on them close until they are willing to do what's right. there is no point in drying out the headlights. it's just a matter of time before you run into real trouble
Old 03-11-05, 05:06 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry condensation

You need to go in there and talk to the guy who sold you the car.
Tell that person and the manager that it is a deal breaker if they don't replace those headlights. You've been too nice and they are trying to get you to go away.

If they are telling you stuff about drying out the headlights, then they are dicking you around.

It is time to force them to either replace the headlights or take the car back.
Don't waiver or hem and haw. Stand up to them. Tell them about Club Lexus. There are lots of people here who bought or will buy their car at that dealership. Believe me they do not want to **** off this group. Don't leave there until they agree to replace those lights.
Get it in writing. Your 30 days are already 1/3 gone!

Get tough. Don't take no for an answer. Make them change the headlights!

Do it today!

Ivan
3dog
Old 03-11-05, 06:12 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Let the dealership know that you are a knowledgeable consumer that you have done your homework at CL and know this is a common problem for the GS. Get it replaced while you still under warranty.
Old 03-11-05, 08:46 PM
flashbang
Driver

you can not return your car whytry theres NO COOLING -OFF PERIOD IN CALIFORNIA.
Thats the law, like i said 99.9% they won't replace it.
GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: My GS has headlight condensation - what to do?