GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

20" rims Concern

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 06:23 PM
tobal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" rims Concern

Hey guys, I just picked up a set of 20" rims, 20x8.5" w/ Yokohama AVS Sport 255/35/20 all around. I'm not sure what the offsets are because i picked these up used from another GS owner. These are the LD1 Replicas. Gosh these things are heavy! but they just looks soo good on the car

Well i haven't done any suspension mods on my car, all stock. I have the L-tune shock and springs just sitting around waiting to be installed. But my main concern is with rubbing and other complications that i might run into. I currently already have some rubbing issues in the front when i turn my wheel more excessively especially towards the passenger side. I can hear the thing rub. I have done a search that 255/35/20 isn't very ideal in the front, would this be the main problem for my rubbing?

Also the car actually looks pretty decent already w/o the drop. only 3 finger gap front and back. I assume that the L-tune setup will drop it exactly to the tires. While just looking at that, it looks like i might have problems with clearance. Also the bolt in by the suspension arm is super close to the tire already... I might or might not be rubbing already. How would lowering affect this setup?

Also how did some of you resolve the problem with the tire rubbing on the rear of the fenderliner?

I have been thru a few old threads of some solutions, but thought i get some new active opinions.
Old 03-02-05, 06:28 PM
tobal
Rookie

pics of the car w/ the rims on with stock supsension
Attached Thumbnails 20" rims Concern-rims.jpg  
Old 03-02-05, 06:46 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correction, i thought u had the real ld1's , i had the real ones in 8.5 width, then sold them and went with the same lowenhart staggered!!!

i used to have the exact same setup, i hated the yokohama tires, they were the noisiest tire ive ever had in my life, anyway i sold those and got the same wheel in 20x9 and 20x10 staggered, that made all the difference in the world with the wheels, and i switched to toyo t1s tires which i love and will never buy anything else now,,,,,,,,,,,,, anyway the bold isnt gonna be an issue with you, it travels with the tire not against it, lowering is ok though u may get some scrub cuz of the 255...................., next time u need tires just get 245,,,,,,,,,,,,and ditch the avs sports!!!!

Last edited by blueGS400; 03-03-05 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 08:05 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the Toyo T1s tires. I love these tires and I have had several different tires before, and they are the best all around that I have had. Tread wear has been great and they are not too noisy.
Old 03-02-05, 08:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tobal
Also the car actually looks pretty decent already w/o the drop. only 3 finger gap front and back. I assume that the L-tune setup will drop it exactly to the tires.
Oh no, from the pic, you NEED that drop.

The L-Tuned will not drop it that low (to the tires) but it will look pretty good. It depends somewhat on the offset, but the 255 will be a potential rubbing problem. You will need to roll the fenders and push in the fender well liners. I think there is a thread somewhere about this. if you are already rubbing now, you will continue to get some rubbing even with the fender mods. Remember, with the 245/35 tires, the outside diameter is already an inch bigger than OEM. With 255s, you are bigger still. The fact that it is wider, it will rub once the wheel goes left and right. One of the drawbacks of 20s most of us have to deal with.

I know there have been some reports of members not rubbing but it may be some combination of offet, drop, tire size, and tire type (tires from different manufacturers have different shapes). Since everyone's setup is just different enough, it is hard to say what the magic combo is. There is also the very small minority that does not even realize that they are rubbing if it is minimal enough. I do know of real life cases of this. No one on here though.
Old 03-02-05, 08:53 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Oh no, from the pic, you NEED that drop.

The L-Tuned will not drop it that low (to the tires) but it will look pretty good. It depends somewhat on the offset, but the 255 will be a potential rubbing problem. You will need to roll the fenders and push in the fender well liners. I think there is a thread somewhere about this. if you are already rubbing now, you will continue to get some rubbing even with the fender mods. Remember, with the 245/35 tires, the outside diameter is already an inch bigger than OEM. With 255s, you are bigger still. The fact that it is wider, it will rub once the wheel goes left and right. One of the drawbacks of 20s most of us have to deal with.

I know there have been some reports of members not rubbing but it may be some combination of offet, drop, tire size, and tire type (tires from different manufacturers have different shapes). Since everyone's setup is just different enough, it is hard to say what the magic combo is. There is also the very small minority that does not even realize that they are rubbing if it is minimal enough. I do know of real life cases of this. No one on here though.
definitely! listen to neo and drop that bad boy lol I still dont get why soo many people do rims before suspension
Old 03-02-05, 09:04 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i never knew what i was missing until i actually dropped my car. before, i thought that it was not that necessary. but after i dropped it, it looked sooooooooooooo much more aggressive and mean (if that makes sense). the car also handled so much better. man, a 3 FINGER GAP would kill me. i cant stand looking at that. put that l-tuned set up in now (or buy my tein flex and drop it even more ) trust me, once you drop it, you will NEVER go back. i have negative camber on mine and i dont want to raise it b/c of how sweet the ride looks w/no gap all around
Old 03-02-05, 09:05 PM
tobal
Rookie

I must agree to everyone's post about the Yoko Tires....I never realized how loud these tires are now until i have a set myself. I will definetely try out those Toyos. Looks like i might have to rid the 255/35/20s in the front to avoid complications

Also it seems like some kind of fender mod is required whether it is rolling or shaving even with 245s.
Old 03-02-05, 09:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To get an idea of the drop, here is gsintensive's car. He is running L-Tuned with 20s:

Old 03-02-05, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks neo for the pics, they are nice

and yes, drop for sure, otherwise it's just nothing but weirdness and out of ratio look
Old 03-02-05, 10:51 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tobal
pics of the car w/ the rims on with stock supsension
WOW- I love the custom headlights.

PICS!
Old 03-03-05, 05:57 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

I used to have the same setup, knock off LD1's and L-tuned springs/shocks. Trust me you have to lower it, it will make all the difference in the world.
Yes the knock offs are very very heavy my friend. They look good though. Here is an old pic of my car ont hose same wheels and drop, but I have a kit.
Old 03-03-05, 06:36 AM
Motu1
Driver

Lexis11 are those 20's or 19's?
Old 03-03-05, 06:41 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

im running and 255 tire up front for now (not foor long) but ill post a pic of as low as you can go with 20s and a 255 tire up front
Old 03-03-05, 06:44 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Quick Reply: 20" rims Concern