GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

intake and heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-01, 06:58 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok the intake subject has been talked about extensively but i think theres one area that really hasnt been talked about much..

to begin with, we want the coldest air possible to enter the intake.

now by using steel pipes wouldnt the heat from the engine and stuff heat up the intakes piping drastically. im thinking metal his highly conductive so therefore itll heat up real quick. Then as air travels through it, the air will heat up cuz the pipe that it is going through would be reaaaallly hot. why not use plastic or something that doesnt heat up as much as metal. (i think ceramic doesnt heat us much? not sure)..but basically use some kind of material that has a tendency of staying cool no matter how hot it is arround it.

this would also go for the heat shield.

next...i was reading this magazine that was talkin about a super charged civic si. it had a k&n air filter to feed the supercharge with fresh air. now heres a quote from the magazine:

"prior to entering the intake, all air is chilled by a Power Cooler air-to-water aftercooler. Aftercoolers have been known to drop air temperature by 200 degrees fahrenheit with minimal pressure drop, thus resulting in higher boost, more timing and a smaller chance of engine damage from detonation"

cant we use something like that even tho we dont have a supercharger? if its effect is just to cool the air, this would be great. it would add more power and it would be a lot better for the car (im guessing your car would last longer if the air ur feeding it is colder and everything else stays constant). but definately youd get better performance.

and lets even say this after cooler costs a lot, like 400 bucks. I think it would be worth it. If you pay about 600 bucks for the swift racing hfi, i feel this would be a great companion for it.

but i dont exactly know how any of this works..
so anyone out there knowledgble in the quesitons ive asked?

and im definately waiting for a reply from mo, the gs intake master =)

late
Old 06-01-01, 07:28 AM
tim330i

Default air to water cooler.

I am interesed in something like this, how does a air to water cooler work? It is different from water injection correct? If it is the same as water injection then it isn't going to do much unless you are running high compression or high boost.

Tim
Old 06-06-01, 09:30 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what if we just get a mini intercooler..like the ones they use for turbos..i hear they come in all size..well just get the smallest one. -=) downsides to this would be?
Old 06-07-01, 08:10 AM
tim330i

Default downside

I think the downside to an intercooler is that they are restrictive. They are used in turbos and SC because the air is being forced through, on a NA car the air would have to be sucked through. I don't think there would be performance gains what so ever.

Tim