GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

exchanging full interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 09:42 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on it!! I only did the dash on my acura integra and we took about 2-3 hours. And when we put it back and didn't seem to fit all in right. Things kept rattling after the install. Remember to put all your nuts and bolts in one place and keep track of where they go. When your start unstalling everything those things are goring to be everywhere.
Old 03-03-05, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
You see that's the one part I really didn't want to remove.
and i really need to do it (soon)!
Old 03-03-05, 10:00 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interior swap

Yeah its labor intensive and time consuming, but its definately doable. Try taking polaroid pics as you go along, so you remember where everything goes. Work on one car at a time and don't mix up your bolts and clips and fasteners from one car to the other. Good luck!!
Will
Old 03-03-05, 10:05 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Yeah its labor intensive and time consuming, but its definately doable. Try taking polaroid pics as you go along, so you remember where everything goes. Work on one car at a time and don't mix up your bolts and clips and fasteners from one car to the other. Good luck!!
Will

thats a great point. i took pics of the process so i would remember where to put what and what bolt went where....take a digi cam and take a ton of pics than load them to the pc, trust me it will help when your piecing it back together..
Old 03-03-05, 10:12 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you need to do is put the screws or bolts back on after removing the part. Either it attaches on to the part or back in the hole of the interior. You can tape the plugs or screws if there's nothing to hold it in place. Stuff like clips or plugs, just use a bunch of sandwich bags and label the bag with a permanent marker and tape it to the main part using blue masking tape.
Old 03-03-05, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bluelex
thats a great point. i took pics of the process so i would remember where to put what and what bolt went where....take a digi cam and take a ton of pics than load them to the pc, trust me it will help when your piecing it back together..
haha blue, if you burn all the pics on a cd you can probably sell it
Old 03-04-05, 07:09 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
It just takes some time and patience.

What were you doing that you took all this stuff out
Old 03-04-05, 07:37 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
What were you doing that you took all this stuff out

Just running all the wiring for the audio and video being installed. I had a ton of wire running down the center and on both sides. I ran the wire super neat with tie wraps and also had to keep the power wires, audio signal and low level wires away from each other to avoid noise pick up. Also if I didn't do this I'd have a giant lump in the carpet.

I have pics of all the wiring installed, but that is off topic from this thread.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-04-05 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 11:27 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Swapping the interiors would not be bad at all, I swear I can have the interiors swapped out in one day(with the exception of the dash and steering wheel). I have had the interior out of myold GS so many times I could do it blind folded.

The door panels come off easy and quick
The seats come out easy and quick
the side panels come off easy and quick
The center console is slightly a *****, but nothing crazy
Get all of that out and the carpet is easy

I have never tackeled the dash or steerign wheel, so they might be the most difficult part of it.

GO FOR IT!!

Im trying to talk my buddy who bought my old GS into swapping me for his black interior
Old 03-05-05, 12:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm glad you brought this up b1
I've been wanting black interior and was wondering about the dash part b/c mainly of the speedo.

Everything is pretty easy like what most members said b/c of just nuts/bolts/and snap on/off pieces.
The hard part is again the dash and doesn't seem like anyone here done it yet
What about the speedometer, do you just simply unplug it???
Old 03-05-05, 03:09 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the speedo just unplugs, that is cake, but the dash is gonna be a pain, i think that black on grey will look so sweet, just need to have the guts to try this mission.
Old 03-05-05, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm glad you brought this up b1
I've been wanting black interior and was wondering about the dash part b/c mainly of the speedo.

Everything is pretty easy like what most members said b/c of just nuts/bolts/and snap on/off pieces.
The hard part is again the dash and doesn't seem like anyone here done it yet
What about the speedometer, do you just simply unplug it???
yeah the speedo is easy, the computer is with it anyway. but the dash, from everyone says, seems like it's going to be a good project to do...
Old 03-06-05, 07:09 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah the speedo is easy, the computer is with it anyway. but the dash, from everyone says, seems like it's going to be a good project to do...
great all i read is that the dash is going to be a pain... ....and of course thats the one piece in my project that didn't come out like how i wanted and had to buy a replacement for. its funny looking at my new blk dash on my kitchen floor it looks like just 14 or so bolts in easy to reach places. mayb its easier to take off when you know where all the bolts and screws are, i guess i can look at the new one for location and mayb make the job easier but it looks like i'm going to need more than one person to help me pull it out cus it had thpse push clips than lock in a socket in the back of the dash...becareful pulling it out..

if you guys want i could take pics of the back of my dash to help you know where these puch plugs are and some of the bolts? let me know.
Old 03-06-05, 07:15 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely take pics of the dash off the car for me....PLEASE!!! I think Im about to dive into this project, and that will help me out tremendously to know where the bolts are before I spend hours with trial and error.

Thanks
Old 03-06-05, 07:37 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Definitely take pics of the dash off the car for me....PLEASE!!! I think Im about to dive into this project, and that will help me out tremendously to know where the bolts are before I spend hours with trial and error.

Thanks
ok , i'll post some up in a few...

Quick Reply: exchanging full interior