GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

exchanging full interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 09:48 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ok i snapped a few..here is the side angle where you can see the plastic locking plugs i was talking about. these have to line up i guess and i guess be careful how you pull cuz if you pull from one side you might snap these plastic pieces..i put big pics so you can see better

this is the glove box area

and this is the radio area

Last edited by bluelex; 03-06-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 09:55 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

overall when you look at it it doesn't seem like that hard of a job...i hope these pics help some of you out. if you need any more angles let me know.

some more angles
here is the trunk and gas release area

cluster area

center console area

whole dash
Old 03-06-05, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey thanks for the pics adrian, that's so nice of you!

yeah seems like it's relatively ok

but i am thinking with all the electronics and wirings already behind the dash inside the car, that might make things a bit harder than it seems

but i am sure these pics are going to help al ot!
Old 03-06-05, 07:56 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
It's not that bad taking the parts out.
First: OMG car pr0n!!

Second: why isn't there a slot for skis to slide through from the trunk like in the BMW (or the ES for that matter)?
How structural can that bar in the center be? Wait, is it bolted separately? Can it be removed? Can I make a ski slot??

Last edited by jonathancl; 03-07-05 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 08:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
First: OMG naked car!

Second: why isn't there a slot for skis to slide through from the trunk like in the BMW?
Think it would be safe to cut that bar in the center and make my own? How structural can that be? Or wait, is it bolted separately? Can it be removed? Can someone please answer these questions?? Soon??
It's been a while since I took my mechanical engineering courses, but based on what I understand, I'd say the "V" shaped part is critical to minimizing body flex, but the up & down bar will be a minimal structure loss.

These parts all un-bolt, so go for it. You could test it out and see if you can sense the rear of the car a little loose when going through hard turns. Also you might hear some creaking when you drive the car at an angle up a driveway.

If you have aftermarket sway bars, this creaking will be even more evident.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-06-05 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 08:14 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
The "V" shaped part is critical to minimizing body flex, but the up & down bar will be a minimal structure loss.

These parts all un-bolt, so go for it. You could test it out and see if you can sense the rear of the car a little loose when going through hard turns. Also you might hear some creaking when you drive the car at an angle up a driveway.

If you have aftermarket sway bars, this creaking will be even more evident.
I'm boring, stock handling. 'Hard turns' have gotten me into trouble already, so I take it easy.

Yay! I'm making a ski slot! Just in time for Spring, too! Stay tuned for pictures...as soon as it gets warmer.

edit: we both edited our posts after we quoted each other.

Last edited by jonathancl; 03-06-05 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I'm boring, stock handling. 'Hard turns' have gotten me into trouble already, so I take it easy.

Yay! I'm making a ski slot! Just in time for Spring, too! Stay tuned for pictures...as soon as it gets warmer.

edit: we both edited our posts after we quoted each other.
so you going to take away that bar and punch through the seats for the "hole"?
Old 03-07-05, 06:48 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
so you going to take away that bar and punch through the seats for the "hole"?
The term you're looking for is ski hatch. 'hole'...

Oh and sorry for thread hijacking...these are awesome naked pictures.
Old 03-07-05, 09:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

rominl: Thanks for response regarding unplugging the speedo

bluelex: Thank you for the detailed pictures of the dash

jonathancl: I was thinking about the same thing regarding the pass-through. I also had a crazy thought about putting a small fridge back there too (if not making a "pass-through" ). I thought about cutting that bar that goes down the middle and have someone weld 2 supporting bars or maybe just drill holes and attaching them with screws.

Sorry about going off-topic, again
Attached Thumbnails exchanging full interior-holegs.jpg  
Old 03-07-05, 01:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

imho you might even skip the "add" part
Old 03-07-05, 01:16 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Felt The Clips.

Originally Posted by bluelex
great all i read is that the dash is going to be a pain... ....and of course thats the one piece in my project that didn't come out like how i wanted and had to buy a replacement for. its funny looking at my new blk dash on my kitchen floor it looks like just 14 or so bolts in easy to reach places. mayb its easier to take off when you know where all the bolts and screws are, i guess i can look at the new one for location and mayb make the job easier but it looks like i'm going to need more than one person to help me pull it out cus it had thpse push clips than lock in a socket in the back of the dash...becareful pulling it out..

if you guys want i could take pics of the back of my dash to help you know where these puch plugs are and some of the bolts? let me know.
Hey Blue,
I recommend you put some felt tape or foam on those clips in back of the dash you mentioned. One thing about doing this kind of job is that once you put it back together sometimes things start to rattle. Those clips are notorious for that. P.I.T.A!!!!! Anyway it might be a goods idea to put some of that felt on anything you suspect might rattle latter on. At the dealerships we have these "felt kits" just for this purpose. Let me know if you want some. I might be able to send you some if you like or just go to any dealership and I'm sure they would have it in stock. Good luck.
Will
Old 03-07-05, 02:13 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Hey Blue,
I recommend you put some felt tape or foam on those clips in back of the dash you mentioned. One thing about doing this kind of job is that once you put it back together sometimes things start to rattle. Those clips are notorious for that. P.I.T.A!!!!! Anyway it might be a goods idea to put some of that felt on anything you suspect might rattle latter on. At the dealerships we have these "felt kits" just for this purpose. Let me know if you want some. I might be able to send you some if you like or just go to any dealership and I'm sure they would have it in stock. Good luck.
Will
whats felt tape.. how do you apply it? i might just get some if its something that will help...
Old 03-07-05, 03:46 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Felt Tape

Originally Posted by bluelex
whats felt tape.. how do you apply it? i might just get some if its something that will help...
Blue,
Felt tape is a cloth like material with a sticky backing. Just like Scotch tape. Just peel it back and apply. It comes in a kit called "Interior Noise Kit" Part number 08231-00801. The kit comes with an assortment of foam and felt that we use to fix rattles. Your local dealer should have it in stock. There is also another kit called "Wind Noise Kit" Part number 08231-00810. This kit has some rubberized foam tape thats also good for this purpose. Good luck.
Will
Old 03-07-05, 04:03 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt clublexus great.... i asked a simple question about taking out interior and here we are on our third page on this subject...... thanks everybody.....
Old 03-07-05, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Blue,
Felt tape is a cloth like material with a sticky backing. Just like Scotch tape. Just peel it back and apply. It comes in a kit called "Interior Noise Kit" Part number 08231-00801. The kit comes with an assortment of foam and felt that we use to fix rattles. Your local dealer should have it in stock. There is also another kit called "Wind Noise Kit" Part number 08231-00810. This kit has some rubberized foam tape thats also good for this purpose. Good luck.
Will
wow damn, this is super amazing!!!!

hey man, which dealership do you work for if you don't mind me asking? or you can pm me if you want. maybe i can use some of those stuff

Quick Reply: exchanging full interior