GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

exchanging full interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 08:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelGs
For those that have black interiors...Aren't we glad that we don't have to go thru this kind of craziness..Seem like their lots of works...Great Job friendz..
shut up joel and stop rubbing it in....before i come steal yours
Old 01-09-09, 06:37 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
fyi guys....dye starts to fade and crack after time and looks like crap!
Not true. With adhesion promoter and correct prep it'll last a long long time. Especially if its parked indoors, having tinted windows helps preserve it as well. I'm putting together a how-to interior thread i'll link to this one which dispels internet myths like painting/dying interior pieces. If it looks like crap its usually human error. However if the car has had armor-all or equivalent on it over the years it can make things difficult. The difference between using dye and prep and dye is the same as the difference between painting your interior pieces with a krylon can and painting it with automotive paint with a clear coat. But you can read all about that if you'd like shortly.
Old 01-10-09, 02:08 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

soo adrain you had to contend with all that wiring while removing and reinstalling the new dash ?? and it only took 30 min ??
Old 02-25-09, 12:17 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump for the second time.

Originally Posted by BigVIPness
I changed my entire interior from tan to black. If you use black dye (SEM classic coat satin black) and a adhesion promoter you will be solid. Prep is everything. Get everything really clean by rubbing it with LAVA soap. The grit in the soap preps the surface for paint and gets all the crap out of it. You know what screw it i'll just make a DIY interior thread. Give me an hour or 2.
it's been more than 2hours!!

Originally Posted by JoelGs
For those that have black interiors...Aren't we glad that we don't have to go thru this kind of craziness..Seem like their lots of works...Great Job friendz..
I hate you
Old 02-25-09, 06:48 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
soo adrain you had to contend with all that wiring while removing and reinstalling the new dash ?? and it only took 30 min ??
I just noticed this, sorry for the late reply. 1st I had a hand with my buddy John helping me. 2nd All those wires look confusing in pics but there are only a few plugs on the back of the dash and they all have different sizes so you can't confuse which male goes to which female. They are certain lenths so you know exatcly where everything plugs back in and the dash only has about 10 screews holding it in so yes the dash itself only took us about 30 min or so to put back but of course han you have all the other components to put back in like the center console, steering wheel and vents but dash it self only about 30 total to secure it back in...total job was about 3hrs for me to put everything back together but remember i replaced the carpet aswell. having the whole interiot gutted...
Old 02-26-09, 02:01 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
it's been more than 2hours!!
Haha dang forgot all about this. Good thing I didn't post anything up telling people to dye their interiors. I have found the fatal flaw of the dye and started wrapping my interior pieces. THAT I will do a DIY for.

The wiring at first glance is like "god dirty damn it what have I done. I'm going to have to tow this car to lexus with my tail between my legs..." but the truth is lexus is SMART and there are no 2 plugs that are the same. At least not within a short distance of eachother.

And for those wondering what the fatal flaw with dyed interiors is... it's that you get a 12 tone black interior. It's impossible to keep track of coats (even if you did it wouldn't change the outcome) so what happens is your upper door and lower door are different shades of black. If you try and make something darker its completely hit or miss. Too much SEM and it gets glossy as ***** and looks terrible. At first I didn't really notice but once I didn't I couldn't un-notice. I like my new color though, keeps me alert when I drive
Old 02-26-09, 09:27 AM
kit cat

Haha dang forgot all about this. Good thing I didn't post anything up telling people to dye their interiors. I have found the fatal flaw of the dye and started wrapping my interior pieces. THAT I will do a DIY for.

The wiring at first glance is like "god dirty damn it what have I done. I'm going to have to tow this car to lexus with my tail between my legs..." but the truth is lexus is SMART and there are no 2 plugs that are the same. At least not within a short distance of eachother.

And for those wondering what the fatal flaw with dyed interiors is... it's that you get a 12 tone black interior. It's impossible to keep track of coats (even if you did it wouldn't change the outcome) so what happens is your upper door and lower door are different shades of black. If you try and make something darker its completely hit or miss. Too much SEM and it gets glossy as ***** and looks terrible. At first I didn't really notice but once I didn't I couldn't un-notice. I like my new color though, keeps me alert when I drive
that's what I was afraid of when dying. Rewrapping my interior seems really expensive...

anybody want a tan interior? I'll trade my tan for a black one!
Old 02-26-09, 09:32 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Too much SEM and it gets glossy as ***** and looks terrible. At first I didn't really notice but once I didn't I couldn't un-notice though keeps me alert when I drive
Ummm...why are your ***** glossy? You might be polishing them a bit too much.

Big Mack

PS: I have the tan interior, and much prefer it. Living in AZ, black just likens the chances of burning your *** too much. Just say no to cooking your nads.
Old 02-26-09, 05:40 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Rewrapping my interior seems really expensive...
What if I told you you could do it yourself in 2-3 days for under $300? That doesn't include seats but thats doors, dash, and all the other little bits in between. The biggest issue is painting the little pieces cause there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. I want to make a video DIY for the whole thing but I feel like that is a HUGE **** move to anyone who does this stuff for a living (myself included) so I dunno
Old 02-26-09, 09:39 PM
kit cat

What if I told you you could do it yourself in 2-3 days for under $300? That doesn't include seats but thats doors, dash, and all the other little bits in between. The biggest issue is painting the little pieces cause there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. I want to make a video DIY for the whole thing but I feel like that is a HUGE **** move to anyone who does this stuff for a living (myself included) so I dunno
I am so in!!

I actually heard from the Audi guys that it's not that bad. Seats...might as well get Sparcos or Recaros. I'm acutally actively looking for cheap Recaros now and thinking about re-wrapping them in tan b/c I HATE the OEM seats and the seating position.

...but re-wrapping leather seats = lots of $$$$$$

Last edited by kit cat; 02-26-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 10:26 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who wrapped the dash and all your door panels that what i want to do i have two tone seat covers but don't want to install them till i can do it all
Old 05-04-09, 10:28 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use a scotch pad to get rid of the gloss by the way it will even it out not make it so shiny
Old 05-04-09, 10:31 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, i didnt even realize that this thread was up! Ive done the dirty task of swapping my interior to a full blk interior!
Old 01-13-10, 10:45 PM
kit cat

well, I guess I'm bumping this, yet again....

Bluelex> any rattles after you swapped interiors? and did you use any felt tape like mentioned above?

I've taken out all 4 door panels, front&rear seats, rear panel thing, and seat belt covers and probably could pull it out fairly easily. I'm just not sure on the dash, steering, but most of all, seat belt assy. I didn't look closely but when I was doing my audio, it looked like the rear seat belts are on there pretty tightly...I would HATE to have all black w/ tan seat belts.

Also, where are the side airbags? in the pillars?

and has anyone dyed their tan carpet before?
Old 01-14-10, 12:32 AM
criminalR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not bad .........my 3rd time.....once you get the center consol radio cluster and glove out the dash itself comes out in 10-15 min depends on how many breaks you take.........
Attached Thumbnails exchanging full interior-picture-583.jpg   exchanging full interior-picture-582.jpg  

Quick Reply: exchanging full interior