GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

things you hate about GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05 | 11:37 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
What were you trying to find?
MY MOJO!

the mysterious coin holder!
Old 03-07-05 | 11:38 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

The one thing that I always think about that bugs the crap out of me is (1) I WISH THAT YOU COULD TURN ON THE ACCESSORIE LIGHTS/RADIO WITHOUT THE GODD*&MN STEERING WHEEL AOUTOMATILCALLY ADJUSTING!
Old 03-07-05 | 11:59 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

For an otherwise almost perfect car, my gripes are very minor. Hey, when you have the perfect car, faults are much more niticeable:

1. Ride height
2. Floaty suspension
3. Throttle lag on acceleration from a stop
4. A few rattles
5. Numb and lifeless steering
6. Noisy interior (compared to my previous car - 96 MB E320). Otherwise very quiet compared to my 97 Maxima SE.

That's it! This is the best car I have have ever had. It never fails to start, the thrust from the V8 always brings a big smile to my face, it has never ever been to a workshop because something got broken or stopped working. Built like a tank and I am sure it will last forever.

I have no regrets buying this car and after modding it, none of the problems I described above (other than the noisy interior) exist anymore. It is now just perfect!
Old 03-07-05 | 01:24 PM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
kevin,

just curious, what's wrong with the headrest?

guess it must be the gs430. my is300 and sc430 heated seat works pretty fast
The headrest doesn't come forward enough. The Audi is adjustable forward enough that you can actually rest your neck a bit without leaning back so far people think you're in the ghetto. If you've never had a car with a good headrest you don't know what you're missing. If there's no aftermarket one or a different model with a better one that tilts forward more and can be swaped someone should make one.

As for the seat heater I think you misunderstood. I meant that the Audi heated seats with 8 power levels isn't really any better. It gets a little hotter in the end but it takes a long time to get up that high. By the time the seat is heated the coolant temps are up enough to heat the cabin anyway.

Kevin
Old 03-07-05 | 04:12 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kevin Wyum
The headrest doesn't come forward enough. The Audi is adjustable forward enough that you can actually rest your neck a bit without leaning back so far people think you're in the ghetto. If you've never had a car with a good headrest you don't know what you're missing. If there's no aftermarket one or a different model with a better one that tilts forward more and can be swaped someone should make one.
Are you talking about front or rear headrests? If you're talking about front, that's weird. I have NEVER rested my head on the headrests while I'm driving. I'm too scared to. I bet it'll make me fall asleep pretty damn fast.
Old 03-07-05 | 04:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Cadd
Are you talking about front or rear headrests? If you're talking about front, that's weird. I have NEVER rested my head on the headrests while I'm driving. I'm too scared to. I bet it'll make me fall asleep pretty damn fast.
ummm, same here, i have driven a lot of long distance, but i hardly put my head on the headrest... i don't think that's a comfortable pose for driving?

but then maybe i have never had a good headrest like kevin mentioned
Old 03-07-05 | 06:19 PM
Master-GS
Driver School Candidate

My RL had really nice headrests! I bet the GS will be better though!
Old 03-07-05 | 07:15 PM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
ummm, same here, i have driven a lot of long distance, but i hardly put my head on the headrest... i don't think that's a comfortable pose for driving?

but then maybe i have never had a good headrest like kevin mentioned

Exactly. A good headrest adjusts forward enough so that your head isn't tipped back at all for the most part. You can't use the GS headrests because they're too far back and it would be like trying to take a nap staring at the headliner instead of having it support your head very close to a normal driving position, keeps your neck from getting sore when done right. Imagine your normal driving position then imagine moving your head back maybe an inch and having the headrest there to lean against. It doesn't put you to sleep, it actually makes long drives a lot easier since your neck doesn't get sore. Trust me it feels very natural after 5 years in my A6 and I think even my Taurus SHO in the mid to early 90's had a good one as well.

Come to think of it it's safer as well since in an accident from behind your head will already be braced against it and no whiplash effect. I did a lot fabrication work on twin turbo RX7's so if nobody makes anything like this or something else doesn't swap in I'll probably make one.

Kevin
Old 03-07-05 | 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Exactly. A good headrest adjusts forward enough so that your head isn't tipped back at all for the most part. You can't use the GS headrests because they're too far back and it would be like trying to take a nap staring at the headliner instead of having it support your head very close to a normal driving position, keeps your neck from getting sore when done right. Imagine your normal driving position then imagine moving your head back maybe an inch and having the headrest there to lean against. It doesn't put you to sleep, it actually makes long drives a lot easier since your neck doesn't get sore. Trust me it feels very natural after 5 years in my A6 and I think even my Taurus SHO in the mid to early 90's had a good one as well.

Come to think of it it's safer as well since in an accident from behind your head will already be braced against it and no whiplash effect. I did a lot fabrication work on twin turbo RX7's so if nobody makes anything like this or something else doesn't swap in I'll probably make one.

Kevin
interesting, maybe i should go visit audi dealer some time
Old 03-08-05 | 06:58 AM
hsinchong
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LB Lex
You'll love the GS for sure. Like stated earlier in this thread, these complaints pale in comparison to seats that catch on fire or being stranded because the engine dies and won't restart. Sometimes other car brands are notorious for routinely being in the shop for repairs, thank god Lexus doesn't have these severe problems.
\

Throttle position sensor malfunction trigger the VSC and check engine lights on and the gs breaks down at once. Very disappointed on GS
Old 03-08-05 | 07:01 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

How about we take all of the things we hate about the GS and send this to LEXUS Headquarters I think they will get a kick out of these complaints.
Old 03-08-05 | 07:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Kevin
I know exactly what you are talking about as my previous car - a 96 MB E320 had headrests exactly like that! I miss those headrests. If you make one for the GS, I will be your first customer!
Old 03-08-05 | 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by hsinchong
\

Throttle position sensor malfunction trigger the VSC and check engine lights on and the gs breaks down at once. Very disappointed on GS
man, must be a bad experience. you got your car used?
Old 11-09-05 | 09:45 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

It's bring back old thread time.

No one complained about how e-shift is a joke.

For example: I put it in 3 and WANT to lug the engine and go from 2000-6000 and really enjoy the music the V8 makes. But no it decides to down shifts into 1 or 2. It should hold the gear that I put it in and stay there. It should only take over when the driver is obviously making a mistake.

Or how about if you go below 25 mph, the cruise forgets the last setting. How annoying.
Old 11-09-05 | 09:58 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IAGS400
It's bring back old thread time.

No one complained about how e-shift is a joke.

For example: I put it in 3 and WANT to lug the engine and go from 2000-6000 and really enjoy the music the V8 makes. But no it decides to down shifts into 1 or 2. It should hold the gear that I put it in and stay there.
This has been discussed before and some people have a hard time grasping how e-shift works. Do a search and you will see.

I like the e-shift. It's like a game controller in my hands.

Quick Reply: things you hate about GS