GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

things you hate about GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 11:33 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmgs400

I like the e-shift. It's like a game controller in my hands.
I concur!
Old 11-09-05, 12:20 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been discussed before and some people have a hard time grasping how e-shift works. Do a search and you will see.

I like the e-shift. It's like a game controller in my hands.
We are in a tread called "things you hate about a GS". Well, I hate how it works.

I had already did the search and understand how it works.

A 1998 Dodge Stratus with autostick will allow standing starts in 4th (it only has 4 gears) and also allows downshifts that will put the engine right to its redline. You can put it in a gear at low rpms and stand on the gas and it will hold that gear all the way to redline and then bang off the rev limiter.
Old 11-09-05, 12:24 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that they stopped making it
Old 11-09-05, 12:59 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IAGS400
We are in a tread called "things you hate about a GS". Well, I hate how it works.

I had already did the search and understand how it works.
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers bro...

A 1998 Dodge Stratus with autostick will allow standing starts in 4th (it only has 4 gears)
Why would anyone want to start in 4th gear?? Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say??
and also allows downshifts that will put the engine right to its redline. You can put it in a gear at low rpms and stand on the gas and it will hold that gear all the way to redline and then bang off the rev limiter.
I too can put my GS4, using e-shift, to any low gear (except 1st) and push it to the rev limiter as long as I care to.
From a standstill though, the GS will start out in 1st gear unless ECT is in snow mode..then it starts in 2nd gear.
Old 11-09-05, 01:10 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I too can put my GS4, using e-shift, to any low gear (except 1st) and push it to the rev limiter as long as I care to.
From a standstill though, the GS will start out in 1st gear unless ECT is in snow mode..then it starts in 2nd gear.
Yep, same here! You can hold the gear in any gear you want to using e-shift and rev it to the red line and it bangs off the rev limiter.
Old 11-09-05, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Yep, same here! You can hold the gear in any gear you want to using e-shift and rev it to the red line and it bangs off the rev limiter.
actually, techically you control the highest gear the car is in. so if you put it in 4, it still starts on 1st gear from stop, then all the way to 4th but it won't go into 5th

however, why would anyone every want a car where you put it in 4th and it actually starts from stop in 4th, that's beyond me. that can't be good to teh tranny at all no matter what, and it doesn't make much sense? starting from 2nd in snow i can understand, but 4th? even with a real stick shift you don't do that
Old 11-09-05, 01:20 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
actually, techically you control the highest gear the car is in. so if you put it in 4, it still starts on 1st gear from stop, then all the way to 4th but it won't go into 5th

however, why would anyone every want a car where you put it in 4th and it actually starts from stop in 4th, that's beyond me. that can't be good to teh tranny at all no matter what, and it doesn't make much sense? starting from 2nd in snow i can understand, but 4th? even with a real stick shift you don't do that
Thank you sir.

And no offense to IAGS400, but I didn't want any other current or potention 98~00 GS400 owners to be misled.
Old 11-09-05, 01:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Thank you sir.

And no offense to IAGS400, but I didn't want any other current or potention 98~00 GS400 owners to be misled.
Misled about what?
Old 11-09-05, 01:37 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Misled about what?
IAGS400 first post was only a with list...that's ok. I thought maybe he didn't understand how e-shift worked, thus my response.

He then stated..
"A 1998 Dodge Stratus with autostick allows downshifts that will put the engine right to its redline. You can put it in a gear at low rpms and stand on the gas and it will hold that gear all the way to redline and then bang off the rev limiter."
..and I thought he was implying the GS400 with e-shift won't do the same.
Old 11-09-05, 02:35 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Rattle. Damn right side of the dash has a rattle...

kind of annoying
Old 11-09-05, 03:19 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Having owned my car for 8 months, I can say with all honesty that there is WAY more to love than hate. If fact, there isn't ANYTHING to hate. A few annoyances, but they are more from personal preference. They are:

1) Cornering lights. My SHO had them, my GS doesn't, I miss them.

2) The console hinge. The console opens front to back. Would rather have it hinged on the side.

3) Shifter. I am more of a front to back shifting guy. (The side gates take some getting used to)

4) Handling. Could be better.

I recently took a vacation, 1400 miles. 110 a good part of the way. Made about .5 mile per gallon difference in mileage. (The highway in Oregon is long, straight and deserted)
used no oil, car behaved flawlessly.
Old 11-09-05, 05:03 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Sorry everyone, I guess I did sound upset. I don't know how I misled anyone.

If I am going lets say 25 and I put the car in e-shift and set it to 5th and then stop it to the floor, what happens, it downshifts. Right? But I didn't ask it to. That is how I thought a paddle shifted auto would work.

Other cars, like a Stratus, will stay in the requested gear. As "rominl" just said. You only control the highest possible gear. By the way, that was the best description of e-shift that I have read so far.

I was trying to give an example that caused more questions than answers. I'm glad I don't make "how to assemble something instructions" for a living.
Old 11-09-05, 05:15 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

the radio volume changing when u switch from radio to cd

the way the door opens... there are little transitions that the door can stay in a certain positions... basically almost everytime i open the door to get in the door will swing back shut... don't know if that makes sense... i dont' know how to explain it
Old 11-09-05, 06:10 PM
sfkid
Driver School Candidate

Just a few little items:

1) stock suspension float
2) rattles.. rear headrest (or something.. haven't located it) and sunroof (now I read there may be a fix via henry)
3) interior noise - mostly L-tune exhaust drone

that said..
- fixed the float w some springs/shocks .. heck, zero finger height on 19s and still acceptable ride
- installed some dynamat like material to trunk, behind and below back seat. you still hear the exhaust, but is it now 'outside' the car.

now I gotta look for the change holder and do a search for the sunroof liner rattle thread
Old 11-09-05, 06:15 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LsportGS4
Rattle. Damn right side of the dash has a rattle...

kind of annoying
Ive got the same rattle..dont know if its the right side of the dash, or somewhere in the middle Sometimes is sounds as if its coming from behind the center consel, behind the ac vents or radio???

Quick Reply: things you hate about GS