GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

things you hate about GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 06:20 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markgs4
Ive got the same rattle..dont know if its the right side of the dash, or somewhere in the middle Sometimes is sounds as if its coming from behind the center consel, behind the ac vents or radio???

yeh.... its a very odd sound too. Its not like the something is rubbing .... its like a light taping sound.

Ill have to play w/ it one day and figure out where its coming from, cause w/o my music playing i start to get annoyed on a bump street
Old 11-09-05, 07:35 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LsportGS4
yeh.... its a very odd sound too. Its not like the something is rubbing .... its like a light taping sound.

Ill have to play w/ it one day and figure out where its coming from, cause w/o my music playing i start to get annoyed on a bump street
My sentiments exactly....may try to open up that center consel this weekend to see if I can find anything, because without the radio on, its getting on my nerves...
Old 11-09-05, 08:02 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LsportGS4

bro me too..thats why i always have the radio on so i dont to have to hear the little things...
Old 11-09-05, 08:11 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

People Won't Stop Banging It With Their Damn Car Doors!!!!!

John
Old 11-09-05, 08:35 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

There has to be a DIY tutorial showing how to fix this rattle we are talking about...
Old 11-09-05, 09:00 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate that it takes all of my money!!!
Old 11-09-05, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IAGS400
Sorry everyone, I guess I did sound upset. I don't know how I misled anyone.

If I am going lets say 25 and I put the car in e-shift and set it to 5th and then stop it to the floor, what happens, it downshifts. Right? But I didn't ask it to. That is how I thought a paddle shifted auto would work.

Other cars, like a Stratus, will stay in the requested gear. As "rominl" just said. You only control the highest possible gear. By the way, that was the best description of e-shift that I have read so far.

I was trying to give an example that caused more questions than answers. I'm glad I don't make "how to assemble something instructions" for a living.
umm, very interesting. personally i think that's a very stupid design. how can you even start a car in 4th gear.... can't even do that with a stick shift, if you do that it's like killing your tranny.

and about eshift, actually it says very clearly in the manual that it sets the highest gear the car could be in. personally i think it makes sense? every time you need powr you just punch it and it's there?
Old 11-09-05, 09:37 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that you cant drive with just the driver side window down - the wind hits you right in the face, have to put rest of the windows down a bit, the water rattle going through the cooling/heating system which sounds like pebbles sometimes is annoying - other than that, everything can be improved with the input of clublexus -
This is best forum I've ever been a part, the best people.............. .
Old 11-09-05, 09:38 PM
PrlGS3
Pole Position

1. Hate the stock height of the car. Even w/ L-tuned S&S, the front could be a little lower.
2. Hate the loose steering.
3. Hate that freakin' clicking/rattle that the moon roof lid does. This really gets on my nerves.

Other than those things, I LOVE my GS!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-05, 04:06 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by markgs4
Ive got the same rattle..dont know if its the right side of the dash, or somewhere in the middle Sometimes is sounds as if its coming from behind the center consel, behind the ac vents or radio???
I've noticed a rattle, but only with the AC on and fan at low speed I can hear it. It's not constant, rather like a few light clicks and it stops..then again and stops. Almost thought a mouse was living in my car dash board. I think it may be a small stepper motor controlling vents, just a SWAG.
Old 11-10-05, 04:12 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexT
I hate that you cant drive with just the driver side window down - the wind hits you right in the face, have to put rest of the windows down a bit, the water rattle going through the cooling/heating system which sounds like pebbles sometimes is annoying - other than that, everything can be improved with the input of clublexus -
This is best forum I've ever been a part, the best people.............. .
Bro..I concur. So it's the water that's making the rattle..it does sound like small pebbles, but oh so quiet.

Is it just my car, but try driving with one rear window down at 50 mph..right rear...and I get an air pressure oscillation that is almost deafening.
Old 11-10-05, 04:18 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PrlGS3
3. Hate that freakin' clicking/rattle that the moon roof lid does. This really gets on my nerves.
Me too. I've learned to just not to slide it closed all the way. I'll nudge it back 1/4 inch so it's not rubbing...no clilcking.
Old 11-10-05, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Bro..I concur. So it's the water that's making the rattle..it does sound like small pebbles, but oh so quiet.

Is it just my car, but try driving with one rear window down at 50 mph..right rear...and I get an air pressure oscillation that is almost deafening.
well that shows how good the insulation of the car is
Old 11-10-05, 11:58 AM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Okay here are my gripes for the 2nd gen:

Stock suspension is floaty and too high. Lexus should've had a factory option for a sport suspension (like BMW) for a lower height w/ stiffer springs and shocks, a LSD, and bigger rims (18" instead of just 17"), bigger rotors (poss. cross-drilled and slotted), and maybe Brembo or similar calipers.

Sluggish throttle response.

No manual option, or at least a sport shift mode for the automatic. (which 3rd gen has).

Moonroof shade rattle (did the Henry fix, improved but still some rattle).

No front seat cooling (like 3rd gen), only heat option.

More wind and road noise that LS or ES.

Sun visors feel kinda cheap, plus no extenders or second visor (to block front and side simultaneously).

Temp display should be on dash/instrument panel instead of pushing climate button to display on nav screen.

No LED taillights or interior lights (3rd gen has).

Cup holders (front and back) not very secure in holding down drinks.

No back up camera option or DVD video capability for nav screen (3rd gen has).

Btw Henry the storage/coin compartment mentioned earlier is pretty small and useless, but it does fit quite a few quarters standing on edge (and if completely filled from left to right it keeps the coins from jingling around).

But all in all, the GS is still a great car. I'm sure if we did a list of gripes about most any other car there would be tons of stuff listed.
Old 11-10-05, 01:13 PM
rizgs300
Rookie

i agree with most if not all what everybody else has bought up. i get the rattling, have experienced a little but not much of the headlight condensation (i keep my car in a garage which i think somewhat prevents this issue from happening -- maybe someone can prove me right/wrong?)

the range for keyless entry does suck...and when i installed my eclipse navi in the car, we had to hardwire it in which took forever -- for some reason, there was no harness available that lets you do plug and play with the unit. we had to chop up the car, get into the amp, splice open the speaker wires and hook it up. while doing this, i lost the capability to have my sub hooked up (unless i get a new amp, which should be coming soon). did anyone else experience this hassle while getting an eclipse install done?

Quick Reply: things you hate about GS