GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

things you hate about GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 05:07 PM
ZinikGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some GS's have coin holders and some have headlight washers. My GS has a headlight washer...I live in Canada...my cousin in Florida's GS has a coin holder where I have my headlight washer button.

As for things I dislike:

-headlight condensation
-steering wheel vibration
-hesitation when you floor the throttle
-not enough engine/exhaust noise gets into the cabin when you gun it
-there should be a way to leave the gauges on full brightness. Normally they vary with ambient light. On my friend's LS400 you can put the gauges really bright and leave them that way.
-no stereo buttons on steering wheel (98 model)
-e-shift does its own thing sometimes

Last edited by ZinikGS; 11-10-05 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 01:45 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

what I hate about my GS: it's total'd!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-05, 05:03 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

It's not invisible. I still get pulled over sometimes.
Old 11-24-05, 09:24 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

1. I too have the dashboard rattle on the passenger side. It appears to me to be somewhat of a low pitched "creaking" like dissimilar plastics rubbing together. I only have this in cold weather.

2. I also agree with the center console issue. It is not very accessible from any seated position. It should be hinged on the passenger side but that would require a gap between the center console and the passenger seat. Possibly something Lexus engineers considered but could not compromise anything else to provide the gap. I do love the dual chamber console. It freaks some people out like it is magic or something.

3. My wife has issues with the auto up/down windows. I tell her she will get used to it. I control it just fine.

4. I also have the headlight condensation on my 02 GS300 but not on my 98 GS300. It is inside of all 4 front lights but the outside of the lights is clouded also. Like someone ArmorAlled the plastic and it reacted with the sun. I am waiting on some restorer solution to see if it helps the outside.

5. I have tried several solutions to program a remote to my 98 without success. I have had success with my 02. I currently have no working remote to the 98 and it is a pain.

6. I would like to be able to brighten the guages at night too. Can get a bit too dim at night especially with tint.

Overall, I love the car. The 02 is my first Lexus and bought it only a couple of months ago. My wife was so jealous that within a month, although financially not prepared, I bought her the 98. Paid retail on the 02 but got the 98 for $5000 under book value. Both cars are great and plan to keep them for a long time. I don't have a problem with the ride or performance of either car.
Old 11-24-05, 08:42 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

I hate the fact that I love my GS so much it has taken over my life!

My 4Runner is feeling neglected since it has sat in the driveway for three weeks straight and hasn't been driven once!

Last edited by 4GRAINR; 11-24-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 05:10 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HD-GS4
The hesitation used to bother me too. Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Transmission fluid flush with Toyota T IV fluid.
2. Change ECT power mode to "power".

You would think that changing the ECT mode to power would change my gas mileage, but it has not noticeably changed it. I absolutely love the power mode. The car now drives and shifts as it should have all along.
I agree. I now drive my SC400 in POWER all the time. I still manage 18 or so mpg.
Old 12-22-05, 11:43 PM
speedie
Pole Position

I hate the fact that you can't hear the turn signal click / beep when you have the radio on...Sometimes I ride for miles and don't realize it is on..

By the way anybody have a fix for this?? and no I'm not turning my radio off
Old 12-23-05, 05:59 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedie
I hate the fact that you can't hear the turn signal click / beep when you have the radio on...Sometimes I ride for miles and don't realize it is on..

How can you not see that big green arrowhead flashing on the dash board? On my '01 those signal lights are almost a nusance being so large. Any of you guys remember hood mounted signal lights like the old Cadillacs had? There's an option to help remind you to turn them off.
Old 12-23-05, 06:44 AM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

well i wouldnt say i really hate anything theres just a few things that get on my nerves like:

sweeky center concole where arm rest is

and loose suspension......i dont find much wrong with these cars......
Old 12-23-05, 08:39 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speedie

I see fold uckers doing that all the time.

Having owned my GS-430 for almost one year, and if I had to be pushed to find fault with the car, the only real annoyance I can find is; These cars really need a limited slip differiental. My 55 chevy had better traction in wet or semi slick weather.

Infinity, Accura = Lexus wannabees!
Old 12-24-05, 03:35 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a good thread - Next week -I'll have my car for 7 years since I ordered mine in 1998. I still love my car and look at it like its the first day I picked her up. I don't hate but have some gripes about the car. I'll try to mention some things - most of you haven't mentioned.

1. Passenger Mirror does not tilt down in Reverse like same year LS400's.

2. Back seat leg room is non-existence when the front seat is all the way back.

3. The Auto Re-Cirulating mode is weird - It switches all the time - I just manually set which
mode I prefer.

4. The E-Shift is not quick enough on the gear changes (I feel like I press it and wait for it to change)

5. E-Shift doesn't start in 1st Gear.

6. My driver window motor is alitle slow.

7. Sometimes Sluggish acceleration & Rough Idles but if you keep the AC on then it Idles fine.

8. No pass through to Trunk

9. Never been a fan of the Foot-Park Brake.

10. No Audio controls on Steering Wheel.

11. The Optitron gauges gets dim sometimes and needs to be reset (If you don't know how) Goto a bright gas station at night and keep the car running and turn the dial down for 15 secs then turn it back up. It should reset it to Real Bright as it has worked for me.

12. No CD slot in Dash (Atleast the changer is in the Glove box (Big Plus)

13. The Glove box is shallow.

14. The tires are not wide enough for the performance level the car is at. Mine came with th 17x8's it seems alittle wimpy.

15. Trunk lid does not raise when popped (Even the IS300 pops up).

16. The AC in my car is too strong. I can not leave the vertical dial vent adjuster in the midde setting it will push the dial setting to either Full or Not Blowing (Blocked) - But on the Driver side its a horizontal dial (no problem) This is not a big deal since its a plus having a Strong AC.

17. Remote does not roll windows up since they rolled them down.

18. Even when you have pulled the key out and the lights are still on - they won't shut off unless all your doors are close.

19. If you change your oil - you have to remove the bottom engine cover not a big deal but you have to tend with it but the its also a plus having that bottom cover to protect the engine from splash/dust.

20. Here are things thats already mentioned that are no big deal but its still there - stock exhaust is too quiet, ride height alittle high, suspension could have been sportier, brakes are good yet isn't as responsive as a sport car should be. Steering Vibration a problem that can be fixed with perfect aligment and really good balancing. Flat spots from a car sitting too long - anytime you let it sit for more than 2-3 days you will feel the jiggle.

I'm not having any issues with rattles or sqeaks. As some has mention the seats are not hot enough - I once thought this but from what I gathered from living with my car is the Heated Seats are some how connected to the Climate control and is warmer or less warm depending on your climate control setting. Now, I do believe it could be a tad warmer but I love my heated seats they feels just right.

I know I had alot ot say but I love my car with all its imperfections - atleast its imperfections I can live with. Some cars you just hate to drive them because of all the little quirks you can't stand. I'm kinda amaze how long my list was as I thought maybe one or two things but having lived with my car for 7 years - you tend to know alot about your own car.
Old 12-24-05, 11:44 PM
speedie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GWELEX
How can you not see that big green arrowhead flashing on the dash board? On my '01 those signal lights are almost a nusance being so large. Any of you guys remember hood mounted signal lights like the old Cadillacs had? There's an option to help remind you to turn them off.

Maybe if you are 5' 1' and sit with your seat all the way to the front with your seat back completely straight up..then maybe you can see the "big green arrowhead ".....otherwise at 6'4" with my seat laid back at a comfortable 45 degrees with some decent music playing on my ML system..the "big green arrowhead" is not visible or heard.....
Old 01-18-06, 05:49 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by GWELEX
i cant see them because of the angle my seat is at and the fact i have my steering wheel as low as possible

i used to have a GTP with heads up display and the signals were on there so i always knew if i left em on, plus it beeped to you after being on for a couple min because the HUD would get washed out in the sun sometimes at certain times of day and sun angles...funny when your driving and you hear extra beats in your music and wonder whats going on only to look down and realize your a jackass with his blinker on LOL

i love the car more than any other car i owned, all GMs, but the few problems i have were already noted like sensitivity of power windows, rattling & wind noise, telescoping wheel up and down with key touch (gonna get this turned off if i can, anybody know how to on a 99 GS4) and the handling is like driving a boat sometimes, the wife wont drive it for this reason which may actually be a good thing her maxima is night and day difference though, i can take corners at least 10-15mph faster in that than the gs
Old 01-18-06, 05:55 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Default Climate control

You can't change the ambient temp without turning the damn fan on. On other cars, it's as easy as turning a ****.
Old 01-18-06, 06:59 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a stock GS, and your idle is rough, you MAY have broken motor mounts. My idle has not changed since I changed my motor mounts, but now my car is so smooth, I have to check to make sure it is running. It is uncanny.

Even with an idle of 550 to 600 rpm in drive and no accessories on, it is very smooth. The engine is bouncing in the mount if it is broken.

The stock 06 GS430 idles the same way..it is smooth too. Our cars speed up if lights or a/c is turned on, but it should still be smooth with nothing on.

However, if your idle is fluctuating, then that is a different story.

Just my experience

Quick Reply: things you hate about GS