GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help me, IM MAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 09:05 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry help me, IM MAD!!!

ok, i dont know what to do, and i am MAD!!! here is myh story... like 3 weeks ago i did an oil change to my 2000 GS300 w/85k miles on it and the oil was not a black-ish color but like a caramel color, almost orange-ish. my dad looked at it right away and said that the anti-freeze had mixed w/the oil. so i look in the resevoir and it was bone dry. i open the radiator cap, EMPTY... so im like WTF?!?! i took it to my mechanic, whose shop is literally around the corner from my house and he did a few tests on it and determined that the head gasket went bad and its a $1000+ job... so now im like and . i bought this car b/c i wanted to avoid ALL these problems that people have w/cars and now here i am w/this MAJOR problem. but, i remember that i purchased an extended warranty when i bought my car and it was covered (after somewhat of a hassle) so my mechanic order the parts (also doing the timing belt and water pump since they are down there). HERE IS MY PROBLEM... they ordered the parts over 2 weeks ago and still NONE have been delivered to my mechanic. it turns out the person who took the order from my mechanic (over at the Lexus dealership), was trying to screw Lexus and NEVER put my order in. he did this with a few other orders and NO ONE knew. so my mechanic called back AGAIN today to see where the hell my parts are and they told him about this person and that he had been fired, but still NO parts for me now i have to wait until tuesday-wednesday before i get my parts and then wait for my mechanic to put my car back together. im sooooooooooooo mad right now, idk what to do. should i write a letter to corporate lexus or should i leave it alone. i havent had my car for 3 weeks now and its still not ready. what should i do

edit: mods, i dont know which forum this truly belongs in, but if you could leave it here for a couple days, i would appreciate it
Old 03-03-05, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am so sorry to hear that man, that sux...... but i don't understand. if your car is covered under extended warranty, shouldn't you get the car back to teh dealership and have them fix it? why is your mechanic doing it then? i don't know of lexus "reimbusing" outside mechanic for "warranty" work?

anyway, i don't know if you are going to get much from the lexus corp with the letter. probably worth doing the complain to get attention, and if they do anything under good will it's cool. but i wouldn't put my hope upt
Old 03-03-05, 09:45 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Wink Don't blow your gasket.

Varcity,
Dude, I feel your pain. But what you really need to do right now is take a deep breath, relax, and calm down. At least its still under warranty, right? You just need alot of patience. Your car will be fine. Writing a letter to corporate will not make your situation any better. It's not really the dealerships fault, if not for that fool working the parts counter. Hopefully, you have another car to use in the mean time. Just hang in there, and things should get better.
Btw, make sure the car did not have a coolant leak that caused the head gasket to blow in the first place. Its strange to have a head gasket go bad like that. You have to find out what caused it.
Good luck!!
Will
Old 03-03-05, 10:24 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.

1000 bucks to do a head gasket. why so expensive?
Old 03-04-05, 05:13 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am so sorry to hear that man, that sux...... but i don't understand. if your car is covered under extended warranty, shouldn't you get the car back to teh dealership and have them fix it? why is your mechanic doing it then? i don't know of lexus "reimbusing" outside mechanic for "warranty" work?

anyway, i don't know if you are going to get much from the lexus corp with the letter. probably worth doing the complain to get attention, and if they do anything under good will it's cool. but i wouldn't put my hope upt
I also voice rominl's thoughts. If there is work to be covered under extended warranty, I would bring the car to the dealership in a heartbeat. That's exactly why people buy extended warranty, to have the car repaired at a dealership which charges premium prices for parts and labor. But if you're concerned about turnaround time, then that's slightly a different story, where the dealership (from my experience) usually takes their sweet time in repairing the vehicle.

Hope all goes well with you, and keep us informed.
Old 03-04-05, 05:20 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can second that. My car was in for a day's worth of work and they kept it most of the week. Quality of the work was top notch though and I did get a loaner
Old 03-04-05, 09:48 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for the dealership. If you are under warranty, don't mess around and let the dealership deal with it. If anything comes up in the future, you can always say that the dealership worked on the problem.
Old 03-04-05, 10:38 AM
R1derfull
Driver

I agree as well. When I had my certified GS300 I took it to the dealer when I had a problem and they gave me a loaner. Now my GS430 is not under warranty and my dealer still gave me a loaner when I dropped my car off for the amp and speaker replacement a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-04-05, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by R1derfull
I agree as well. When I had my certified GS300 I took it to the dealer when I had a problem and they gave me a loaner. Now my GS430 is not under warranty and my dealer still gave me a loaner when I dropped my car off for the amp and speaker replacement a couple weeks ago.
seriously i swear that leaner doesn't really have much to do with warranty. i have been at dealership for countless times, i always see people with some very old es300 for service and get loaners. as far as i know it's up to the dealership to do it and i think lexus is pretty neat on it
Old 03-04-05, 04:10 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear your problem. If you purchased an extended warranty from a Lexus dealership, the dealership probably will offer you a free loaner vehicle too.
Old 03-04-05, 05:44 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I would think the dealer would take care of it. I would want them to do the work..
Old 03-04-05, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

varcity64 - sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't think sending a letter to Lexus corporate is the right thing to do because I don't think they're to blame. Any dealer can hire a 'rotten apple' and that's not good. Complaining to the dealer probably isn't going to do much good either because they're not sympathetic to people who don't get their cars serviced there. But like others I have to ask why, if your car is under warranty, you didn't get the work done at the dealership? Then you'd have a loaner at least for the whole job!
Old 03-05-05, 02:44 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

i hear what all you guys are saying, and i DO regret not taking my car to the dealer, but my mechanic has been workin on cars for 25 yrs+ and just knows his stuff, so i trust him. but of course, the lexus guys know our cars inside and out. also, as soon as i noticed this problem, i didnt want to drive my car anywhere, and the closest lexus dealer to my house is 45 min. away so i just took it to my guy, he diagnosed it for sure and i told him fix it. im so fed up right now, and im not the type to write a letter and complain, so im not going to do that, but i REALLY needed to vent a little and get some feedback... i guess im just going to have to wait til wednesday-thursday to get my car back and learn from this lesson
Old 03-05-05, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ummm, how about this? ask your mechanic to put the car back together. call up lexus, tell them your car has problem and ask them to tow your car on flatbed to dealership, and you want a loaner? if you have extended warranty then everything is 100% covered
Old 03-05-05, 04:56 PM
GS4
Driver

Default ..

Sorry to hear about what happened but you may still be able to have the lexus extended warranty pay for this repair. I also have the lexus extended warranty and a few weeks ago my ball joint broke. Luckily I was not driving but instead was just pumping gas. I wasnt able to find a tow truck that could have towed my car to the dealership without causing anymore damage. I called up lexus warranty 800 number and they authorized the repair to get done at the garage where I was. Lexus authorized $2400 in repaires to get done without even seeing the car. Give them a call with the mechanic and they will take care of the cost hopefully.
GS4

Last edited by GS4; 03-06-05 at 07:13 AM.