GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Debadge question help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 06:33 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Debadge question help....

So I washed the car today and wanted to debadge it. (Did the search function) So all is well except you can still see the edge of where the adhesive used to be. Basically, I have an outline of the "Lexus" and the "GS400" Tried goof off, Meguires Scratch X, and a few other things... Still cant get it out... What else can I do? The car has been a garage car and the paint is excellent. No fade or anythng like that...
Old 03-06-05, 06:41 PM
gsfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing you can do is rebadge it. i just did this yesterday if your car is black you could always go with the blk pearl set nothing else
Old 03-06-05, 06:42 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i been meaning to debadge my car, how do u do it?
Old 03-06-05, 07:30 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by svt5150
So I washed the car today and wanted to debadge it. (Did the search function) So all is well except you can still see the edge of where the adhesive used to be. Basically, I have an outline of the "Lexus" and the "GS400" Tried goof off, Meguires Scratch X, and a few other things... Still cant get it out... What else can I do? The car has been a garage car and the paint is excellent. No fade or anythng like that...
-so is the outline adhesive or is it from like paint fade? if its adhesive, use goo be gone (automotive one) just let it sit and spray it off with water hose. at first i tried rubbing the goo be gone in but that didnt do much, i then just let it work itself into the adhesive sprayed it off.

i say leave it sitting for like 5mins spray it off, keep repeating until its completely removed

-if its from paintfade get some oxidizing wax and buff the crap out of that spot.

Originally Posted by AJL0365
i been meaning to debadge my car, how do u do it?
either on a hot day use some floss... or hairblow dryer and floss it. just run the floss under the badges b/c its only adhesived to the car
Old 03-06-05, 07:40 PM
zerovise
Rookie

if nothing else works, you may have to repaint your trunk. gl with it man. peace

-tyler
Old 03-06-05, 08:31 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have no faded paint, then there is still hope.

From the description, this is NOT left over adhesive or paint fade, it is probably a slight impression made into the paint by the emblem. This is most likely just in the top surface of the clear coat and can probably be removed through wet sanding.

What you can do is block sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and running water from a garden hose. No fear on dulling the paint by sanding, the scratch X will buff it right back up. Make sure to use a rubber block to assure even pressure, DO NOT USE YOUR BARE HAND! Get a rubber block at any Kragen or Pep Boys. Make sure to apply pressure to the area that needs it.

Take your time and wet sand a little at a time. Sanding for like a minute in the same spot is probably as long as I'd go. Then go buff it back up with scratch X and see how much progress you've made.

You MUST! MUST! make sure to only sand the areas you need to and avoid taking off any more of the clear than you have to. Once you cut through the clear, there is no way to fix it without repainting.
Old 03-06-05, 08:41 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Mine did the same thing, I tried several different waxes to remove it, but it never went away ( darn Texas heat ). I finally took it to a car detail shop and they buffed the whole car and removed the excess adhesive from the rear for 80.00

I'll shoot you a pic when my car is returned to me ............
Old 03-06-05, 09:10 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by gawd
Mine did the same thing, I tried several different waxes to remove it, but it never went away ( darn Texas heat ). I finally took it to a car detail shop and they buffed the whole car and removed the excess adhesive from the rear for 80.00

I'll shoot you a pic when my car is returned to me ............

Your detail shop and my recommendation accomplish basically the same thing. Polishing compound with a machine buffer or wet sanding will remove a very minute amount of the top layer of paint. Actually detail shops will wet sand as well, when the job requires it.

Waxing just adds a protective coat on top of the paint.

Any good detail shop should be able to do this. For those that want a DIY , then my method will also work. Many people don't have buffing equipment. I do have a Porter Cable machine buffer myself, but the manual method using Scratch-X and some elbow grease can have the same result with a lot of $$ saved.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-06-05 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 09:25 PM
RMMGS4

My wifes IS even had some emblem marks when I removed the emblems from her brand new IS.

Note: To remove any glue, use 3M brand adhesive cleaner. This is the strongest chemical I've seen that is designed specifically to remove adhesive, yet won't damage paint and most plastics. PN 08984 comes in a quart metal can. I use this to remove almost any type of residue on a car body, excess wax, tree sap, tar, etc. This is the best stuff I've ever used. In NorCal it's available at Orchard Supply & Hardware.

I basically wet sanded and buffed the areas and the emblem marks went away.
Attached Thumbnails Debadge question help....-de-badged-rear.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree. when i pulled off the xpel clear bra off my g400, the WHOLE front was covered in adhessive. i got the 3m adhesive remover (per recommendation from rmmgs4 of course) and 2 hours and they are all gone
Old 03-07-05, 07:12 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also 3M makes a rubber wheel that a lot of body shop's use to remove the badges it called a gum wheel stop by your local body shop and see if the will sell you one.
Old 03-07-05, 07:38 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

when wet sanding....presoak the sandpaper and add some soap to the water... that will lub the sandpaper and make it last longer
Old 03-07-05, 08:59 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I will try it later and let you know how it goes....
Old 03-07-05, 06:15 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I debadged mine, the "GS 430" left a very slight color difference - not enough to show GS430, just enough to bug me.. My solution was to go with an Aristo badge in place of the GS 430. If U go with an Aristo badge, 1/2 your problem is solved
Old 03-07-05, 07:06 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

thx, the floss did it, yall probably know this already but really hot water gets all that stuff off. thats how i got everything off the back

Quick Reply: Debadge question help....